Reverse light/rear turn signal wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Reverse light/rear turn signal wiring

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
csxfbird
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Reverse light/rear turn signal wiring

Hey guys, now that I'm on break from school, I've been spending some time fixing the wiring issues the Jeep has. The previous owner was an airman and was stationed in London for a time, so he had to rewire the running lights and signals to conform to the laws over there. They require all vehicles to have yellow or amber turn signals to the rear, so what he did was disconnect the reverse lights, and rewired the reverse lights to be turn signals...the rear running and brake lights work normally, but instead of the red light being the signal, the revere light is. Does anyone have a diagram for the rear lighting on the Jeep? I noticed a purple wire had been cut and spliced into on the driver rear of the Jeep, but it got dark before I could mess with it anymore. Thanks.

csxfbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The 2nd paragraph contains the wire colors you asked about.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/led1/led-2.htm
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
csxfbird
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thank you. Now it's a matter of figuring out how to "un-rig" the wiring job the previous owner did.
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Davejb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

In order for the rear amber turn signals to not come on when the brakes were applied, he had to have run a new wire from the turn signal switch to each rear light. Also the former turn rear signal wires were probably moved to the brake light switch, that's how I would have done it anyway. There should be only 3 wires running to the stock lights, for parking, brake/turn signal, and reverse.

[COLOR="Blue"][B]Vote Quimby[/B][/COLOR]
Davejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
csxfbird
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejb
In order for the rear amber turn signals to not come on when the brakes were applied, he had to have run a new wire from the turn signal switch to each rear light. Also the former turn rear signal wires were probably moved to the brake light switch, that's how I would have done it anyway. There should be only 3 wires running to the stock lights, for parking, brake/turn signal, and reverse.
Now that you mention it, I traced a couple of wires that were ran along the driver side floor of the Jeep, and I noticed they went up into the dash, so that's probably exactly what he did. One was a red wire (which he added) spliced into the purple/black wire (stock wire). So you think it's just a matter of removing the new wires he ran and reconnecting the stock wires?
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Davejb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it. The new turn signal wires he ran to the rear are probably connected to the front turn signal wires at the switch, you'll have to reconnect the factory rear wiring to the proper rear wires on the switch to get both turn and brake lights functioning properly again.

[COLOR="Blue"][B]Vote Quimby[/B][/COLOR]
Davejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The US wiring has the feed from the stop lamp switch feeding through the direction indicator switch. In our RHD models the feed to the stop lamps does not go to the indicator switch, it goes directly to the rear lamps. That should be the extra wires you have, if they've done it the simplest way, and the wires with the red stripe at the rear should have been moved to the indicator bulbs in the reverse lamp position. The white/tan wire running from your stop lamp switch must have been cut before it gets to the direction switch. Find that splice and reinstate the original wire.

The wires at the rear will need to be rearranged so that the extra wire is disconnected and the indicator feed connected back to the stop/turn bulb. The reverse bulb can then be connected back in place. It should be disconnected at the moment unless auxilliary reverse lamps have been fitted.

I got rid of my original UK rear lamp fittings and fitted US ones connected as described in the original post, and with reverse lamps fitted to the rear bumper. Had cops following me before as they couldn't see my orange bulbs and figured I must have illegal red indicators. Only saw the amber bulbs in the reverse light place when I pulled off the road.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
csxfbird
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well you guys were absolutely right. The previous owner cut both rear turn signal wires and fed them into the rear brake light wire, new wires were ran to the rear, and the reverse light wire was disconnected and spliced at the rear of the Jeep. I got the reverse lights working, but it got cold, so I'll finish it tomorrow, lol. I finished soldering and heat shrinking all the wires in back, now it's just a matter of fixing the wires underneath the column. Wouldn't be too bad if the previous owner hadn't cut them almost unusably short. Sigh...few things annoy me worse than fixing hacked wiring harnesses.
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
bigred13

I am actually trying to get the oposite result. I am trying to get my US Jeep to pass the MOT. I have completed everything but the rear turn signal. I am a little hesitant to start cutting wires until I get a little more info. I can really seem to find the brake wire in order to seperate the turn signal. Does anyone have a diagram?
bigred13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hi bigred.

See your other post in the JK section. I've linked to a diagram for you and found what should be the JK wire colours for you to make it easier.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 05-21-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.