Restore color to fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Restore color to fenders

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
LM01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Restore color to fenders

Like almost all jeep tj's, my fenders have faded to gray. I do not want to paint them and have used back to black a few times and it really doesn't hold the color well. A few of my friends are automotive students and can let me borrow their heat gun. I'm just wondering whether or not this will work. I don't want to deal with the hassle of taking on and off my fenders. Any ideas of whether or not the heat gun method will work? Thanks

LM01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM01TJ View Post
Any ideas of whether or not the heat gun method will work? Thanks
Yes, it will work...
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
CONNOR_99TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah the gun will do..
CONNOR_99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what I did to solve the problem.

Line-X

parcours is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
sene
2002 TJ Wrangler 

where did you get your flares line-x'ed? how much did they charge?
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
CONNOR_99TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

and the line-x won't fade.. correct?
CONNOR_99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sene View Post
where did you get your flares line-x'ed? how much did they charge?
Got them done at Line-X in Monrovia, (right off the 210 fwy and Myrtle, south) my buddy owns the shop. I don't know how much he would charge for customers. I can tell you he does an outstanding job.

He completely Line-X'd the entire fender, inside and out. I had a concern about the added thickness mounting it back on the jeep, but no problems, they fit as good as factory, right up against the body. with no gaps.

The best part is they won't scratch, they still pliable and won't fade. He applies a clear coat to keep them from turning dull.

I'm really considering having him Line-X the interior. No more carpet to deal with and easy to clean...
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
sene
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post
Got them done at Line-X in Monrovia, (right off the 210 fwy and Myrtle, south) my buddy owns the shop. I don't know how much he would charge for customers. I can tell you he does an outstanding job.

He completely Line-X'd the entire fender, inside and out. I had a concern about the added thickness mounting it back on the jeep, but no problems, they fit as good as factory, right up against the body. with no gaps.

The best part is they won't scratch, they still pliable and won't fade. He applies a clear coat to keep them from turning dull.

I'm really considering having him Line-X the interior. No more carpet to deal with and easy to clean...
It looks really good! My flares are scorched from the socal sun, and all marked up from the socal bad drivers.

Would you mind asking your buddy how much he would charge to to do my flares, I don't mind making the drive if its a good prices
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sene View Post
It looks really good! My flares are scorched from the socal sun, and all marked up from the socal bad drivers.

Would you mind asking your buddy how much he would charge to to do my flares, I don't mind making the drive if its a good prices
You got it.
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
mikeymoto
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The heat gun works but you will likely get splotches. At least they're dark splotches.
mikeymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
LM01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I'll have them done tomorrow and see what the difference is.
LM01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
rainglur
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Or you could pick up a Krylon Fusion rattle can for $5. If your worry about painting is simply the PITA removal process... then don't remove them. Stick some index cards between the body and the fender, tape up some newspaper for the rest of the overspray, and you're done. It's good stuff. I have it on my fenders and have heard nothing but good things from other people who've done the same thing.
rainglur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainglur View Post
Or you could pick up a Krylon Fusion rattle can for $5. If your worry about painting is simply the PITA removal process... then don't remove them. Stick some index cards between the body and the fender, tape up some newspaper for the rest of the overspray, and you're done. It's good stuff. I have it on my fenders and have heard nothing but good things from other people who've done the same thing.
x2

I actually took mine off. Turned out beautifully. I used 2 cans of the Satin. Make sure if you do it that way you prep well, and if you feel like sanding them up a bit to use a fine grit. Mine now have a bit of additional texture they didn't have before
WeezyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
lil-jmart13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i did mine with 2 cans of rustolium bed liner, 8.99 x2 and i painted them while on the jeep in 1 hour and 53 mins (the gf counted lol) then let em dry over night, best investment under 20$

MEAN GREEN
1997 JEEP TJ SAHARA - project mean green!

WTB: TJ HALF DOORS OR TUBE DOORS!!! PM ME!!

NIGHTCREW
-#35-
lil-jmart13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea gonna get my Rear 4'' Xenon Flares Rhinolined when they come in. Gonna match my front tube fenders.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restore , restoring , fenders , color , heat gun , paint , wrangler , faded

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.