Revival attempt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Revival attempt

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Revival attempt

So, my ARB air compressor has called it quits. For whatever reason, she quit working about a month ago, and I can't quite figure out why. I've checked all of the electrical lines, and the in-line fuse for shorts or burn-outs, and it all seems fine. As far as I'm aware, the compressor is a sealed unit, so I shouldn't have to worry about it being packed with mud, right?

The compressor sits where the A/C pump pulley would sit (directly above the idler pulley).

The only thing is that without the compressor, my ARB locker will not work (no air), and I can't air down my tires on the trail without having a fill-up station near by.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem, or do you think I should just buy a replacement and use the existing lines?

1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

how old is it? if its a year or 2 call ARB and ***** about it crapping out. it should have a warranty if its newer. if its old, stuff happens and get yourself a new one.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2564 View Post
As far as I'm aware, the compressor is a sealed unit, so I shouldn't have to worry about it being packed with mud, right?
Compressing gas produces a large amount of heat. If its packed with mud the heat can not escape. If its been packed with mud for a while it's probably burnt up.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And you verified that the power relay that controls the compressor is functioning correctly? And the switch that enables the compressor relay is working correctly?

There is more to the ARB compressor than the fuse and the wiring.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No, I haven't verified the power relay, but the switch is working properly. I just dug out the manual, which gives an exploded view of the air compressor. I'm going to check the power relay, and the intake valves, along with the air filter.

Thanks for your help guys.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.