Replacement bushings -poly vs rubber - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement bushings -poly vs rubber

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
cbass68
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replacement bushings -poly vs rubber

Recently bought a 97 tj and am fixing it up for my son's first car. It appears that most of the rubber bushings are worn or rotted. (151,000 mis) Thinking about a complete bushing kit. I've heard poly can squeak over time. Anyone else ever hear that? Any reason not to get it from JCW...? This jeep will mostly be a "mall crawler"...

Thanks for any help!

cbass68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
B52dude
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Poly bushings can be tough on the axle mounts, as in they will rip them off given enough flex. They can be noisy and transmit a ton of vibration. I (and most others) stick with rubber when at all possible for bushings.

EDIT: Rock Auto and Amazon always seem to have the best prices and selection.

Red Jeep Club #614
B52dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I disagree. I've had poly for a couple years (just replaced everything with Currie CAs, though). No noise, no vibrations. They never ripped off any mounts, although I really didn't do any significant offroading. I've got some gently used front stock control arms with poly bushings you can try for the cost of shipping, and a full rear CA bushing set I never quite got around to installing that you can have for cheap.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
They never ripped off any mounts, although I really didn't do any significant offroading.
If you did more offroading your results might have been different:

Some may have better luck with them, but they put a quick end to a weekend of wheeling for a friend of mine.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stick with OEM rubber (clevite).
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Stick with OEM rubber (clevite).
x2...and it's easier to replace the whole sticking arm than try to push the bushings out and new ones back in.

RockAuto usually has reasonable prices a full replacement arms with OEM style bushings included.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

x2...and it's easier to replace the whole sticking arm than try to push the bushings out and new ones back in.

RockAuto usually has reasonable prices a full replacement arms with OEM style bushings included.
Hey unlimited, if I recall you replaced your upper front axle end bushings with OEM. Would you do the same again? Ever consider doing this JJ conversion? When I installed new clevites in my RE lower arms it took a full 20 tons of force to seat them because the metal housing around the Clevite has a raised shoulder that has to collapse to fit in the arm end. Do you recall if the front upper bushings have this same raised shoulder that has to collapse for installation (thinking on the cast driver side)?
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Hey unlimited, if I recall you replaced your upper front axle end bushings with OEM. Would you do the same again? Ever consider doing this JJ conversion? When I installed new clevites in my RE lower arms it took a full 20 tons of force to seat them because the metal housing around the Clevite has a raised shoulder that has to collapse to fit in the arm end. Do you recall if the front upper bushings have this same raised shoulder that has to collapse for installation (thinking on the cast driver side)?
i did use OEM Clevite's in the front axle. stock bushings are press-fit...so you do need a press to get them in/out. it's not that anything collapses, it's an interference fit (also called press-fit). friction holds em place.

I'd do it again. I like the JJ conversion, but I ain't interested in spending that kinda money on a D30 for my purposes at this point.
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

i did use OEM Clevite's in the front axle. stock bushings are press-fit...so you do need a press to get them in/out. it's not that anything collapses, it's an interference fit (also called press-fit). friction holds em place.

I'd do it again. I like the JJ conversion, but I ain't interested in spending that kinda money on a D30 for my purposes at this point.
Cool, thanks for the reply. I have one of those harbor freight ball joint presses and have seen the pics of doing it with an all thread tool (I think the pics may have been yours). Thanks again.
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the reply. I have one of those harbor freight ball joint presses and have seen the pics of doing it with an all thread tool (I think the pics may have been yours). Thanks again.
Just make sure you're pushing it out on the metal collar of the bushing, not on the rubber. If you push on the rubber you're gonna get nowhere fast. Also, don't collapse the passenger side UCA mount, it's fragile.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce

Just make sure you're pushing it out on the metal collar of the bushing, not on the rubber. If you push on the rubber you're gonna get nowhere fast. Also, don't collapse the passenger side UCA mount, it's fragile.
Will do, already been thinking of the spacer I'm gonna make for the passenger side. Speaking I'd fragile, pushing a bushing into the sheet metal flanges just doesn't seem like a good way to make a replaceable bushing. The driver side, I never imagine that hole would ever open up, but the sheet metal flanges on the passenger side do look like they could distort if a person wasn't careful or tried to push in one too many bushings over time.
Thanks though, sorry for the thread derail.
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post

If you did more offroading your results might have been different:

Some may have better luck with them, but they put a quick end to a weekend of wheeling for a friend of mine.
True, but I bought them to fix my death wobble, and they worked well.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the sheet metal flanges on the passenger side do look like they could distort if a person wasn't careful
you have to crib the flanges with scrap metal to keep them from distorting, and clamp as necessary. a hammer helps coerce them back into position as the ball joint press tries to distort them too.

after I got the bushing out, I welded some reinforcing plates on the stock bracket to keep it from distorting or crushing in the future.
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

you have to crib the flanges with scrap metal to keep them from distorting, and clamp as necessary. a hammer helps coerce them back into position as the ball joint press tries to distort them too.

after I got the bushing out, I welded some reinforcing plates on the stock bracket to keep it from distorting or crushing in the future.
Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.