Replacing AC Compressor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing AC Compressor

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
T_Strife
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing AC Compressor

Has anyone here ever attempted it or does anyone have a good write up on the steps?

tia!

T_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
ToyTJ
2008 WK 

I swapped out the compressor on my '97 Sport recently because of a bad bearing. Ordered a new compressor and dryer online.

http://www.discountacparts.com/jeep_ac_compressor.htm

Loosen idler pulley (bolt in center of pulley) and take serpentine off compressor pulley.

Release system pressure at valve in refrigerant line near compressor.

Remove old compressor and install new compressor. Careful not to spill oil when removing shipping plug.

Set serpentine and tighten idler pulley.

You've done all you can reasonably do. Now take the Jeep to an A/C shop and have them install the dryer (takes special tools to remove the old one). They will now pull a vacuum and recharge the system. My shop charged $100 for their part.

Hope this helps. I saved about $300 doing it this way, and it wasn't very hard.
'08 WK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Black, MyGig NAV, DVD, Roof, Tow, 18" chromes, Tint, Addco sway bars, KYB gas shocks/struts, Hemi Club #66
ToyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just a little note to that, 2000's have a belt tensioner so loosening the belt is a little bit different. On the tensioner, you will see a square shape casted in the middle of it. Just simply put a 3/8'' drive ratchet on it, and you can loosen it. Be careful because it's spring loaded! When putting the belt back on, you don't need to adjust it. Also, it will be a bit harder because the AC compressor is at the bottom of the engine, instead of the top like the 97-99 TJ's. To give yourself some room, I'd remove the alternator first. Good luck

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
T_Strife
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info and the link guys! My local AC shop gave me a quote of $585 + tax for a new compressor w/clutch, oil, charge and labor. Which isn't too bad I guess considering if I were to get the AC Kit from discountacparts at $325 and my AC Shop charged me the same amount for installing the drier and charge as yours did ($325+$100=$425). Almost makes me consider just letting them do it all for $585, but in the end if I can save $160 I'm gonna do it, with the money I save I might just be able to buy 2 or 3 gallons of gas with it .

Thanks again!
Unread 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
T_Strife
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One more quick question: Do you know if the Kit comes with any sort of instructions? I'm no mechanic, but give me some tools and a good set of instructions and I can generally get the job done.
Unread 06-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
ToyTJ
2008 WK 

There were NO instructions with the kit and I was surprised. I guess they can't imagine a diy guy messing with this project. I found most of what I needed to know searcing threads on this forum.
'08 WK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Black, MyGig NAV, DVD, Roof, Tow, 18" chromes, Tint, Addco sway bars, KYB gas shocks/struts, Hemi Club #66
ToyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
On the tensioner, you will see a square shape casted in the middle of it. Just simply put a 3/8'' drive ratchet on it, and you can loosen it.
I believe its a 1/2"
Unread 06-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Strife View Post
One more quick question: Do you know if the Kit comes with any sort of instructions?
According to the web site, the kit comes with "installation tips."
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
T_Strife
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
According to the web site, the kit comes with "installation tips."
That almost sounds scary...like all it will amount to is "THIS SIDE UP" on the box :lol:.
Unread 06-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Zew

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i've dealt w/ these guys in the past... they have great prices. http://www.jeepair.com/ac/wrangler-1.php
Zew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

ac compressor on 1994 grand cherokee v8 5.2 blow out and mist and smoke

anybody know have to replace a ac compressor? my ac compressor was lecking for a two month then one day i turn the car on and it blow up fron went everywhere there was smoke and and a bad smell. i think my ac just hates me. anybody have steps or pic or videos on how to replace a ac compressor. i can get a ac for 112.00 rebuilt i'm just not sure what kinda of tools i need or spec tool i have ratchet and socket set and other tools i need to no if there is a spec tool. so if anybody has pic or video on this for 94 grands v8s
tylersjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
h8t3rpr00f

Ok so I'm new here and new to jeeps. I recently purchased a 1998 jeep gc laredo with the 4.0 and after installing an aftermarket stereo which put a heavier load on the serpentine belt which in turn made the ac compressor clutch squeal. I purchased the idler pulley bracket to replace the compressor (don't need it or want it) and am wondering if anyone has done this before and has some helpful tips. Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
h8t3rpr00f is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.