Replacing Oil pan gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Oil pan gasket

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
deemswj92
2000 WJ 

Replacing Oil pan gasket

got a 05 tj need to replace pan gasket any suggestions on easiest way to get it off, exhaust is in the way

deemswj92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unbolt exhaust from header and cat.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As stated above, remove the 4 bolts at the exhaust flange, just before the cats. PB Blaster works wonders to loosen up the grip as well.

I assume you are replacing your oil pan gasket due to oil leaks? If so, confirm that it is actually the pan that is leaking and not the rear main seal.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

^^x2
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Errr, what if your exhaust is welded all the way?
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Michael_K

I have written up rear main seal replacement guide and in the process, I also have done the oil pan gasket replacement.

http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811

HTH,

Michael K.
Unread 04-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Michael, thanks for that, very helpful. I did this today, along with a manifold gasket replacement.

My exhaust is fully welded, so I had to unbolt both rear hangers and ram the whole thing forward to get it off the catalytic converter mount in order to get it far enough out of the way to get the oil pan off. I may or may not have a hernia, but I definitely have about half a cup of dirt up my nose.

Jeez, that was a pain in the ***. Next time I'll pull the engine.

Couple of tips:

Powerwash the underside of the Jeep before you do this; you will be getting up close and personal with it.
The bolts on the oil pan are mostly 7/16" with 4 1/2" ones. You'll need deep well sockets.
Safety glasses are a MUST for this job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.