Replacing front exhaust/cats? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 10-08-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Replacing front exhaust/cats?

Getting ready to replace the front pipes. Probably go with Magnaflow but was wondering if anyone has used Fischer?

http://www.carparts.com/details/Jeep...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Mike1080p
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longcj View Post
Getting ready to replace the front pipes. Probably go with Magnaflow but was wondering if anyone has used Fischer
Before you buy cats make sure your Jeep isn?t Cali compliant I had this issue if you put Fed compliant instead of Cali you will get engine light and your Jeep will run like crap !
post #3 of 39 Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Mike1080p
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Walker 81861 CalCat OBDII Catalytic Converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K9Z075O..._n8J2zbAK08Q08

This is what I bought and they work great!
The reason they are so expensive is the extra emission ?filtering? material I?m guessing extra precious metals forgot the type honestly... I also looked at the high flow magnaflow cats but it was almost 1k and I just couldn?t justify 1k for a cat assembly that could be made way cheaper and have better performance!

post #4 of 39 Old 10-08-2017, 09:18 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1080p View Post
Before you buy cats make sure your Jeep isn?t Cali compliant I had this issue if you put Fed compliant instead of Cali you will get engine light and your Jeep will run like crap !
That is not the experience that all have. Possible you had other things going on.

IMO the bigger issue with these aftermarket units is fit. The QC on some of them can be very poor. Depending on your build and how tight things are you end up spending more money at the local exhaust shop "fixing" the fit than you save.
post #5 of 39 Old 10-08-2017, 09:44 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
That is not the experience that all have. Possible you had other things going on.

IMO the bigger issue with these aftermarket units is fit. The QC on some of them can be very poor. Depending on your build and how tight things are you end up spending more money at the local exhaust shop "fixing" the fit than you save.
That and I'm not a fan of that style of flat exhaust flange. I much prefer the formed ones on the OEM exhaust. They don't deflect or bend when they get hot and the cone shape around the tube supports it better.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #6 of 39 Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What's gone wrong with your converters? Any codes?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 39 Old 10-09-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No major issues. I do occasionally get p0431.
I think it's already been modified by the PO, and it's dented from being hit by the front driveshaft u-joint (also PO).

Mrblaine, so you don't like either one of these flanges?

https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-47-...B02NGY68VKF6M7

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-493...1KDSCFTW0YQEBC
post #8 of 39 Old 10-09-2017, 08:17 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No major issues. I do occasionally get p0431.
I think it's already been modified by the PO, and it's dented from being hit by the front driveshaft u-joint (also PO).

Mrblaine, so you don't like either one of these flanges?

https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-47-...B02NGY68VKF6M7

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-493...1KDSCFTW0YQEBC
If the 3D rendering of the last one is accurate then that is a better design.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #9 of 39 Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It appears the OEM part is still available for about the same money. Would that be the way to go?
post #10 of 39 Old 10-10-2017, 02:00 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The Magnaflow is what I would recommend. The converters are free-flowing, all the tubing is mandrel bent, and the merges are very smooth and that increases flow. The flanges are also the formed type.

Did you want the setup with the main converter or just the two front converters?

Do you have California emissions?

You can PM me or email me at kolak@aol.com for pricing - I have excellent pricing for Magnaflow products. If you're not sure of your emissions setup, include your VIN and I'll check it out for you.

or
post #11 of 39 Old 10-10-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My build sheet says NAS 50 State Emissions. Does that make it a California jeep or would it say something else?
post #12 of 39 Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 AM
Kolak
Vendor

That would not be CA emissions. The build sheets say CA emissions if so.

If you decide you'd like a Magnaflow replacement converter assembly, please PM me here on the forum or email me at kolak@aol.com - I've got excellent pricing

Quote:
My build sheet says NAS 50 State Emissions. Does that make it a California jeep or would it say something else?

or
post #13 of 39 Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 PM
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The Magnaflow is what I would recommend. The converters are free-flowing, all the tubing is mandrel bent, and the merges are very smooth and that increases flow. The flanges are also the formed type.

Did you want the setup with the main converter or just the two front converters?

Do you have California emissions?

You can PM me or email me at kolak@aol.com for pricing - I have excellent pricing for Magnaflow products. If you're not sure of your emissions setup, include your VIN and I'll check it out for you.
I have the Magnaflow mini cat setup. It is very well made and was a direct fit. No issues with codes. I highly recommend to replace all your o2 sensors with new, OEM ones.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #14 of 39 Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Magnaflow down pipe. I agree its well made, but its given me clearance issues with my passenger upper control arm. The magnaflow is a larger diameter, and doesn't fit as tightly around the oil pan as the oem pipe did. I remember it being a slight contact at stock as it got close to full droop. Its definitely more exaggerated now with my 3" lift.
post #15 of 39 Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Mike1080p
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1080p View Post

Don?t believe I had any other problems as soon as I put a new cali-compliant cat after trying a federal compliant model my series of random misfires from 02 sensor adjustments making it run extremely lean to meet the allowable emissions range as well as getting 7-8 MPG with 33s and 4.56 gears it all went away immediately. MPG went back to 15 and the 8-10 codes I had went away no issues since then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.