Replaced exhaust manifold, when started revs to max rpm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced exhaust manifold, when started revs to max rpm

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
dmp362
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced exhaust manifold, when started revs to max rpm

I replaced my exhaust manifold. After putting everything back, when I went to start it the engines rpms rev extremely high and will keep going if I let it.
I have checked for vacuum leaks there were none, replaced IAC and MAP sensor, which didn't make a difference. I have read over other threads with similar problems, but they only had responses involving vacuum leaks.
And now I am running out of ideas.

dmp362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
Heap-O-Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you have an intake leak somewhere. most likely you dont have the intake sealed against the head properly. which is a vacuum leak. double check to see if your sealed against the head or see if you possibly cracked the manifold when installing it. i changed my exhaust manifold and i had a tough time getting the manifold back on the dowel pins. pull the intake off again get a file and LIGHTLY scuff out the dowel holes on the manifold. basically pull the manifold off and double check everything you did that should reveal the issue causing the WOT condition.
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
mnstretch
1976 CJ7 

same thing happend to a friend when he rebuilt his engine. the dowel pins didnt seat all the way. he said the power steering pump was hard to line up with the intake not seated on the head.
mnstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

vaccume leak between the intake manifold and the cylinder head. spray some throttle body cleaner around the area of the gasket and if you have a leak the engine will suck in the vapor and engine speed will increase at a noticeable rate. try touquing down your intake manifold bolts again.

Tags
idle issue , idle problems , idle too high , idles rough

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.