Replacing caliper, I think I effed up bad.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

^^^^ he got ya there ...

The threads are NOT in the caliper...they are in the knuckle.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The stripped hole is in the knuckle, not the caliper.
A new caliper won't fix anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
How does a new caliper solve the OP's issue, maybe go ask you friend at the Jeep plant...

Thanks Dodger for sharing your infinite knowledge with us.

post #19 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Quote:
How does a new caliper solve the OP's issue, maybe go ask you friend at the Jeep plant...

Thanks Dodger for sharing your infinite knowledge with us.
Im glad I didn't stop reading after he said new caliper, then I wouldn't have known what sound advice he was giving, especially that C clamp portion
post #20 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im glad I didn't stop reading after he said new caliper, then I wouldn't have known what sound advice he was giving, especially that C clamp portion
If it were directed toward anyone else and I saw it, I'd say he would have been close to a vacation with that last post, but I have a thick skin and generally wait till it gets really ugly if directed toward me before I do anything about it.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Quote:
If it were directed toward anyone else and I saw it, I'd say he would have been close to a vacation with that last post, but I have a thick skin and generally wait till it gets really ugly if directed toward me before I do anything about it.
Thick skin is a must on here and this forum isn't even that bad. Maybe we'll get lucky and wranglerforum will get a new member...
Dodger60 likes this.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
No TJ calipers use SAE bolts to hold them to the knuckle. They are all metric 8mm which is very nearly the same size as 5/16. I'll verify this morning but I don't believe the hole in the guide sleeve has that much slop.
I meant to add that VICE VERSA deal on the bolt.. If its one then switch to another.. And yes there is more than enough slop in the caliper pin hole.. As I had plenty of mix and match bolts in those calipers... Right or wrong, it will get you home... Long as the pin allows the caliper to slide it would be fine.. As for the measuring contest going on, I went to have it enlarged and doc said any more and it be a foot...........:g rin2:
Dodger60 likes this.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 03:53 PM
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How do you know when someone is an engineer? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
Dodger60 likes this.

FullStack MotorSports
post #24 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 03:57 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger60 View Post
I'm the blind one eh?
LOL...old doesn't always mean obsolete..nor am I closed minded..
I am not steering anyone to anything except a quick acceptable temporary fix to get the OP to work safely.
I myself would use a new caliper if I had stripped this..have I ever been so unlucky or inept as to have done this? No.. apparently you have and I have never suggested that your solution was not the best method.. simply that it was not the only method and it was by far the slowest method so do us all a favor and find a C-section use it to clamp your lips together and then listen with both ears to everything said..
The OP had limited time to effect this repair..he can't wait for that suggested repair kit.. and I personally would choose a helicoil over Loctite.. that is all I have said..
You on the other hand keep berating my knowledge of mechanical engineering without knowing how I make my living.. I am a mechanical designer and work directly with mechanical and structural engineers. A personal friend of mine is an engineer at the Jeep plant in Toledo.. I have been doing repairs for decades and like I said old methods may work when needed. Several designs and projects I have been involved with used helicoils in through holes (thru holes actually) and were certified structurally sound. The issue with helicoils in thru holes as I understand it is for holes frequently used to unbolt and rebolt this is not the case.
Without looking at this specific caliper I cannot be certain as I have worked on too many, but on this one I suspect the hole is a thru hole but only partially threaded meaning the thread itself does have a shoulder that works as a 'bottom' of sorts.. again I am not looking at the caliper so I am not certain but that is a common configuration.
Please do NOT denigrate a poster for offering sound advice based solely on your personal opinion or experience as your personal understanding may be smaller than you believe!
If that sounded condescending...well that was my intent. Have a good day...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Before you get too wound up, it helps to know what we're dealing with. The bolt never actually touches the caliper. It goes through a guide sleeve that uses the dust boot as a bushing and the sleeve floats back and forth in a hole in each end of the caliper. The threaded hole is actually in the steering knuckle and most folks strip it due to inadvertently believing that the bolts see braking forces and they don't. They are simply there to keep the caliper in place while the pad ends and cast sliders on the steering knuckle take all of the braking forces.

You are thinking of the GM style mounting that has a pin with threads just under the Allen Head and that screws into part of the caliper. The two methods have very little in common except they are both used on calipers.
Dodger60 likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 04:44 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
I meant to add that VICE VERSA deal on the bolt.. If its one then switch to another.. And yes there is more than enough slop in the caliper pin hole.. As I had plenty of mix and match bolts in those calipers... Right or wrong, it will get you home... Long as the pin allows the caliper to slide it would be fine.. As for the measuring contest going on, I went to have it enlarged and doc said any more and it be a foot...........:g rin2:
The hole in the guide sleeve is 21/64ths. That is just 1/64" bigger than 5/16's so I don't know what bolt you're going to mix and match in there without some drilling. I'm using 5/16" since it practically interchanges size wise with the correct 8mm bolt.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Dodger60
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Point made.. frustrates me when someone keeps poking at detail I was not making... Moderator or not it would be good to read more carefully..thick skin? I generally have it but lost it there..my apologies...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.