Replacing sway bar link and bushing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing sway bar link and bushing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
nekeno12

Replacing sway bar link and bushing

Hey there,

The bushing for my sway bar link has been crushed, probably from 4wheelin, but I need to replace it. I found a new link and bushing from JCWhitney and I want to replace it myself.

Has anyone done this type of work before? Is there anything I should be aware of when replacing this part. It looks like all I'll need is a 5/8 torque wrench and to take the tire off. Is there anything I'm missing though?

Thanks!

nekeno12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
nekeno12

For example, if I take off the sway bar link, is something going to come crashing down because I haven't supported it?
Unread 09-13-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
Stormtrooper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, nothings going to fall on you. You shouldn't have to take the tire off, but i might make the job easier. You'll need a torx bit (cant remember size but its a big one) and a standard socket set to get it off. Once you've removed the lower bolts the entire sway bar will freely rotate down. This will make the upper nuts more accessable. Once you've taken them off the links should come off. But they didn't for me. I had to whack on the end of the threaded stud (i kept the nut threaded on a few turns to protect the threads) to get it to separate. Never messed with the bushings themselves, so you'll have to figure that one out on your own. All I did was remove them.

Steve
Unread 09-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #4
nekeno12

I'm sure the link comes with the bushing installed. Thanks for the help!
Unread 09-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
anthrUTtj

The upper end of the sway bar links are press fits. Easiest way to get them out is remove the swaybar, lay it on the ground supported by a piece of wood. One good whack should do it.

You can find surplus JKS quick discos all over the for sale boards. I'd put those on instead.
anthrUTtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is a good chance that the links(s) will break again. If you are going to be doing any offroading I'd seriously consider upgrading. Tera or JKS both make good disco's.

Oh, and you'll need a T55 for the link.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
wayoflife

Click Here to See My JKS Installation Write-Up

has everything you need
wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2004, 09:18 AM   #8
brgmgb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my swaybar link back in June. I purchased the replacement link at my local NAPA store.

The bottom bolt is a T-55 torx and the nut is 18 mm. I needed a deep socket. The nut was torqued down pretty tight. (Haynes manual says 70 ft/lbs). It would have been easier to remove the tire, but I worked around the bumper.

On mine, the ball had separated from the rest of the link, so that was it for removing the link. I tried pounding the ball out, but only messed up the nut and threads. I finally resorted to a ball joint puller, which popped the ball out in about 30 seconds.

Installation was very easy because I had removed the tire to pop the ball. I followed the Haynes manual specs - 40 ft/lbs on ball and 70 on bottom.

There was a thread on making homemade quick disconnects using a 7/16 pin. I am still curious why the manual says to torque the bottom when the disconnects are relatively loose.

Hope this helps.
'08 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD
O|||||||O
brgmgb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Ron Burgundy
Team CANON

2009 JK Wrangler 

03 rubicon. my cousins.
stock sway bar links.
i heard a snap, got out, inspected it. when someone steps on the front bumper, I can see the one sway bar link move down - OUT of the sway bar. so it's either broken at the top. or the nut, up at the top bushing, gave. I never go off roading strange.

anyhow, can I just use someone's factory sway bar link, and replace it? someone who upgraded to a taller suspension. does it have to be a rubicon - are the rubi links longer?

and will it be overly difficult to remove? or just common tools.

MYGIG Database Thread

I appreciate all of the info & good people on this site.
JK Sahara 2dr
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Ron Burgundy
Team CANON

2009 JK Wrangler 

rubi swaybar links, same as regular tj?

MYGIG Database Thread

I appreciate all of the info & good people on this site.
JK Sahara 2dr
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
CJmadison
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info!! I was driving home today and the balls let go from the link... I had them out and installed in under 15 minutes. The ball joint puller was key. I just rotated the sway bar down and they popped free with a little motivation from the puller.
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A pickle fork is helpful to remove the top of the sway bar link. Helpful, but not necessary. A hammer works good also.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have MOOGS on my jeep. While they arent quick discos and i need to carry a tool kit to get them off, they are garentted never to break even after im in a box and somebody else owns my jeep. The best bang for your buck as far as im concerned. Any advance auto store should have it in stock.
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
jeepgunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
I'm Limited
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Note to others: The Factory Screw does not always match the NEw Links. Save yourself one Trip and make sure you get NEW Nuts for the Links Prior to starting.

Also Upgraded the Bushings !!!!....yeh, GO ME !

not so bad....4 hours...only b/c I got the old bolt stuck on a new link...before I realized I needed a new bolt for the Link and had to pull it all off again...GRRR...Otherwise...it would have been less than 2.5 hours.

:kicking self: I know better, I know better....NOW...I Know Better !
Unread 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Luck881
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Need to bump;
I just replaced my factory links, but the top stud keeps rotating in the socket so I can't torque it. What is the best method to hold the stud still without damaging the boot around the joint? I'm sure it's simple but I can't see the answer. Thanks,

'05 TJ SE, 2.4L, 6 Spd, 2(+)" Procomp Lift, 33" GY Duratracs
'09 Ram QC SLT
Luck881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.