Replacing caliper, I think I effed up bad.... - JeepForum.com

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
DPayne1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Replacing caliper, I think I effed up bad....

Okay, so I put the new caliper on and the bottom bolt will screw in, but it won't tighten. I'm pretty sure the place where the bolt screws in is partially stripped. The bolts themselves are fine. I have no idea what to do. I'm grabbing a tap and die set quick and I'm going to see if I can run that through and maybe that will help, but if not, what else can I possibly do? I'm 5 hours from home (at my parents place) and I need to get back by tomorrow at noon. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 06:13 PM
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, I did that too. For a very temp fix, I used red loc tite. My slightly less temp fix has been a heli-coil...I can check the size when I get home. I've been driving this way for over a year. Eventually, I'll replace the steering knuckle.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 06:23 PM
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No need for a new knuckle. Here's a repair kit:

http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com...ir-Kit_c39.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 06:26 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPayne1 View Post
Okay, so I put the new caliper on and the bottom bolt will screw in, but it won't tighten. I'm pretty sure the place where the bolt screws in is partially stripped. The bolts themselves are fine. I have no idea what to do. I'm grabbing a tap and die set quick and I'm going to see if I can run that through and maybe that will help, but if not, what else can I possibly do? I'm 5 hours from home (at my parents place) and I need to get back by tomorrow at noon. Please help!
Loctite makes a fair thread restoring compound that would work as a temporary fix until you can get a solid insert threaded in. If you are after a Heli-coil type solution which won't be ideal in a through hole, the size is Metric 8mm x 1.25.

FYI, if it won't tighten, it isn't partially stripped, it's all the way stripped.

Also, one of the most common areas to fail due to overtightening.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Dodger60
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Heli coil is the quickest safe fix..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger60 View Post
Heli coil is the quickest safe fix..

See comments above about helicoils in through holes. OP, follow the link provided.

Romney in 2020!
post #7 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Dodger60
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
See comments above about helicoils in through holes. OP, follow the link provided.
I get that the kit is a better solution and that helicoil isn't ideal or best practice..but he ain't gonna have that kit to be at work by Noon tomorrow! He can get a helicoil kit at the nearest autoparts store..and it would be far safer than a Loctite fix..which is probably as safe as using a micro-spare ..for short term usage below posted speeds, your mileage may vary...
Nuff said..

TJnBC likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
and it would be far safer than a Loctite fix..
Maybe. Maybe not. Depends how helicoil sets in the through hole. Red loctite is pretty strong stuff. From the internet impossible to say that one is better than the other.

Romney in 2020!
post #9 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Dodger60
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. Depends how helicoil sets in the through hole. Red loctite is pretty strong stuff. From the internet impossible to say that one is better than the other.
Ok not really sure why the through hole is an issue to you.. helicoil kits to replace spark plug threads have been around for longer than you have..used my first in 1977... If a spark plug hole ain't a through hole I don't know what is...
I personally will take a helicoil over Loctite any day what you want to trust is up to you...

post #10 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok not really sure why the through hole is an issue to you.. helicoil kits to replace spark plug threads have been around for longer than you have..used my first in 1977... If a spark plug hole ain't a through hole I don't know what is...
I personally will take a helicoil over Loctite any day what you want to trust is up to you...

If you don't understand the difference that is not my issue. Knowledge and approaches to issues advance. I think if you look at spark plug repair kits today, the better ones are different types of inserts. If you want to stay in the 70s that's your choice. I'm really not expressing an opinion as to which will work better. Have you ever stripped a caliper mounting hole? IMO sight unseen blanket statements like you made aren't possible. You can do what you want, but don't blindly steer others that direction.

Romney in 2020!
post #11 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Jeepsr4me

I have found that if the bolt is a standard switch to a metric size that is slightly larger.... Plenty of room in the caliper pin for slightly larger diameter bolt.
Then cut some new threads in the mount and call it done. Found this out a while back as a few jeeps I worked on had different bolts in the calipers.

