Replacing Door hinge pin, not whole hinge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Door hinge pin, not whole hinge

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing Door hinge pin, not whole hinge

Is there a way to replace just the hinge pins on the full steel doors? I noticed that the lower hinge on my passenger door is missing the nut and threads that stick out the bottom of the hinge. I removed the top nut to see if I could get it out, but since I don't have access to my tools right now, couldn't press it out.
If not, I'll have to drop the money on new hinges, since I won't go doorless where I live.

Unread 09-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bump to the top. I guess I'm going to have to buy new hinges
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
89XJClay
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Im sure its possible, by either driving out the pin or drill it out, then installing a new pin, welding it in if necessary.

My question is why? and for two reasons.

1) If one pin still has the nut on it, then no problem there.

2) I drive around with no nuts on the pins at all. Once you shut/lock your door, the door isnt going anywhere, at least not super easily.
89XJClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know the door isn't going to go anywhere by itself. It just seems like someone tried to take it off and it broke recently. The dealership had someone come in a month ago missing both doors on their jeep. Someone popped the lock and lifted them off. I just want to make sure their secure. With the area I live in, I wouldn't put it past them to try.
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The pins themselves aren't sold separately. I would just install a hinge pin lock on the top hinge only (since the bottom hinge pin is partially missing) like Quadratec sells if you're worried about door theft.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
mecheng10
Vendor

You may find that the bushings in the body half of the hinge are worn when you replace the pin. They can be replaced with new custom bushings. Magnitude | Products

-Brian
mecheng10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How about drilling and tapping a hole into the bottom of the existing pin (should be plenty of meat there) and then put a allen headed cap screw or a dreaded torx screw up from the bottom.

Take the door off and turn it over, file the bottom of the pin flat, center punch, drill press or hand drill. dosen't have to be prefect.
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine have been broke for years. Like jerry said, You want the pin you have to buy the whole set-up. I looked into it years ago. Never did anything about it as mentioned, When its shut its as hard as its going to get. If they want it they will get the doors anyway. There is away around a locking device before the lock itself hits the market. Good luck
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng10 View Post
You may find that the bushings in the body half of the hinge are worn when you replace the pin. They can be replaced with new custom bushings. Magnitude | Products

-Brian
those are pretty expensive for what they are
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
HarryTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought new hinge pins from Napa didn't come with bushings now just need to know if the old pins on my full doors just bang out or are the one piece with the hinge?
HarryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.