Replacement radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement radiator

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
codyking58

Replacement radiator

I live in Mesa az and it gets really hot here. My radiator has a bad leak and I was wondering what the best radiator I could get for cooling my jeep better. Thanks

codyking58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Your going to get a ton of people referring back to O.E.M...Enjoy the barrage

2002 FSM PDF version
angelo2975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The best? What's your budget?
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
codyking58

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
The best? What's your budget?
I don't want to spend over 300. So probably just going to go with the OEM and so a fan upgrade
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
roosr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Poison Spider hood vent installation would help greatly, especially if you have (or are planning on getting) a winch. I have a friend that has one on her JK and it does wonders. I'm getting one for mine since I have stock radiator, stock cooling, stinger, and winch and at highway speed, I get zero cooling through the radiator. It's an airdam with the winch but I've seen with the hood vent plate installed (cut holes in hood and install plate from Poison Spider), it DOES lower temps because it gives more airflow.

Just my $0.02...
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosr View Post
Poison Spider hood vent installation would help greatly, especially if you have (or are planning on getting) a winch. I have a friend that has one on her JK and it does wonders. I'm getting one for mine since I have stock radiator, stock cooling, stinger, and winch and at highway speed, I get zero cooling through the radiator. It's an airdam with the winch but I've seen with the hood vent plate installed (cut holes in hood and install plate from Poison Spider), it DOES lower temps because it gives more airflow.

Just my $0.02...
Hood louvers will lower under hood temps a lot, but if you are looking for them to change engine operating temps you have other problems with your cooling.
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyking58 View Post
I don't want to spend over 300. So probably just going to go with the OEM and so a fan upgrade
What fan "upgrade"?
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
codyking58

Quote:

What fan "upgrade"?
Electric fans maybe. What do you prefer?
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
codyking58

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosr

Just my $0.02...
Thanks
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Electric fans maybe. What do you prefer?
Stock TJ mechanical fan
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know a while ago someone did a bunch of research using a fan and clutch from (I think it was an Explorer). That supposedly moved more air. You won't find an electrical fan that is going to move more air than the OE clutch fan (assuming it is working properly).

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
roosr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Hood louvers will lower under hood temps a lot, but if you are looking for them to change engine operating temps you have other problems with your cooling.
That's why I qualified that if the OP was considering, or had a winch installed, that's something that will cause issues with the cooling as well. Stock radiator, stock t-stat, stock fan, and the hood louvers will help with the cooling. If it's not cooling enough under the hood, the fan clutch will be engaged and then adding load to the engine which will increase op temps. I understand what you are saying, but that's not the point I was making. Yes, he has a rad leak, but just replace with stock and go with the louver installation.

Just what I've seen done, have experienced as effective to keep TJ running at normal op temps (This was experienced in San Antonio, Texas, not too much different temps than OP location), and rather cost effective.
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
codyking58

Quote:

Stock TJ mechanical fan
I run hot idling like 220 to 230
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosr View Post
That's why I qualified that if the OP was considering, or had a winch installed, that's something that will cause issues with the cooling as well.
Maybe something like a Warn Powerplant that has the compressor on top, maybe. But a normal winch shouldn't create a problem for a well functioning cooling system. Run a poll thread and see how many people with winches have issues and how many don't?
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I run hot idling like 220 to 230
Then you have a problem somewhere that you need to fix, but an electrical fan isn't the answer.

As to the Explorer fan that was mentioned, experiences were mixed. Some people (myself included) tried it and were unhappy with the results and went back to stock. There were some people who stuck with it though I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.