I was just swapping brakes pads and everything looked fine... No glue or spiral thread maker or anything special... Just a bigger bolt..
post #12 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
I have found that if the bolt is a standard switch to a metric size that is slightly larger.... Plenty of room in the caliper pin for slightly larger diameter bolt.
Then cut some new threads in the mount and call it done. Found this out a while back as a few jeeps I worked on had different bolts in the calipers.

I was just swapping brakes pads and everything looked fine... No glue or spiral thread maker or anything special... Just a bigger bolt..
No TJ calipers use SAE bolts to hold them to the knuckle. They are all metric 8mm which is very nearly the same size as 5/16. I'll verify this morning but I don't believe the hole in the guide sleeve has that much slop.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post

Like others have said , Helicoil if you are in a RUSH OR an oversize bolt to get ya home.

Otherwise grab that fancy kit from Blaine. It looks decent, and pretty simple to use.

I have used the Helicoil method in a pinch when camping in a isolated area for the weekend. That's all I had. Worked great.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #14 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Dodger60
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm the blind one eh?
LOL...old doesn't always mean obsolete..nor am I closed minded..
I am not steering anyone to anything except a quick acceptable temporary fix to get the OP to work safely.
I myself would use a new caliper if I had stripped this..have I ever been so unlucky or inept as to have done this? No.. apparently you have and I have never suggested that your solution was not the best method.. simply that it was not the only method and it was by far the slowest method so do us all a favor and find a C-section use it to clamp your lips together and then listen with both ears to everything said..
The OP had limited time to effect this repair..he can't wait for that suggested repair kit.. and I personally would choose a helicoil over Loctite.. that is all I have said..
You on the other hand keep berating my knowledge of mechanical engineering without knowing how I make my living.. I am a mechanical designer and work directly with mechanical and structural engineers. A personal friend of mine is an engineer at the Jeep plant in Toledo.. I have been doing repairs for decades and like I said old methods may work when needed. Several designs and projects I have been involved with used helicoils in through holes (thru holes actually) and were certified structurally sound. The issue with helicoils in thru holes as I understand it is for holes frequently used to unbolt and rebolt this is not the case.
Without looking at this specific caliper I cannot be certain as I have worked on too many, but on this one I suspect the hole is a thru hole but only partially threaded meaning the thread itself does have a shoulder that works as a 'bottom' of sorts.. again I am not looking at the caliper so I am not certain but that is a common configuration.
Please do NOT denigrate a poster for offering sound advice based solely on your personal opinion or experience as your personal understanding may be smaller than you believe!
If that sounded condescending...well that was my intent. Have a good day...

post #15 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I'm the blind one eh?
LOL...old doesn't always mean obsolete..nor am I closed minded..
I am not steering anyone to anything except a quick acceptable temporary fix to get the OP to work safely.
I myself would use a new caliper if I had stripped this..have I ever been so unlucky or inept as to have done this? No.. apparently you have and I have never suggested that your solution was not the best method.. simply that it was not the only method and it was by far the slowest method so do us all a favor and find a C-section use it to clamp your lips together and then listen with both ears to everything said..
The OP had limited time to effect this repair..he can't wait for that suggested repair kit.. and I personally would choose a helicoil over Loctite.. that is all I have said..
You on the other hand keep berating my knowledge of mechanical engineering without knowing how I make my living.. I am a mechanical designer and work directly with mechanical and structural engineers. A personal friend of mine is an engineer at the Jeep plant in Toledo.. I have been doing repairs for decades and like I said old methods may work when needed. Several designs and projects I have been involved with used helicoils in through holes (thru holes actually) and were certified structurally sound. The issue with helicoils in thru holes as I understand it is for holes frequently used to unbolt and rebolt this is not the case.
Without looking at this specific caliper I cannot be certain as I have worked on too many, but on this one I suspect the hole is a thru hole but only partially threaded meaning the thread itself does have a shoulder that works as a 'bottom' of sorts.. again I am not looking at the caliper so I am not certain but that is a common configuration.
Please do NOT denigrate a poster for offering sound advice based solely on your personal opinion or experience as your personal understanding may be smaller than you believe!
If that sounded condescending...well that was my intent. Have a good day...

How does a new caliper solve the OP's issue, maybe go ask you friend at the Jeep plant...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.