Replaced Brake Booster - now brake lights stay on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced Brake Booster - now brake lights stay on

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Viking

Replaced Brake Booster - now brake lights stay on

I finally tracked down my soft brakes and wandering idle to a brake booster leak. I replaced the booster and the master cylinder, trying to adjust the booster rod as best I could. The idle is smooth as could be now, the brakes are strong, but the brake lights now stay on. I've pulled the switch and it looks fine, it just looks like the brake pedal is staying down about 1/4" at the pedal, so it just doesn't quite press the switch far enough to turn off the lights.

Any ideas? Could this be related to the adjustable booster rod, and if it is, should I make the rod longer or shorter?? There doesn't seem to be any adjustment to the brake light switch (other than a little dab of epoxy on the top of the plunger to make it a little longer - my last option).

Thanks in advance!

Viking

31" Tires, 3.73 Gears
Rock Hard rear bar mounted low behind
rear seat for urban defense of my kids
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
rhinoss

Did you replace the booster with a stock vacuum booster?
You mention the adjustable booster rod, I'm sure that would be it. It's been a while since I've been under the dash, although I think you'll need to lengthen the adustment if you're looking to bring the pedal closer to you.

The brake switch is a very touchy, if it's barely off position at all, your brake lights will either be on all the time or never on at all.
[b][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]4.5" RE Superflex[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]RE 3.5 springs[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]Adj front/rear track bars[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]RE Gen 2 Disco's[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]MORE 1" MM[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]RE 1" TC drop[b][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/b]Jeeperman Trail Skidz[b][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/b]Warn rear / Bobbed stock front bumper[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]33x10 BFG AT's[b][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/b]
[b][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/b]Kenwood KDC-MP5028[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]iPod interface[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]Excelon 4x6[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]Excelon 6"[B][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/B]
[b][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/b]Stuffed Chicken riding shotgun[b][COLOR=Sienna]|[/COLOR][/b][/SIZE]

Last edited by rhinoss; 07-29-2005 at 10:45 PM..
rhinoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The brake switch has an adjustable plunger on it so that it can be adjusted for just this problem. If I remember correctly, the write-up on my hydroboost describes how this is done.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Vancopbs

Get a pair of wire cutters. Push the brake pedal down, using the wire cutters pull the brake light switch (the tab) all the way out. Let go of the brake pedal, it's self adjusting.
South Gate, Ca 90280
800-256-6295
323-563-1588
Vancopbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.