Replacing inner axle seals on Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing inner axle seals on Rubicon

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing inner axle seals on Rubicon

I had my gears done last year but they did not want to change the seal, if they are good don't fix em. Well now the right front seal is leaking and this guy wants to charge me to fix what he probably broke in the first place, for those of you that dont know it, they make a stupid little plastic ring that costs $1.50, it goes around the axle at the spline end to help keep the axle centered in the tube so you don't rip the seal, like this guy did. So I have new axle seals and the guides and I'm going to do this myself, is there anything I need to be looking out for when removing the locker, will I need a case spreader or just pop it out with a prybar? Any advice is appreciated.
Mike

Unread 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Jimi79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Im having this problem how did you make out with changing the seals?
2006 Tj Rubicon on 35s
Jimi79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stu Olson's awesome website has all kinds of information on how to work on our Jeeps with specific instructions on the D30's inner seals at http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30seals/seal-1.htm.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Jimi79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I read that write up thanks thought Jerry, mines a dana 44 with a locker, is there much different. I just posted about it being overfull with watery oil hoping maybe that has something to do with it but i'm sure ill have to change the seals
2006 Tj Rubicon on 35s
Jimi79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
deafdog
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I used Stu's article as a guide when I did mine last winter. That was my first axle seal replacement, so just I followed the steps and had no problem.

I can't say I am all too fond of gear oil smell.
deafdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
SolarOne
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi79 View Post
Im having this problem how did you make out with changing the seals?
Has anyone been inside to potentially rip the seal?

I ask because, the OE seal began to leak on my left front axle around 30k. I drained the factory fill and replaced with 75w140 (same as the rear on my Rubicon). The issue went away, has me thinking there isn't much of a seal conditioner in the OE fill (fluid looked fresh only 30k on it). I replaced with M1 synthetic LT, not really worth the $ (Redline is cheaper). M1 is found everywhere so I'm paying for accessibility / fluid compatibility.
.(o))--(o))_(o))--(o))
SolarOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , seal , inner , d44 , dana 44 , replace , replacing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.