Replacing steering gear box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing steering gear box

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing steering gear box

Does anyone know of a good write up or video of how to replace the steering gear box on a 99 Wrangler? I have the Haynes manual which is pretty straight forward. I'm leaking fluid pretty badly but I'm not entirely sure where it's coming from. I have a new box and was going to just put that on but now I'm wondering if it's not something more simple. Where do these things start to leak? I was going to power wash the area to see if I can get a better idea where it's leaking from. Could it be the pump instead of the box? I get a puddle and have to refill at least once every 2 weeks.

BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

deffinatly check that its the box first not the pump, the box normally starts leaking around the seal where the pitman arm is. and it is very simple to change, the 3 bolts on the side and the nuts where the steering shaft goes in and she'll pull right off. make sure your steering wheels locked so it doesnt overspin and break the clockspring.
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

It ain't that damn simple. LOL! I tried replacing the box once before and couldn't even get that nut off. I was going to try with a cheater bar but haven't gotten around to it. I tried with a 100 pound compressor and that didn't work.
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my steering box. NEVER AGAIN. yes it saved money doing it myself. But getting the pitman arm off, then back on is the biggest PITA. We tried using a pitman arm puller and it helped a little but we ended up using a 24in Pipe wrench with both me and my father bracing our feet against the wheels and pulling with everything we got. Then you have to deal with the fluid lines and the steering column etc. This is also not something that you can say "well thats good enough" It's your steering. That was not worth it. If I need it again I am bringing it to a shop.
Hinch45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Eck, was that a good idea pushing against the wheel like that? I thought you had to be careful about turning your wheels.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I submitted an article for the Tech forum http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/:// but I see it still hasn't been posted yet (moderator must be busy wheelin' )

Anyway, removing the box is easy enough. Mine was a later Mercedes (ZF) box as yours is a Saginaw but they should come out the same way.

-To eliminate alignment headaches: lock your steering wheel (remove the key), and try not to move your front wheels. I recommend using ramps, as opposed to using jack stands, so the steering shaft goes back on exactly the same way it came off.

-Pull the cotter pin and unbolt the drag link Tie Rod End (TRE). Use a "TRE puller" or "pickle fork" and pop the TRE out.

-If you have to remove the Pitman Arm from your steering box (to put it on your new box) now's the time get it off. Beg, Borrow, Steal a pitman arm puller! These can be tough to pull off. Even with the puller, it may take several applications of heat (torch), penetrant, BFH, and sweat. If your new box has a pitman arm you just bypassed the biggest PITA of the process.

-loosen the steering shaft coupler (collar) on the steering shaft.

-Unbolt the bottom two (rearmost) steering box mount bolts from the frame rail. Loosen the upper (forward) bolt, so now the box is loose. I find it easiest to pivot the box down a little to access the power steering line fittings and slide the steering shaft coupler off.

-Have a drain pan ready, pull your power steering hoses off. Remove the steering shaft coupler bolt, and slide the coupler off the box input shaft (mine needed coaxing with a pickle fork).

-Remove your remaining box mount bolt from the frame rail, and be ready to catch it.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
skinton
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The 3 bolts that hold the box on were the easy part. I replace the pitman arm too and didn't bother taking it off the steering box when I returned the old steering box to the store. I bend two pitman arm pullers trying to get it off and gave up. Also, the hydraulic line that go between the pump and the gearbox were seized. I replaced both of those as well.

It might be worth your while to plan on replacing all of the above parts and save some headaches.

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L HEMI)
HEMI Club Member #53

2003 M-B C240 4matic
skinton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Rjnol

Jeep TJ Web Site of Stu Olson - N7QJP

thats what i used to replace my stock steering gear box, it took me 1.5 hrs to do and im just a shade tree mechanic.

I had to put some heat on the pitman arm to get it loose but other then that it wasnt difficult at all. I would suggest having someone help you as it makes getting the box back on easier.
Rjnol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Theres an idea. If having a shop do all the work is to expensive. Then see what it would cost to buy a new pitman arm and have a shop put it on the steering box before you install it. Then install the steering box yourself. Might save a few bucks.
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I can't even get to the arm.... I'm still stuck trying to get the damn first nut off. I haven't tried lately though. I'm still trying to find out where I'm leaking.
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ive done 3 this past year for freinds and myself and the only problem is the pitman arm and if you can get your hands on a press you can do the swap in under an hour. btw on my personal swap i used an xj box and used the pitman arm that was on there. yes, it is longer and there is no need for that without alot of lift, but i havent had any problems at all even under full flex.
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the pulled but like I said, havne't gotten to that part yet. I need to get that god awful nut off first.
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I pb blastered it for 2 weeks, went through 2 cans and it was still a tough nut. Like I said HUGE Pipe wrench.
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Having the correct tools for the job is priceless.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've been able to get the nut off easily with the correct socket, a breaker bar, and a 4' pipe over the breaker bar. Use these tools with the Jeep sitting with its wheels on the ground and have at it. I've done several and this always works. I've always had more trouble getting the pitman arm off even with the proper puller. I even broke a puller once. Tightening the puller with an impact and then wacking the arm with a hammer seems to be the fastest method.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
replacement , steering , box , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.