Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Riddler diff cover or Warn diff skid plate?

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  fduncan 
#1 ·
Please help me decide which one for the FRONT dana 44 axle on my 2006 rubicon. I've heard a lot about people having clearance issues with a lot of the aftermarket covers. You guys advice would be much appreciated!

#2 ·
I say Riddler. I believe they have one of the lowest profiles available for a aftermarket diff cover, I have one on my 8.8 w/ plenty of clearance of the gas tank oem skid. There's a thread on here somewhere that offers different cover depths.

Edit: Here it is;

Riddler: 2-7/8"

Solid: 2-7/8"

Rockcrusher: 3-1/4"

Ruff Stuff Specialties: 3-9/16"

#10 ·
I believe they have one of the lowest profiles available for a aftermarket diff cover
that may be true for 8.8... but for the D30 and D44, Riddler makes the biggest cover on the market. in fact, the stock mount on the frame actually hits the Riddler D44 cover at 1.75" bumpstops - with the track bar completely removed. it also hits all aftermarket track bars with less than 3" of bumpstop.

start reading...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-front-adjustable-track-bars-0-3-5-does-yours-hit-fit-738948/

I'm only running about an inch of lift and don't really intend on going any higher. At least not anytime real soon, so maybe the Warn skid would be the best on the front, then go with the Riddler on the rear.
when i was at stock height the D44 Riddler rubbed the gas tank at full compression. not bad...but enough to scratch paint off the cover & the Kilby skid (which has more clearance than the stock skid)

#11 ·
What about the SOLID or Rockcrusher covers on the rear? Maybe I should just go with the Warn skids on the front and back? I know I'll have to rinse the mud out of the Warn skids, that's why I was wanting a cover for the rear. The front will be pretty easy to rinse out but the rear has the gas tank in the way. But I don't want any rubbing issues.

#13 ·
i have a warn on the front and have beat the **** out of it and its held up great. it has big drain holes so when you get back from wheeling you can hose it out pretty easily. my only advice would be to get rid of the allen head bolts it comes with and use some slightly longer hex head bolts. i ground the bottom allen bolt down on rocks so bad that the hole where the allen key goes was ground in half. the skid is very nice though.

#16 ·
Yeah with only 1" of lift your not going to want to run any full aftermarket diff cover your track bar will hit it.

I've seen a few people with the Warn skid, never heard any complaints.

I run riddler diff covers front and rear and I like them a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.