Replacing axles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing axles

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
You hit the jackpot! I wish my wife would run Jeep parts for me....especially big ones like axles. Since I am already married and can't go to the parts running wife store, is there a place to send mine to have her retrained?

P.S. A big thank-you for your service.
Well more like my wife will have one of my neighbors haul them there and then she can pay up for them lol. Either way she likes the JEEP!!

And thanks.

djcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
the 44 might be worth it if the set price is good. I'd skip the 30 and go find a HP30
Considering his situation, I'm not sure that a HP30 would be worth the effort.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Considering his situation, I'm not sure that a HP30 would be worth the effort.
What effort? It's a bolt in replacement. He needs to regear anyway. It makes sense to get the HP30 now.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
What effort? It's a bolt in replacement. He needs to regear anyway. It makes sense to get the HP30 now.
He is half way around the world. He would have to locate an axle, get some one to pick it up, then transport it to shop that is going to change gears, for really minimal improvement over a LP30.
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He is half way around the world.
they did export Jeep's to other countries. in fact, some export Jeeps got much better axles & drivetrain than the USA Jeeps did. (i.e. XJ HP D44, 2.73:1 NP241, J8 D60, VM diesel engine, etc).

Quote:
He would have to locate an axle, get some one to pick it up, then transport it to shop that is going to change gears, for really minimal improvement over a LP30.
We do it in the USA all the time. Locate an axle, pick it up, then install it in the Jeep and drive to a shop, and have them regear it. While the axle might be easier to find here, I'm sure he can find one assuming XJ's were exported to that part of the world.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
they did export Jeep's to other countries. in fact, some export Jeeps got much better axles & drivetrain than the USA Jeeps did. (i.e. XJ HP D44, 2.73:1 NP241, J8 D60, VM diesel engine, etc).

We do it in the USA all the time. Locate an axle, pick it up, then install it in the Jeep and drive to a shop, and have them regear it. While the axle might be easier to find here, I'm sure he can find one assuming XJ's were exported to that part of the world.
Unless I missed something,,,,,,, the Jeep is in the USA and he is in the sandbox.
Unread 07-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unless I missed something,,,,,,, the Jeep is in the USA and he is in the sandbox.
oh, well i missed that part.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He is half way around the world. He would have to locate an axle, get some one to pick it up, then transport it to shop that is going to change gears, for really minimal improvement over a LP30.
He's already established that he has internet access and a wife that's able to help him out. If he decides he wants to do the swap later, he'll end up spending money for gears and setup all over again. If it was my jeep, I'd want it done now.
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

Dude you made me chuckle a bit there, lol.

As for the HP30, there are a couple of junk yards and a pick 'n' pull within 10 miles or so of my house. I'm sure there is one laying somewhere at one of those sites. The only thing would be to get one of my buddies to go pull it for me or wait till I get back to pull it myself. Or I could order one from ECGS with the gears already then swap over everything else off my LP30 right?
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #25
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
for really minimal improvement over a LP30.
The driveshaft clearance alone would be worth it to me...
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For those who are running, 4.0/5speed/35s/4.88s, what rpms are you pushing on highway, and what MPGs are yout getting?
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #27
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrab View Post

As for the HP30, there are a couple of junk yards and a pick 'n' pull within 10 miles or so of my house. I'm sure there is one laying somewhere at one of those sites. The only thing would be to get one of my buddies to go pull it for me or wait till I get back to pull it myself. Or I could order one from ECGS with the gears already then swap over everything else off my LP30 right?
Correct, everything is compatible except for the gears.

It's been my experience that most wrecking yards pull the part for you. If you search Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, you should be able to find one, but I've seen them go for a lot less money on the forums.
Unread 07-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #28
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That is what I did, I ordered a HP30 from ECG.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #29
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Trying to get my list together for my regear when I get back. I'm going to have this local guy do my gears for me.. Would this set here-->Superior Gears for TJ 4.88 Dana 30 / 44 with Master Install Kits work? I know that I need a new carrier for the D44. Where is a good place to get one? Other than that stuff what else would I need? Any other/different recommendations? Thanks.
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #30
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trying to get my list together for my regear when I get back. I'm going to have this local guy do my gears for me.. Would this set here-->Superior Gears for TJ 4.88 Dana 30 / 44 with Master Install Kits work? I know that I need a new carrier for the D44. Where is a good place to get one? Other than that stuff what else would I need? Any other/different recommendations? Thanks.
I don't want to push you budget higher, but have you thought of lockers? Now would be a great time.

And thanks for your service come back safe!
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle , axle replace , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.