Replacement radiator - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement radiator

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #76
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

True, but its still good to use a device that reads info from your ecu.

I was amazed to find out that my speedometer is actually about 2 mph off of my ecu and GPS readings

Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #77
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
For some TJs but not all and some of the gauges are dumber than others.
Agreed, Earlier TJ temp gauge does have value to it.
02 was the last yr for useful temp/pressure gauges on the Dodge CTD (Cummins turbo diesel).
After that year it was a three position gauge.... basically Low, OK, or High
It's reasonable to suspect Jeep probably same yrs.?
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #78
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
That's a good point to add as the dash gauges are dummy gauges with exception to mph and rpm.
That's not true on early TJs, they only reprogrammed the oil pressure gauge around 2002 to give a mid-scale reading if everything is ok so as to not unnecessarily alarm those who don't understand that oil pressure is supposed to go up & down with engine rpms. My '97 TJ's oil pressure gauge was accurate. The other gauges are still accurate.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #79
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
That's not true on early TJs, they only reprogrammed the oil pressure gauge around 2002 to give a mid-scale reading if everything is ok so as to not unnecessarily alarm those who don't understand that oil pressure is supposed to go up & down with engine rpms. My '97 TJ's oil pressure gauge was accurate. The other gauges are still accurate.
As i understand it, the coolant temp gauge isn't an actual gauge either on the later jeeps. I believe Unlimited04 has posted about it in the past and how the gauge won't move significantly until it is too hot and then it jumps to the red zone. Mine also behaves in a similar fashion. The needle would hardly move even when I was getting heat soak.

I do agree that there is an issue with the cooling system if an increase in temp is noticed by adding a winch. Mine cools just fine now that I replaced my bad fan clutch.

Edit: found the link to the discussion on gauges

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/temp-ok-not-1244859/
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #80
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
As i understand it, the coolant temp gauge isn't an actual gauge either on the later jeeps. I believe Unlimited04 has posted about it in the past and how the gauge won't move significantly until it is too hot and then it jumps to the red zone.

I do agree that there is an issue with the cooling system if an increase in temp is noticed by adding a winch. Mine cools just fine now that I replaced my bad fan clutch.
My '04 temp gauge seems to work fine, including the several times my engine overheated last year.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #81
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My '04 temp gauge seems to work fine, including the several times my engine overheated last year.
Seriously? Was the gauge or sending unit swapped out? Ever had a scan tool on it?

My 05 and 03, plus the girls 06 all jump between 200 and 214 as the thermostat opens, but the needle just sits at 210
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #82
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
my 04 temp gauge is little more than an idiot light, and I suspect yours is the same exact way.

slap a scan tool on it, and you'll notice something interesting.

the dash gauge points at "about" 210 when the ECU reading is actually between roughly 185-235. Once it gets past about 245F or so, the gauge starts moving off the 210 mark...then as the engine continues to heat up very fast, the gauge quickly pegs over in the red and trips a CEL....but by that time it's been way too hot for way too long, and you could have done something to keep it from overheating a long time ago.

My personal experience has been that there is very little warning that anything is wrong, unless you have a scantool to watch real temps. The dash temp gauge is about as useful as the oil pressure gauge. When it points at 210, call it 210 +/- 30.

I also have overheating issues with my 04, and have since it was nearly new.....if I trust the factory temp gauge. Mine hasn't actually overheated in years, because I started paying attention to my Scangauge II instead of the dash gauge. The scangauge's more accurate temps gives me enough warning to do something to prevent the engine from reaching that overheating point. In my case, it means turning off the A/C, and turning on the heater....on a blazing hot day.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #83
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
my 04 temp gauge is little more than an idiot light, and I suspect yours is the same exact way.

slap a scan tool on it, and you'll notice something interesting.

the dash gauge points at "about" 210 when the ECU reading is actually between roughly 185-235. Once it gets past about 245F or so, the gauge starts moving off the 210 mark...then as the engine continues to heat up very fast, the gauge quickly pegs over in the red and trips a CEL....but by that time it's been way too hot for way too long, and you could have done something to keep it from overheating a long time ago.

My personal experience has been that there is very little warning that anything is wrong, unless you have a scantool to watch real temps. The dash temp gauge is about as useful as the oil pressure gauge. When it points at 210, call it 210 +/- 30.

I also have overheating issues with my 04, and have since it was nearly new.....if I trust the factory temp gauge. Mine hasn't actually overheated in years, because I started paying attention to my Scangauge II instead of the dash gauge. The scangauge's more accurate temps gives me enough warning to do something to prevent the engine from reaching that overheating point. In my case, it means turning off the A/C, and turning on the heater....on a blazing hot day.

Life Is Good , cup of hot tea on me Mike, to gowith the heat on a blazing hot day.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #84
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 06 guage follows my ScanGuage II pretty closely.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #85
BicycleCaptain
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This thread has helped me answer a lot of questions. My radiator recently started to leak at normal place and I was really questioning what replace it with... NAPA, OE, OEM, all aluminum, etc. I decided to go with OEM Mopar, $112 plus tax couldn't be beat! Now I have a project for next weekend. QUESTION... my 2001 4.0 only has 58k on the original motor, should I worry about changing the water pump, thermo? I am currently having NO issues with cooling, short of the leaking radiator. Thanks!
BicycleCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #86
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleCaptain View Post
This thread has helped me answer a lot of questions. My radiator recently started to leak at normal place and I was really questioning what replace it with... NAPA, OE, OEM, all aluminum, etc. I decided to go with OEM Mopar, $112 plus tax couldn't be beat! Now I have a project for next weekend. QUESTION... my 2001 4.0 only has 58k on the original motor, should I worry about changing the water pump, thermo? I am currently having NO issues with cooling, short of the leaking radiator. Thanks!
Where did you find a Mopar rad for $112?

Unread 06-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #87
BicycleCaptain
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Where did you find a Mopar rad for $112?
I was a Chrysler Tech a in previous life and pulled some strings.
BicycleCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #88
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha. That's a great deal, good job.

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #89
BrokerDon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

SUPERCHARGED TJ cooling

We kept the stock Jeep radiator when we added a Kenne Bell supercharger (283/403 hp/torque vs. stock 190/235... 44% more HP and 52% more torque) to our 4.0 liter I-6 in our 2003 Rubicon a couple of years ago. To avoid any cooling issues, we did the following cooling system upgrades and its worked GREAT even in HOT rock crawling in Moab:

AEV heat reducing hood
Flow Kooler high flow water pump
Mopar 7-blade fan PN: 55037650AA DISCONTINUED (got mine years ago)
Mopar HD fan clutch PN: 05066177AA
Turbo City high flow thermostat housing
Turbo City high flow thermostat (160 degree for Kenne Bell supercharger)

We also have a Hanson Enterprises front bumper (same as Tomb Raider movie Jeep) which has a depressed (lower) built-in winch mount that keeps our relatively low profile Warn 9000i winch out of most of the airflow.

The Mopar fan & HD fan clutch are described in detail here: http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/fa...clutch_in.html

As always, YMMV but these upgrades have worked GREAT on our HOT supercharged 4.0

Read more: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/267734...#ixzz2XiIkFfO5
BrokerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #90
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
..... I decided to go with OEM Mopar, $112 plus tax couldn't be beat! Now I have a project for next weekend..... !
Quote:
I wouldn't change from factory parts at 58,000 miles. JMO.

And spectaculat deal on the Rad!
I got a little over 10% off and paid $255.00 last month... and was happy

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.