Replacing axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing axles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 07-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Replacing axles

Well it seems like i've found a decent deal on a set of axles. I found a 30/44 for $500. My plan is to have my wife take them to the shop to get re-geared for my 35s so that when i get back from my deployment I can just bolt them in. The axles are from a 01 TJ and mine is a 04. They should be straight bolt ons correct? Since I'm sure the pumpkin is a different size would i need to get a different driveshaft?

djcrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They should bolt right in.
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
They should bolt right in.
Yes and no. They should bolt right in, but with no spring lift (according to your profile) your driveshaft may be too short. The D44 is 1" longer. You would not be able to tell until you bottom the rear suspension out, and jam your slip yoke into your TC case. Best to do it on jackstands before you put the rear springs back in, instead of on a trail. You can have it shortened at a reputable shop.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just thought of something else. The 44 has 3.73 gears in it atm, I plan on going to 4.88, will I need a new carrier? Thanks.
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a HPD30 and Ford 8.8 from East Coast Gear Supply. I got 4.88s put in them. I have not installed the HPD30 yet, but both axles are identical and will bolt right in. The 8.8 lined up better then the D35 did, and I am re-using my stock ds and upper arms with minimal vibes.
Hope it works out for you, you will love 4.88s.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrab View Post
Just thought of something else. The 44 has 3.73 gears in it atm, I plan on going to 4.88, will I need a new carrier? Thanks.
Nope.
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
Nope.
wrong. D44 carrier break is 3.73/3.92. he'll need a new carrier for 4.88s. D30 front will NOT need a new carrier, that carrier break is 3.54/3.73
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

oops, I was thinking front. I just ordered 4.88's and my current gears are 3.73's. Sorry djcrab....and LJ04
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well it seems like i've found a decent deal on a set of axles. I found a 30/44 for $500. My plan is to have my wife take them to the shop to get re-geared for my 35s so that when i get back from my deployment I can just bolt them in. The axles are from a 01 TJ and mine is a 04. They should be straight bolt ons correct? Since I'm sure the pumpkin is a different size would i need to get a different driveshaft?
You know, while you have the axles out, it would be the perfect time to install a lift kit.... you would be killing two birds at same time. Also, since you will need a new rear driveshaft, or to have your current one modified, you might want to got for the SYE and CV shaft also. I hear stories of people having driveshafts modified for cheap. However, my personal experience (using republic Diesel), I can buy a new driveshaft for what it cost to modify one. If your future plans are for a lift & SYE, you may want to give some serious thought to doing it all at the same time as you will end up with a better setup, and probably save some $$$ in the process.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
You know, while you have the axles out, it would be the perfect time to install a lift kit.... you would be killing two birds at same time. Also, since you will need a new rear driveshaft, or to have your current one modified, you might want to got for the SYE and CV shaft also. I hear stories of people having driveshafts modified for cheap. However, my personal experience (using republic Diesel), I can buy a new driveshaft for what it cost to modify one. If your future plans are for a lift & SYE, you may want to give some serious thought to doing it all at the same time as you will end up with a better setup, and probably save some $$$ in the process.
That's what the plan is. I'm ordering either the 3.5 or 4.5 SF rubicon express kit w/ SYE combo of 4x4groupbuy. I had the same exact thought..
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

why would you buy a 30 like you already have?
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

dude will only sell as a set. I don't need anything bigger really so I'm ok with that. I'm going to have the wife take both the axles in to the shop for a re-gear. Then when I get back from my deployment swap them in and sell them.
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the 44 might be worth it if the set price is good. I'd skip the 30 and go find a HP30
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm going to have the wife take both the axles in to the shop for a re-gear.
You hit the jackpot! I wish my wife would run Jeep parts for me....especially big ones like axles. Since I am already married and can't go to the parts running wife store, is there a place to send mine to have her retrained?

P.S. A big thank-you for your service.
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
djcrab
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
the 44 might be worth it if the set price is good. I'd skip the 30 and go find a HP30

I had thought about that when I was going to order an 8.8. I guess I may still do that since it would be a relatively cheap & easy upgrade.

Tags
axle , axle replace , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.