Replaced clutch, now possible interlock problem. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced clutch, now possible interlock problem. Help!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #1
slick2570
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced clutch, now possible interlock problem. Help!

Alright, so the clutch went out on my jeep ('03 Rubicon) so i ended up replacing pretty much everything i could while i had it apart. (Pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork and flywheel) I probably didn't need to replace the flywheel, it wasn't in terrible shape, but my jeep has 150k miles so i figured it wouldn't hurt. And the clutch fork was trashed because when my clutch went out i may have forced the clutch pedal down to try and encourage it into gear so i could limp the last 2 miles home. It didn't work though, obviously. Instead it created a lot of grinding, which turned out to be the clutch fork against the clutch housing.

So fast forward to after i replaced everything: I went to start the Jeep and make sure everything was good, and all i got was a single, loud click from the starter.

My battery is less than 3 months old and reading a solid 13ish volts (even when trying to start the jeep). The terminals and cable connectors are clean. I had the starter bench tested at an auto shop, it tested fine. And lastly, i bypassed the starter cable with another battery cable i had laying around and got the same result. SO, its looking like its the clutch interlock sensor, or whatever that thing is..

My main concern is that the clutch pedal seems REALLY light after replacing the clutch. Like, almost non-existent. As if the slave cylinder rod isn't pushing against the clutch fork or something. But i was very careful to make sure it was seated properly in the fork. So i don't know what it could be. Replacing the interlock wouldn't give me any added resistance or anything, right? Isn't it just a sensor to make sure the clutch is engaged?

Does the clutch interlock monitor stuff within the tranny itself, or just the actual clutch pedal? Like, if the clutch weren't properly engaging within the transmission itself, would the interlock system pick up on that somehow?

I've looked up as many threads about the interlock that i could, but none really answered all of my questions. So if you guys could offer up some opinions/advice/help, it would really be appreciated! Thanks

-Eric

Unread Today, 03:20 AM   #2
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You can bypass the clutch interlock by inserting a 10a fuse in the #20 slot...

Try that...

Did you reinstall all of your electrical connectors and the CPS on the bellhousing?

Maybe ur clutch master/slave blew when your clutch let go?
Unread Today, 04:34 AM   #3
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What got me is that the starter clicked loudly when the key was turned. That wouldn't happen if it was just the interlock. Pull your battery cables and wire brush the connections, it might have a connection issue keeping it from getting the amps it needs.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:15 PM   #4
slick2570
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The battery terminals and cables are super clean. I will double check all the sensors and plugs around the bell housing, hopefully that's all it is. I'll also try adding the fuse to see if bypassing it works. What are the symptoms of a broken slave cylinder and how do I check to see if it's bad for sure? Can I just remove it from the bell housing and push the clutch pedal in to make sure the piston is moving, or what? Thanks for the help! -Eric
Unread Today, 03:37 PM   #5
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Starter gear not meshing properly with new fly wheel? Did you remove the starter to replace the flywheel? It may have hit the gear and locked up.
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:42 PM   #6
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A bad clutch master or slave will have no pressure when you depressed the clutch pedal...

I would not cycle the clutch pedal with the slave pulled from the bell housing as you are likely to damage the slave if its not already broken...the master/slave is a closed system that rarely need tampering with but when the slave is out of the bell housing depressing the clutch pedal forces the slave arm forward under pressure. With nothing to retain the slave arm the assembly can fall apart. I have never tire this and have been was against it. So take it for what it is.

Start with the easy and cheap...the interlock fuse is pennies vs a new master/slave assembly and will tell you volumes. If it doesnt start after bypass the clutch then something else is wrong (CPS). If it starts after bypass then id bet your clutch master/slave is bad and is not engaging the interlock.
Unread Today, 07:58 PM   #7
slick2570
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did replace the flywheel, but the starter isn't engaging at all. Its not like it is stuck or anything, it doesn't even try to spin, all it does is click. The bad clutch master or slave sounds like it matches all of the symptoms i'm having. I'll start trying to narrow that down. Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it!
Unread Today, 08:14 PM   #8
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A bad clutch master or slave will not cause your Jeep not to start.

If you bypass the clutch safety switch under the dash on the pedal, or put the fuse in to bypass it, your Jeep will start up in gear and start moving without using the clutch at all. That's why there is a clutch override fuse. In 4LO you can start and stop the Jeep simply by turning the key on and off with it in gear.

My '06 Rubicon automatically bypasses the clutch switch when you put it in 4LO, but I don't think it worked that way on the '03s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.