Replacing '02 Alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing '02 Alternator

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
BlueSurferKris
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing '02 Alternator

So, after experiencing some "check gauges" illumination and voltage fluctuating between 12-16 while running, I've decided to delve further than just changing my own oil. After this happened, Jeep has turned over okay every time but once. Once it was dead and then all of my gauges started ticking and jumping in synchronization. I let it sit for a min and then tried again and she started fine, but I still have the gauges light coming on and fluctuating voltage. I cleaned and inspected all of the battery/alternator connections and they look okay but the problem persists.

I'm at 99,750 km (I'm from Canada) which means my alternator is probably to blame. Wouldn't you say? Up here some parts tend to have a clockwork 100,000km life span.

I've been doing my best with the search function on here but I'm coming up empty handed for '02 alternator compatibility with Durango and Cherokee. I see lots of talk about the '96-'99 models and even some for '03-'06 upgrades, but I'm not looking to upgrade. I'm looking to be cost effective and I'm not shelling out $500 for some mean green situation when jeepers in the same Sport build range ('97-'02) are getting sweet junk yard deals or rebuilds on compatible alternator models. I'm not running a winch or light bar or mega sound system so I just need to know if any of you jeepers out there have done a successful swap for something efficient but cheaper.

Please let me know your expert recommendations. What alternator should I get and from where? Or if you could direct me in the way of an older thread for an '02 swap that would be great too.

This will be my first time actually wrenching on my jeep, wish me luck.

BlueSurferKris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , wrangler , alternator , replace , replacing , help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.