Replacement radiator - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement radiator

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Im also in Phoenix and have no cooling problems even with a cracked radiator, idling with AC on. Its a hairline crack that i JB welded for the time bring while i look for a decent deal on an OEM Mopar radiator. Bill Luke Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep has them for about $280-$290 out the door.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Then you have a problem somewhere that you need to fix, but an electrical fan isn't the answer.

As to the Explorer fan that was mentioned, experiences were mixed. Some people (myself included) tried it and was unhappy with the results and went back to stock. There were some people who stuck with it though I think.
X2 I tried that "upgrade" and didn't like it, and went back to stock. Since you know you need to replace the radiator, then get an OEM one and see how that does. Probably fixes your problem.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosr View Post
If it's not cooling enough under the hood, the fan clutch will be engaged and then adding load to the engine which will increase op temps.
The fan clutch operates off the temperature of the air coming through the radiator, not under hood temperature...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also in AZ and I was having problems running to hot at speed. I had an all metal radiator purchased from Radiator barn. It never ran cool from day one.
I got an oem style replacement from Napa a few weeks ago. Since then I've put over 1,000 miles on the jeep going from AZ to Utah to drive through Canyonlands nat'l park. Problem gone. Only cost $150, fit right, works right.

Curly
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have used a champion all aluminum radiator for the past 2yrs with no issues. Never leaks temp stays just below 210 and looks nice too. Cost 220 shipped. Its all aluminum tig welded no epoxy. Ledfoot Racing is where I got mine
Jeep_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.championradiators.com/
Jeep_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #22
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
I know a while ago someone did a bunch of research using a fan and clutch from (I think it was an Explorer). That supposedly moved more air. You won't find an electrical fan that is going to move more air than the OE clutch fan (assuming it is working properly).
That was me. I'm still running the 10 blade fan and clutch from a 93 Exploder. It's been working well with 1 exception. I did have a fan clutch failure that was covered under the lifetime warranty.

The new fan clutch works as designed.

It was 106F here last week and mine never got over 205F even with my AC on according to my aftermarket guage. Another worth while mod is to hog out and smooth the passages in the Thermostat housing.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #23
OhSixTJ

I just put a winch on and noticed increase coolant temps while driving down the highway doing 70 mph. It sat around 228 degrees. I attribute this to the engine turning a faster rpm which made the engine run hotter and on tip of that, the winch blocked the radiator. Going slower, at a lower rpm, the engine temps were normal. So I think a winch DOES affect coolant temps at highway speeds.
OhSixTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
roosr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My temp before installing winch & stinger was ALWAYS 210. Never had issues even in San Antonio. After installing the stinger & winch, while UNDER 50 MPH, I run normal and stays at 210. However, when at highway speed (55-60mph) constant speed, it creeps up and stays up. However, when slower, it drops. So it does effect cooling. This has been seen in multiple TJs that are owned by friends, as well as JKs. And these are with smaller winches installed, for example the Smittybult XRC8. Not a huge wench at all, but big enough to cause issues.

As for the fan clutch, if there is no airflow through the radiator, it'll be running at a higher temp & radiating the heat which engages the fan clutch. So the under hood temps do have an effect. Absolutely no way that the under hood temps CAN'T have a factor because it's heat that engages the clutch to run the fan. Which, in turn, can add load to the engine pushing that fan constantly if the temps don't happen to decrease.

Those are the points that I was trying to make.
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
lunchbox704

I went oem only because it was cheap and easy.
lunchbox704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
codyking58

Put OEM in
image-337798282.jpg  
codyking58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox704 View Post
I went oem only because it was cheap and easy.
If you went OEM...from Dealer.... it was not cheap! But it is probably the best...for manual trannys at least.
Dealers still have separate PN# for manual vs automatic. Not just one size fits all.
Radiator for manuals has no ATF cooling tank on the bottom. 100% of cooling fins work on coolant.
Suggested Retail is $285.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Hood louvers will lower under hood temps a lot, but if you are looking for them to change engine operating temps you have other problems.......
Totally agree!
Louvers will do nothing to cool down coolant temps on the road.
There is evidence they help for long term idling (emergency vehicles, etc).....
but that is not a Jeepers main concern.
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
I just put a winch on and noticed increase coolant temps while driving down the highway doing 70 mph. It sat around 228 degrees. I attribute this to the engine turning a faster rpm which made the engine run hotter and on tip of that, the winch blocked the radiator. Going slower, at a lower rpm, the engine temps were normal. So I think a winch DOES affect coolant temps at highway speeds.
Your cooling system simply has a problem that has made it marginal. By itself, a winch won't cause an engine to run hotter. Those of us with winches & properly functioning cooling system don't see hotter engine temps at all.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
codyking58

Since I replace the radiator it doesn't go over 210 when idling now!
codyking58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
If you went OEM...from Dealer.... it was not cheap! But it is probably the best...for manual trannys at least.
Dealers still have separate PN# for manual vs automatic. Not just one size fits all.
Radiator for manuals has no ATF cooling tank on the bottom. 100% of cooling fins work on coolant.
Suggested Retail is $285.00..
My previous TJ came from the factory with a 5-speed manual transmission & a radiator with an auto transmission cooler. I did not have to install a new radiator when I converted it from its OE 5-speed to the 32RH automatic transmission.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.