Replacing axles - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing axles

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #31
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
I don't want to push you budget higher, but have you thought of lockers? Now would be a great time.

And thanks for your service come back safe!
I have given lockers a thought. My thing is that this is my DD so with that a automatic locker in the front would be ok i think which I have given an aussie a thought for that. But as for the rear I would def need a selectable which is more than I want to spend atm for that. I don't really wheel that hard. Not really into the rocks or anything just mostly wooded trails and some mud holes here and there. So what are your guys opinions on an aussie or another automatic locker for a DD??

Thank you for thanking me for my service lol I'm active AF deployed to very comfortable/safe spot relatively speaking anyway. Still away from my kids and wife but that's the worst part. I'm really thankful to be so fortunate especially whenever I know some people personally in the army who are not in such comforts as I am. My <3 & prayers go out to them for their safe return.

djcrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #32
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would bump my old one. Here's a quick recap for those who do not want to read the previous posts. I have an 04, 4 banger, 5spd on 35s which I am going to swap the D44 from an 01 into and regear to 4.88s.

Here is the gear set I was thinking about getting-->Superior Gears for TJ 4.88 Dana 30 / 44 with Master Install Kits

Would 4.88s be too much. Should I get 4.56s? I commute about 15 miles to work every morning and this is my DD. I want to be able to keep up with traffic at least up to 75 if I can.

Also a automatic locker up front would be fine right? I was thinking about getting an aussie. Opinions/recommendations

Thanks for the input!

Jake
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #33
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrab View Post
Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would bump my old one. Here's a quick recap for those who do not want to read the previous posts. I have an 04, 4 banger, 5spd on 35s which I am going to swap the D44 from an 01 into and regear to 4.88s.

Here is the gear set I was thinking about getting-->Superior Gears for TJ 4.88 Dana 30 / 44 with Master Install Kits

Would 4.88s be too much. Should I get 4.56s? I commute about 15 miles to work every morning and this is my DD. I want to be able to keep up with traffic at least up to 75 if I can.

Also a automatic locker up front would be fine right? I was thinking about getting an aussie. Opinions/recommendations

Thanks for the input!

Jake
The Aussie should be invisible for the most part in 2wd. You will hear some ratcheting noise on slow sharp turns, like into a parking spot, but nothing you won't soon ignore until a passenger points it out.

I have a 98 with the 4.0L,, I went with 4:56 gears, but I wish I had gone to 4:88. However, your transmission is different than mine and the 2.5L changes stuff as well so you would be better servered if others advise on the gears.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #34
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for reinforcing my aussie decision little jeep.

Anyone have a 2.4/5, 5spd, with 4.88s on 33s/35s? Looking for some opinions as to how you like it. Anyone? Thanks.
Unread 11-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #35
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

You should at least go with 4.88s with a 5spd and a 2.5L. An Aussie in the front should be pretty unnoticeable while in 2wd.

Thank you for your service.
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , axle replace , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.