replacing 4cyl with 6cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacing 4cyl with 6cyl

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
phil77
1980 CJ7 

replacing 4cyl with 6cyl

I was thinking of getting either a Cj7 or this 98 wrangler. http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1870856685.html.. I got them talked down to 5000.. the problem I have with it is that it is a 4cyl.. I want a six... Would I be able to just swap out the 4 for a six..or would I need to change trans or other parts. and it comes with a rubicon express 2" lift.is that any good...

I just plan on doing some beach riding and light trail riding and cruising around town..

phil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can't comment on the 2" lift, but if you're not going to be using the extra power of the 4.0 then don't waste your money on the swap. The 2.5 is a good little engine, and you'd be much better served to keep it where it is and spend your money on some gears, instead.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
phil77
1980 CJ7 

I've just done some research on this site and it doesnt look like I can just take the jeep to the shop and have them put in a six instead of the 4..Didnt relize it was so involved
phil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil77 View Post
...it doesnt look like I can just take the jeep to the shop and have them put in a six instead of the 4...
Sure you can, you just have to be willing to pay for it.

Seriously, if you want a 4.0L you are far better off finding a TJ with one instead of swapping one in.

Tags
engine swap , 4 cyl , 6 cyl , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.