Replacing brake pads..ceramic?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing brake pads..ceramic??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Q-01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing brake pads..ceramic??

Doing a brake job and the parts store offers ceramic pads. Money isnt a prob, just want good, long use pads... are ceramic pads any good? Never used them before...

Thanks

Unread 12-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

My vote is a resounding NO. I had them on the YJ once and found they had much less stopping power. Won't do that again.

On the other hand, I've used them on airplanes and like them.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

How many ceramic pad types did you try before you came to that decision? The last brake pads installed on my TJ as a test for mrblaine's Big Brake kit were ceramic and they provided a very noticeable improvement over the previous non-ceramics I was running.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Q-01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

LOL

Jerry, youre a nut! So, I guess thats a 'yes' on the ceramic pads Jerry?

Just talked to my buddy who runs a garage and he said yes to the ceramic. he also said Chrysler rotors are notoriously soft and to replace the rotors as well. hell, may as well do rotors, calipers (think front right is sticking), and pads.....................??
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
How many ceramic pad types did you try before you came to that decision? The last brake pads installed on my TJ as a test for mrblaine's Big Brake kit were ceramic and they provided a very noticeable improvement over the previous non-ceramics I was running.
What else was in the brake kit?? Did that have an effect on the performance?

I tried one. It was on a YJ, and the performance was so noticably inferior so I didn't see the need to do a widespread test of products to see if there was a difference.

In the case of airplanes, we used a couple of different brands. The difference in the braking systems is so vast that a comparison is not valid.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

These will do you good.

http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/p...idCategory=735

The Vanco is an upgrade to better calipers. pads and a small screw assortment bag.

It's a good bit more than just a pad replacement though.
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you're just looking for top rate pad replacement the EBC Green Stuff or Napa Severe Duty pads are at the top of the list. Also vetted and approved by Mr Blaine.

-Roger
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Q-01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys
Unread 12-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
What else was in the brake kit?? Did that have an effect on the performance?

I tried one. It was on a YJ, and the performance was so noticably inferior so I didn't see the need to do a widespread test of products to see if there was a difference.

In the case of airplanes, we used a couple of different brands. The difference in the braking systems is so vast that a comparison is not valid.
That's cute. Take one brand's version of a ceramic pad that's pure crap and use that to label all others to be the same performance and then readily admit that the same logic doesn't hold true in a different application.

You are correct in one aspect though, just because it says ceramic does not mean it's a good pad. In fact if you run a taller heavy rig with big tires and run the Morse ceramics from AutoZone, we may well read about you in the obituaries, they are that bad. OTOH, if you run the Centric version of the Ceramic pad, we may read about you in the accident pages because you got rearended.

Don't be so quick to judge something you have no experience with.
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #10
Q-01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
That's cute. Take one brand's version of a ceramic pad that's pure crap and use that to label all others to be the same performance and then readily admit that the same logic doesn't hold true in a different application.

You are correct in one aspect though, just because it says ceramic does not mean it's a good pad. In fact if you run a taller heavy rig with big tires and run the Morse ceramics from AutoZone, we may well read about you in the obituaries, they are that bad. OTOH, if you run the Centric version of the Ceramic pad, we may read about you in the accident pages because you got rearended.

Don't be so quick to judge something you have no experience with.
mrblaine,

You scared me a little with that last post (Morse ceramics)...after I finished laughing I mean.

So I went and got the box my pads came in... These are Wagner Thermo Quiet pads put out by Federal-Mogul Corp., Southfield, MI. Are these safe to run? I'd love to know before I put it all back together - I can still take them back... changing pads, rotors, calipers, etc.

I appreciate your help
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

I recently added the EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and EBC SUV red ceramic pads. I followed the instructions and feel I didnt gain anything and actually think my braking is less.
Initially they felt really good but as time has gone on I'm thinking it is not what I want.
I have redone the break in procedure several times and it does improve it each time but that quickly fades, no pun intended, after a few stops in traffic. Im a late braker so I use them hard.
Im just not ready to drop $1k on brakes. I know I know, I will have when you add everything up working with other stuff.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ
I recently added the EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and EBC SUV red ceramic pads. I followed the instructions and feel I didnt gain anything and actually think my braking is less.
Initially they felt really good but as time has gone on I'm thinking it is not what I want.
I have redone the break in procedure several times and it does improve it each time but that quickly fades, no pun intended, after a few stops in traffic. Im a late braker so I use them hard.
Im just not ready to drop $1k on brakes. I know I know, I will have when you add everything up working with other stuff.
Do yourself a favor and dump those rotors for some premium vented rotors from someone like Centric. You will be pleased with the swap, although I don't have any experience with the Red pads and would probably have gone to the 7000 series green ones instead. No matter what though, dump the rotors.
Unread 12-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-01
mrblaine,

You scared me a little with that last post (Morse ceramics)...after I finished laughing I mean.

So I went and got the box my pads came in... These are Wagner Thermo Quiet pads put out by Federal-Mogul Corp., Southfield, MI. Are these safe to run? I'd love to know before I put it all back together - I can still take them back... changing pads, rotors, calipers, etc.

I appreciate your help
No experience with them, but I've not heard or read anything that tells me you won't be okay either.
Unread 12-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ
What break-in procedure is EBC calling out for the Red pads?
Unread 12-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
TheTinCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-01
mrblaine,

I appreciate your help
Am running 33`s and swapped out stock pads for the exact ones you have, Wagner Thermo Quiet. I found them to be a HUGE improvement over stock and I installed them on the worn stock rotors. In fact the braking improvement was so great I thought sure the new pads would warp my stock rotors in no time but it has been about 20K miles now and my stock rotors are still OK, not great, but OK.

I think you will be very happy with the Wagner Thermo Quiets.

Good Luck!
2005 BLACK Unlimited , I6, 6 speed, 3:73. 4" Rock Krawler lift, Advanced Adapters SYE, CV driveshaft, 33X12.50 BFG ATs, 15X8 BLACK steel rock crawlers (Series 97), Swaybar Discos, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Rancho RS9000X Shocks
TheTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.