Replaced u-joint, now I get better gas mileage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced u-joint, now I get better gas mileage?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced u-joint, now I get better gas mileage?

two weeks ago i replaced my axle u-joints and both wheel bearings and now im getting better gas mileage. Does this make sense or is it just a coincidence?

khill8469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
troys96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Makes total sense.You have proper operating units now.There no drag from the bad bearings.Everything is smooth.
troys96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Bigmanboog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the new U joints and Bearings will lessen friction which. the less friction, less engine strain, equals better fuel economy. I wouldn't be surprised if your gas milage increased by a few MPG but you have to rate Jeeps in FPG( fun per gallon) verses MPG because the FPG is always higher in a Jeep
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It is amazing how much energy is consumed with vibrations.
When I first got my jeep the suspension wasn't set up well, and I had rear driveshaft vibes.
Adjusting the control arms to eliminate the vibration 'felt' like it freed up a bunch of power, and made a difference in gas mileage too.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i did it all for safty andy to get rid of a squeak that was dring me up the wall. but if i knew i would get so much better gas mileage i would of done it a long time ago.
khill8469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-joint , u joint , mpg , gas mileage , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.