Replacing the Clutch on '02 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing the Clutch on '02 TJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
daneodonnell

Replacing the Clutch on '02 TJ

I drive (not currently obviously) an '02 TJ Sport 4.0 L 6 cylinder. The throw out bearing, among the master and slave cylinders, broke. Therefore, since my brother, who has experience working on cars and changing clutches, and I, who am somewhat car illiterate, am removing and replacing the clutch along with the throw out bearing. Which brand and/or type of clutch should I replace it with? I'm looking for a mix of value and performance, but more towards value as I don't have all that big of a budget to spend on it. Which brand clutches have you put in your wranglers? How have they worked?
Also, are there any good instructional websites and/or videos that would help me with this process?
Thanks for the advice,
-Dane

daneodonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Dave02TJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Luk or Sach check Rockauto for prices.

There used to be concern over plastic being used on the Luk throwout bearing, I don't know where everyone stands on this now?
I recently saw a post from a trusted source that said it was a non issue, could use feedback please.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I only use LuK clutches in my shop. I've had no issues with throwout bearings in multiple kit installs.

I also use the complete pre-bled master/slave kits, usually the Dorman ones.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
goducks3620
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a plastic throwout snap after only 15k miles on the clutch. Replaced with a Valeo kit, good so far.

Sent from my Moto X using JeepForum
goducks3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

do not have the flywheel surfaced!
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
do not have the flywheel surfaced!
agreed. If you have a lot of miles on the jeep pay the extra 100 or so for a new flywheel. Good time to change your rear main seal on the engine too. Easy to do.
The clutch job actually is a piece of cake and you should help with the job. Nothing more priceless than learning something about your vehicle. It's one of the things I enjoy with being a jeeper. Building, wheeling, breaking, fixing, wheeling.

Also when your done do yourself a favor and get some quality trans oil. Your shift will be much smoother.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
daneodonnell

Awesome advice guys thanks.
daneodonnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.