Replaced front brake pads and ran into a problem.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
gntjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced front brake pads and ran into a problem..

Getting tired of the excessive amount of brake dust from a set of ultra cheap pads the previous owner installed on my TJ, I decided to get a ceramic set and replace. Driver side went like cake...Super easy! Passenger side went a little slower. One of the caliper bolts wasnt even tight when I was removing the caliper.. I know why now. The bolt hole that the screw screws in to is stripped...NICE... The othe bolt fits tight, but I'm not keen on this. What will I hve to replace or do to fix this.....?????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ooh that's not good, the previous guy didn't use a torque wrench because those particular bolts are only tightened to 11 ft-lbs. I'd probably try repairing the threads with a HeliCoil thread repair kit. http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm Most auto parts and tool stores sell them, I even think I saw them in my Sear tool department the last time I was there.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
gntjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will check into it.THANK YOU.
When I found this, all kinds of little ideas went through my head...One was..
"Hey George, Hmmmmm....You DO have a Torch set in your possesion...You Could get the area that includes the bolt hole hot enough to cause the cast to "melt" a little bit and deform the bolt hole a tad...Then you could retap..All would be good" Or..." Hey..3 out of 4 wheels with properly secured brakes is better than none.....Thats 75%..Not bad...You have c rated brakes..thats still passing"
It was late...What can I say...

post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Heh that was funny, I've been there too.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 AM
otisdog
2008 WK 

MrBlaine used to sell kits exactly for this but his Ebay site is gone.
Might try to PM him.
Jim

08 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
MrBlaine used to sell kits exactly for this but his Ebay site is gone.
Might try to PM him.
Jim
His wife's site sells them on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Style-Steering...sr_1_7?ie=UTF8

Friends don't let Friends run Bosch
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 AM
GzrGlide

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey gntjeep...we're both losers! I had the same thing happen last night. Ran out to 3 different stores and no one had a M8 repair kit. Missed off roading because of it today.

I did a search on this problem last night and there's some interesting information.

The kit that mrblaine sells is now on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Style-Steering...sr_1_7?ie=UTF8

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<<< ya know ya want to!
98 TJ SE
RE 4.5SF with 3.5 springs & Tera QDFTs
Super 35 & Detroit in back w/4.88s
33x10.5 BFG KM2's
Cobra 75WXST w/4' Wilson Antenna
Warn M8000
(1) Rubber Ducky
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM
otisdog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
His wife's site sells them on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Style-Steering...sr_1_7?ie=UTF8
Great !! That's what I was looking for - she used to have them on the Ebay site.
Thanks for the link.
Jim

08 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #9 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
gntjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great help.. What really peaves me off is that I have been driving around with no idea that this bolt was just hanging loose...I'm glad that this is the only repair that the previous owner had done himself since he had only had the jeep for about 6 months. You don't want someone like that doing anything to a vehicle.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's an awesome kit, I wasn't aware Blaine had it in production for that problem (well maybe in the foggy recesses of my memory) and that Kat was selling it on her website. It's bookmarked now for future use.

I had to use a tap to chase out the threads of a caliper this morning when doing an old retired friend's Rubicon brakes. Luckily it was ok afterwards or I would have been ordering Blaine's kit. One thing for sure, the new EBC Yellowstuff brake pads & Centric rotors sure made an amazing improvement in braking with his 33" tires.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's an awesome kit, I wasn't aware Blaine had it in production for that problem (well maybe in the foggy recesses of my memory) and that Kat was selling it on her website. It's bookmarked now for future use.

I had to use a tap to chase out the threads of a caliper this morning when doing an old retired friend's Rubicon brakes. Luckily it was ok afterwards or I would have been ordering Blaine's kit. One thing for sure, the new EBC Yellowstuff brake pads & Centric rotors sure made an amazing improvement in braking with his 33" tires.
this is the best part:

Quote:
WARNING:
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.

Note to self: mrblaine's kit isn't for Fisher-Price Jeeps that 3 yr olds drive.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #12 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 03:24 PM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. I only wished I knew about the kit before I bought a new knuckle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.