Ride quality - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ride quality

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Jaketj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ride quality

How is your jeeps ride quality compared to stock. List all mods that affect ride quality thanks.

Jaketj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mine rides like a Cadillac...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Temecula99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Old man Emu short arm lift with a small daystar body lift. Run 33" general grabbers and it rides awesome. Also have a Rubicon with Rubicon express short arm kit and it rides like a tank
Temecula99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Pkauf123456
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quality shocks are the most important component for ride quality.
Pkauf123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkauf123456 View Post
Quality shocks are the most important component for ride quality.
This!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The right combination of tire pressure and shock absorber are the two most important factors in ride quality. Most tires are overinflated and it's easy to get a shock absorber that rides either too stiffly or a tad less commonly, mushy. My wife, who drives a Lexus LS-430, thinks my TJ with its big suspension & 35" tires rides really well... unlike my first TJ with 32" tires that I built with the wrong shocks (ProComp ES-3000) that she hated to ride in.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Jaketj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input, so what shocks would ya'll recommend for a 3'' short arm lift, 35'' tires and minimal weight added vs stock
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketj View Post
Thanks for all the input, so what shocks would ya'll recommend for a 3'' short arm lift, 35'' tires and minimal weight added vs stock
How much do you want to spend? Shocks can cost $20 a corner up to thousands a corner. And are generally something you get what you pay for.

Are you looking to fit shocks in stock locations or are you prepared to do fab work on the mounting?

How do you plan to fit 35s with only 3" lift?
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Without significant sheet metal/fender modifications, 3" of suspension lift is not enough for 35" tires. To answer your question, a few suggested shocks include Savvy Offroad's specially valved Fox (best riding), Old Man Emu Nitrocharger, Rancho RS9000xl, or Bilstein 5100, to name a few.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Jaketj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

planning on grabbing some highline fenders for the front and trimming the rear also id like to stay under 200 a corner
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rancho makes the softest front lift springs, if they still make the soft ones. They also make stiff ones too. So get the right ones.

The soft Rancho springs are claimed to be 2.5" lift, but IME are really 3" lift.

Spring rates are 130 lbs/in front and 150 lbs/in rear. Those are same spring rates as a stock non-Rubi TJ. I've had those on an LJ and they worked great. So they'd work on a TJ too.

The next lightest springs are the OME TJ front springs. Their light and heavy load are both 140 lbs/in rate. The difference is the light springs give 2" lift and the heavy give 3". OME medium load rear springs are 160 lbs/in and 3" lift. These are same spring rates as a stock Rubicon TJ.
I have tried both the above springs on an LJ and they worked great. The Rancho were my personal favorites, but the OME were good too. The OME would be better for a heavily armored and winch equipped TJ or LJ. Rancho better for a closer to stock weight TJ or LJ.

There are also a few companies making dual rate aka variable rate springs. I have heard they ride good, but I haven' tried them. I have heard that Savvy, Metalcloak, and a couple other brands offer them. Ask what the spring rate is of the softer part of the spring so you know if it's really going to ride good.
For shocks, a couple good options, IMO: Rancho RS9000XL (on lightest setting) or even better, a custom Fox setup from Savvy Offroad. There might be other good options, but I don't know of any.

The stock front sway bar is a big part of the ride quality problem. Replace with a Currie Anti-Rock and adjust to lightet setting, or next to the lightest. Experiement until you find setting you prefer.

If you have a trailer hitch, make and install a (removeable) 50 to 60 lbs weight in the receiver. I had a 60 lbs weight made for my receiver. It helped my ride quality a lot (eliminated the short wheel-base forward/backward chop/bounce) and made rear ride softer. It also improved traction immensely, especially on snow and ice.

Adding skid plates and winch (weight) helps soften ride, but keep it light as possible when choosing equipment. I recommend aluminum skidplates, except for the gas tank skid. For gas tank skid I recommend Rokmen steel one (cause rear needs that weight for ride and traction, IMO).

The lightest setups available still add enough weight to help ride some, and don't weight your TJ down to much. The Warn M8000-S with synthetic rope is the lightest good winch I know of. A Warn M8000-S on an aluminum Savvy bumper and fairlead mount would keep front light enough, while still adding a little weight from winch (improving ride).

Also, load C tires (never D or E), and 15" aluminum wheels help ride a lot. The best riding tires I know of (that are tough enough IMO and worth having for a daily driver) are Cooper AT3, Hercules AT2, BFG AT, and perhaps Toyo AT2. Hankook ATM don't ride quite as nice as those others, but they still ride reasonably well and are tougher. I've owned BFG AT and now own Cooper AT3. I love the AT3. I'd probably be happy with any of the others I mentioned too.

I have a very bad back. I am missing a disk in my back. When I hit bumps my vertibrae collide in bone on bone collision. Very painful and detrimental! So I am very serious about a good ride. The above things got my LJ riding good.

===

One last thing you might try is better riding control arms. I just put Metalcloak arms with Duraflex bushings on my XJ (same arms that fit TJ). I haven't yet had the oppontunity to try them out, but they are reputed to help ride quality. I don't know if Metalcloak arms will help my ride quality, but I decided to try them since several people at JF recommended them.

However, I suggest doing all those other things first because they will help for sure.
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

3" lift is commonly said to clear 32" tires well.

I had 3" lift with 33 x 10.5 R15 tires (15 x 8, 4.5" BS) and they cleared fine with Warn 6" flares.

I think wider flares might increase clearance a bit.

I never rubbed anything, but I think 10.5 wide tires with wide flares was a key factor in why this setup worked well for me.

===

No way will a 3" lift clear a 35" tires. No bueno.
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Mine rides like a Cadillac...
What year, '67 or '68? Im messing with you. Everyone knows it would still be an improvement.

The TJ never rode bad imo. But most of my previous rigs were all leaf spring, or old and not a dd. After adding 3" bds front coils, 2" bds rear(which have a 200lb/in spring rate), and SJ hydros's, I ended up with a ride that was loads better then stock.

To sum it up, I was impressed with the ride quality from a lifted TJ. That combo served me very well, despite the stiff rear coils. It is more like good luck that it turned out so good. The coils were cheap, and the shocks were too. I needed tires, so I threw something budget friendly together (ok, well I ran a bb for like 2 months, but that don't count) that would allow me to fit 33's, but still be a good setup to start with, and fine tune as money comes in. I ditched the bds rear coils, and going to go with OME HD tj rear coils. I think the softer spring rate will match the bds fronts a little better. Load carrying ability isn't really important anymore since I bought a small trailer for all my wheeing/camping crap. People are always surprised when I take them for a ride, especially other Jeep owners.
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Jaketj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
3" lift is commonly said to clear 32" tires well.

I had 3" lift with 33 x 10.5 R15 tires (15 x 8, 4.5" BS) and they cleared fine with Warn 6" flares.

I think wider flares might increase clearance a bit.

I never rubbed anything, but I think 10.5 wide tires with wide flares was a key factor in why this setup worked well for me.

===

No way will a 3" lift clear a 35" tires. No bueno.
it will with some sheet metal work which Is what I said In an earlier post.
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Better.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.