Replaced starter but still won't turn over...leak from b/t tranny and TC...related? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced starter but still won't turn over...leak from b/t tranny and TC...related?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
GDM97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced starter but still won't turn over...leak from b/t tranny and TC...related?

A little background: about a month ago i started haven't problems with the jeep starting, gradually it turned so bad that i had to pump the gas to get it to crank, sometimes having to make several attempts with short breaks in between.
I ordered a MEAN GREEN starter to replace my starter because i had read alot of bad feedback about using autozone and OEM starters.

So i went on vacation for two weeks and when i came back my MEAN GREEN starter was waiting for me and i had a puddle of tranny fluid sitting under the jeep.
Now when i tried to start the jeep it wouldn't turn over at all, just click. So i just replaced the starter and still nothing, just a click. I inspected the tranny leak as best as i could and it looks like it is leaking where the tranny and the transfer case connect at.
Additionally, i found a rod broken off and laying inside the tranny mount, it looks like it connected two tabs on either side of the mount, i'm not sure how it broke or whats its purpose was.

So now i'm confused on where i should look next or what else the problem could be, i'm assuming the starting problem and tranny leak are connected but i honestly don't know. Any help, advice, or ideas that anyone could give me would be greatly appretiated.

(also the flywheel looked dry when i changed the starter, is that normal or should it be oily?)

GDM97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
mad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

fully charge your battery.check your battery terminals.pull them off and completely clean inside terminals, and clean posts.theres a good chance that you also killed it from all the attemts to crank(which burned up your starter. also make sure you hooked your wires up, and are grounded at the starter.
you obviouisly burnt up your first starter trying to crank it.
not sure about the rod you found by trans mount.the only rod comes to mind would be a shifter fork rod?
the leaks probably always been there and your just now noticing it for the first time cause it's been sitting.
mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
GDM97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the starter and battery tested, both tested out to work fine, this part seems to be electrical but i'm not sure where the next step to look at is. Could there be a problem with my distributor? Any thoughts??

On the tranny leak: I don't think the rod is a shifter rod, it looks like it fit into a hole in a tab on either side of the mount that connects the tranny to the skid plate, i have no idea what it's purpose could be, but i'm thinking if it supported the mount, and now it's broke, that might allow the tranny to droop enough to pull it apart from the TC and cause a leak, does that sound believeable?

I guess the two problems might be completely seperate and just have occured at the same time, strange coincidence if you ask me.

Any thoughts are greatly appretiated.

Unread 07-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just had a problem Sunday where my '98 TJ would not crank. It turned out to be a bad battery cable. It was corroded very bad inside the wire. The only way I found it was I bought new ends for the cables and when I cut the old ends off, I seen the piece of corroded wire. I replaced that wire and it fired up. Double check your cables, it is possible they are bad.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
mad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

could be a switch, but the clicking you mentioned kind of rules that out.imo
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
GDM97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It used to be alot of clicking and then it would start, but now it's just a single click and nothing. It's gotta be something electrical in the starting system, but i'm not sure where to look next.

Any ideas about the transmission mount?
Unread 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
mad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

replace the mount.

would seem real odd, but if you replaced starter, still doing same thing, had it checked and it's okay,again very odd, but you could be missing tooth off flywheel.
put it in 4th or 5th gear, give it a push, a couple inches to 6 inches, and try it again.

very rare though, so don't get your hopes up.
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
GDM97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it's an automatic, is there any trick to gt the flywheel to move with automatics? When i replaced the starter i looked in at the flywheel and it didn't look like any teeth were missing.

Could a bad distributor cap be causing this? What about the module that supplies/regulates the power to the distributor, i have no clue what it's called but i know it's between the battery power and the distributor, it's mounted off the passenger side of the engine.
Unread 07-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
mad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no a distributor cap wouldn't cause what you're describing.

hmm, if automatic, it's a flex plate not flywheel.

if you're getting clicking at the solenoid, it's probably okay.
there's a brake safety switch(in an automatic)that could be faulty)

you've got some weird stuff going on.after re-reading your post,i'd say the rod is a linkage rod to your gearshift selector? try moving your gearshift through the patterns of park,reverse,neutral,2nd,1st, and see how it feels.maybe have someone do it while you're under looking at linkage.
that's probably your problem.if not properly in park, your safety switch is not engaging.
that doesn't explain your leak though.
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

three separate issues

1) transmission mount needs replaced...

look here for a step by step....
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...t_tj/index.asp

2) try to jump start the jeep from another vehicle....
try jump starting directly to the starter to rule out the cables
still sounds like a bad battery or bad cables to me

3) leak between tranny and transfer case has nothing to do with either of the other two
rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
GDM97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The rod is definately the same busted one in the picture above, and it makes sense to me that it is causing the leak from between the tranny and the TC.

How do i jump start directly to the starter? I am guessing i put the negative on a ground and the positive on the big bolt on the starter?
Unread 07-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
GDM97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So i replaced the tranny mount and have not seen any new fluid leaking, so i think that issue is fixed.

I tried jumping directly to the starter but it didn't work, i'm still just getting a single click when i try to turn it over. I think since i tried jumping it directly to the starter and it didn't work than that would rule out a bad cable. Not too sure.

Honestly though i'm lost on this starting problem, i have no idea what to check next.
Unread 07-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
GDM97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone think my problem might be the ignition switch? I understand that if the ignition switch was bad i probably wouldn't hear a click when i go to start it, but i'm only getting one click, not a bunch of clicks like you normal get when it's having trouble starting.
Unread 07-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #14
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

try jumping with another vehicles battery
rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #15
03_X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

have you checked the starter fuse??
03_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.