Replacement radiator - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement radiator

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #61
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
isnt that backwards, as heat rises, why would you want the hotter liquid at the bottom.

naturally it doesnt make a difference at speed, but while wheeling
Because the coolant in pumped in at the top of the radiator and as it falls to be bottom the air flowing thru the radiator has time to cool it.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #62
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i've never gauged it, but how cool do you think the return coolant is? i doubt you'd see more than a 30 deg delta, just a guestimation, so we are talking around 180
Your 30* is about right!!
I put a infared heat gun on upper and lower radiator hoses..... after a 20 min drive home, on hwy.
Top Hose = 187*
Bottom Hose = 152*
OAT = 92*

I also measured height of actual (air flow) fins from both.
Tough to be exact measuring cooling fins height, when on the TJ ........
but as best I can determine, manual radiator has 1" taller fin area than automatic radiator!

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #63
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Because the coolant in pumped in at the top of the radiator and as it falls to be bottom the air flowing thru the radiator has time to cool it.
that is correct, thats how the engine coolant part of a radiator works. my statement was questioning the design that was used to put an even hotter liquid at the bottom of a radiator, if the trans fluid is in fact hotter than the engine coolant
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #64
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
that is correct, thats how the engine coolant part of a radiator works. my statement was questioning the design that was used to put an even hotter liquid at the bottom of a radiator, if the trans fluid is in fact hotter than the engine coolant
To cool the transmission fluid down when it gets hot...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #65
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I guess if they put it at the top it wouldn't cool down as well. But most of the time my ATF is about the same temp as the coolant at the bottom of the tank.
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #66
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
To cool the transmission fluid down when it gets hot...
ok, that makes sense, so if the trans fluid gets too hot, a bit of added strain should be no problem for the engine cooling system
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #67
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok, that makes sense, so if the trans fluid gets too hot, a bit of added strain should be no problem for the engine cooling system
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #68
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I love my Griffin all-aluminum single-row. Very well made and easily keeps the coolant at the proper temp on the hottest days, going uphill in the mountains with the a/c on.

The only reason I didn't go OEM is because my orignial OEM leaked at the plastic tank seams. Also, a friend of mine had the plastic tank on his OEM blow out on the highway.
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #69
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I love my Griffin all-aluminum single-row. Very well made and easily keeps the coolant at the proper temp on the hottest days, going uphill in the mountains with the a/c on.

The only reason I didn't go OEM is because my orignial OEM leaked at the plastic tank seams. Also, a friend of mine had the plastic tank on his OEM blow out on the highway.
Just remember, just because yours is all aluminum doest mean it can't have problems either. If fact, I think the OEM design is better due to the crimped on tanks, as the tank can flex with the frame of the JEEP and not spring a leak like a radiator that is more rigid. Also how old was yours before it leaked and your buddies blew out on the highway?
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #70
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Telling people to look for OEM radiators for $100 is like telling them to go find the 7 blade TSB fan.
Like this one?

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #71
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Just remember, just because yours is all aluminum doest mean it can't have problems either. If fact, I think the OEM design is better due to the crimped on tanks, as the tank can flex with the frame of the JEEP and not spring a leak like a radiator that is more rigid. Also how old was yours before it leaked and your buddies blew out on the highway?
Mine was leaking when I got the Jeep used at about 136K. I don't know when it started. It was just a mild seam leak and it wouldn't hold pressure. My friend's was under 100K. Based on these two things, I wanted to spring for something more realiable that still cools well, (or hopefully more reliable in the long term. I guess I won't know for a while).
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #72
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Mine was leaking when I got the Jeep used at about 136K. I don't know when it started. It was just a mild seam leak and it wouldn't hold pressure. My friend's was under 100K. Based on these two things, I wanted to spring for something more realiable that still cools well, (or hopefully more reliable in the long term. I guess I won't know for a while).
Let's hope so.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #73
OhSixTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Your cooling system simply has a problem that has made it marginal. By itself, a winch won't cause an engine to run hotter. Those of us with winches & properly functioning cooling system don't see hotter engine temps at all.
But it never got that high before the winch. i was idling in 103 degree heat today and the temps didn't go above 220.

I have installed poison spyders hood louvers. And just recently I've noticed my fan is "engaged" at temps as low as 220. Maybe my fan clutch is going out?

The fact that it only runs higher at highway speed (2500+ rpm) is what leads me to believe the winch and my kc lights on my smittybilt src bumper are restricting airflow.

And btw, I'm using a scantool-like device for temp readings. My dash gauge needle stayed between the 1 and 0 of the 210 mark.

I'm not worried about this increase in highway temps as I rarely drive at that speed except for those rare trips to the beach or ranch. Ideally I'd like temps a little cooler so I was thinking of moving that control box for the winch from on top of the drum to somewhere under the hood to let a little more air by.
OhSixTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #74
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good point to add as the dash gauges are dummy gauges with exception to mph and rpm.
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #75
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's a good point to add as the dash gauges are dummy gauges with exception to mph and rpm.
For some TJs but not all and some of the gauges are dumber than others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.