Replace Winch Hook with Bow Shackle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace Winch Hook with Bow Shackle?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 06-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Replace Winch Hook with Bow Shackle?

There's been a decent amount of talk about safer recovery techniques lately, so I was looking at my setup and thinking a bit. I have a Chinese 9,000 lb winch with a steel cable.

Is there any safety reason that I could not remove the hook that came with my winch and use a bow shackle in its place?

Such a setup reduces my points of attachment by one, and most of the time I end up with a shackle at the end of the winch line anyway to link up the ends of the tree saver.

Just to be clear, take this off:

Put one of these in its' place:

Bonus points: Would it matter if I upgraded to a synthetic winch line later?

hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is what you want to replace the hook with: http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/je...y_thimble.html
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^ Yes I do, however the safety thimble I saw with steel cable looked pretty janky, and I have other budget priorities more important than synthetic rope right now.
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
^ Yes I do, however the safety thimble I saw with steel cable looked pretty janky, and I have other budget priorities more important than synthetic rope right now.
synthetic rope is not just a priority, its a safety issue. have you ever seen cable brake? its not something you wanna be close too. i will never run a winch again without synthetic line. if you call up masterpull on pirate they will give you 100 ft of 3/8s for 190 bucks with a hook and thimble. considering how dangerous cable is, i'd say spending 190 bucks is a good investment of your money.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905
Is there any safety reason that I could not remove the hook that came with my winch and use a bow shackle in its place?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905
Would it matter if I upgraded to a synthetic winch line later?
Not sure what you're asking here. Whether or not you replace the hook with a shackle will have no bearing on a switch to syn. later.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
synthetic rope is not just a priority, its a safety issue.
My cable is in good shape - no kinks, no loose strands, no reason to suspect it for failure. When I feel there is a good reason to replace it I will with a rope.
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Not sure what you're asking here. Whether or not you replace the hook with a shackle will have no bearing on a switch to syn. later.
Yes, my question was not so clear.

I was asking about running a synthetic line with the eye running right on a bow shackle, skipping the hook or safety thimble altogether. Is there a minimum bend radius you need for a thimble eye to stay at max strength?
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
Yes, my question was not so clear.

I was asking about running a synthetic line with the eye running right on a bow shackle, skipping the hook or safety thimble altogether. Is there a minimum bend radius you need for a thimble eye to stay at max strength?
Absolute minimum diameter of connecting hardware is 3x rope diameter.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
tators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I always used a shackle with my winch line... That way when its hooked, its hooked, your not relying on a cheap catch to keep the hook from coming loose when you get slack in the cable during a hard winch-assist situation...
tators is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have this:

http://www.factor55.com/

with syn rope... it is awesome!

a little pricey but it bolts on to your existing winch line.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
1999TJRED85000

Reducing "points of attachment" is mostly irrelevant when rigging unless you're doing something really wierd or crazy heavy. What is more important is that whatever you use (especially with a flat tow strap or synthetic cable) has no corners or sharp edges that would intensify the pressure applied at that point. Also, always assume that the weakest point in your setup is the maximum PEAK amount of pressure that can be applied. Think of "peak" as like when stereo people rate a speaker at "peak 600 watts" but it's really just a 50 watt speaker that hits 600 watts for a millisecond every now and then. If you have a 5000 lb rated strap, you don't want to pull a 5000 lb weight with it.

I wouldn;t stress about hook vs. shackle. Just make sure whatever you use is in good working condition.
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 View Post
Reducing "points of attachment" is mostly irrelevant when rigging unless you're doing something really wierd or crazy heavy. What is more important is that whatever you use (especially with a flat tow strap or synthetic cable) has no corners or sharp edges that would intensify the pressure applied at that point. Also, always assume that the weakest point in your setup is the maximum PEAK amount of pressure that can be applied. Think of "peak" as like when stereo people rate a speaker at "peak 600 watts" but it's really just a 50 watt speaker that hits 600 watts for a millisecond every now and then. If you have a 5000 lb rated strap, you don't want to pull a 5000 lb weight with it.

I wouldn't stress about hook vs. shackle. Just make sure whatever you use is in good working condition.
Your analogy is slightly off.
Think of lifting and pulling device working load limits as the rms rating of a speaker. The peak rating isn't advertised and it's called the safety factor. Which is generally a minimum of 1.25-1.5x wll.

Offroaders use shackles that are way beyond what they need for any pull anyway.you could haul your rig all over hells' half acre with a 3/8 shackle...

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #13
1999TJRED85000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Your analogy is slightly off.
Think of lifting and pulling device working load limits as the rms rating of a speaker. The peak rating isn't advertised and it's called the safety factor. Which is generally a minimum of 1.25-1.5x wll.

Offroaders use shackles that are way beyond what they need for any pull anyway.you could haul your rig all over hells' half acre with a 3/8 shackle...
Are you on crack?

I think you're a little off. The shell on a turtle is thicker by a factor of 1.6783 while compared to the speed of a Puma, when chasing a rabbit. Therefore, if you hit a nail with a 4 lb. hammer, the thickness of the wood needs to be 4, and your grip should be on your lower regions.
Unread 06-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
b_a_mech

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000

Are you on crack?

I think you're a little off. The shell on a turtle is thicker by a factor of 1.6783 while compared to the speed of a Puma, when chasing a rabbit. Therefore, if you hit a nail with a 4 lb. hammer, the thickness of the wood needs to be 4, and your grip should be on your lower regions.
Now that's funny! ROTFL
BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 View Post
Are you on crack?

LMAO thank you for the morning laugh

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.