replacement gas spring for rear window? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacement gas spring for rear window?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
richla
1997 TJ Wrangler 

replacement gas spring for rear window?

Guys:
My two rear gas springs/shocks that hold the rear window open, are completely useless. (worn out)
Where can I get replacements at a reasonable cost? I see numbers on the shocks, but I do not see anything to indicate "poundage" or other specs.
Any idea where to buy a replacement?
Thanks.

richla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

most parts store, pep boys, auto zone, o'riellys, etc have the gas struts. i am sure you could find them online also.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/55076310AD.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-REA...ht_4225wt_1167
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Like the above says, any parts store will have replacements.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
del_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quadracrap also has them. I got them a couple of years ago and they work fine.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55400_000.htm
del_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Stick to Mopar/Sachs or StrongArm replacements...they're the better ones out there and will last the longest.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
Stick to Mopar/Sachs or StrongArm replacements...they're the better ones out there and will last the longest.
I have not found much difference in the life of OEM (Ford and two Chrysler) vs parts store replacements. They typically last 7-8 years before they start to give out.

89 Mustang, on third set of hatch struts

99 Durango, on second set

03 TJ, The top was added by the previous owner. It is an 03-06 so the struts are 5-8 years old. They are just starting to get weak.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've seen people use no name cheapies from ebay and other parts stores that wore out within a year and change on WJ hoods, ZJ tailgates, & XJ tailgates.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
wolfrivercc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've always been a fan of Monroe brand myself for those and there shocks too.
wolfrivercc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
I've seen people use no name cheapies from ebay and other parts stores that wore out within a year and change on WJ hoods, ZJ tailgates, & XJ tailgates.
While I don't doubt that at all, and completely agree that you get what you pay for with stuff like this. Those hatches and hoods are very different beasts than the glass on a hard top. I have used the cheepies on both my TJ hatch and my XJ tailgates. Never again on the XJ I think I still have the bump on my head, but the TJ, still good to go. Maybe I got lucky maybe its the weight.
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Toonces
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought 2 of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R4FRNO Monroe in July 2009 for my 97 and they'll crack your jaw if you're not careful. I always use my hand to guide it open. My kids have learned to stand back too. I don't know if they're supposed to be that strong as this is my first hardtop and the old ones wouldn't even hold the window up let alone lift it. 2 of these and it flies open.
Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

it shouldn't be dangerous. you should be able to overcome them with moderate to little effort. There are many different ones for different hatches and hoods. They all have different pressures of gas to hold different weights. You could break the glass if they are too strong. I recommend checking the part number maybe monroe has a application chart online?
Unread 04-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
wolfrivercc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They do. I don't have the number right now but ill get it.
wolfrivercc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
Toonces
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Same ones I linked to above. 901385. It's not that you can't overcome them, it's easy to put it back down, it just opens really fast once you pass a certain point and snaps up. If you're not paying attention or don't have your hand on it, it can smack you in the jaw or nose.

http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPar...dStatus=ACTIVE
Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Cameron1863
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would use oem because if you break the glass it's expensive, ask me how I know.
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
cawolle
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mopar parts-window shattered

I had my two gas struts replaced at a Jeep dealership. They were unbelievable stiff. I'm the original owner and I didn't remember them being this hard to put the rear window down. To make a long story short...I was putting the window down yesterday and it shattered into my face and arms. Lucky I wear glasses but I had three minor cuts on my hands. I called the dealership and I get the impression they don't think it's their fault
cawolle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.