Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Replace Turn-signal switch stem?

707 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SeanCucf 
#1 ·
Recently, the fog/driving light switch on the end of the turn signal stem started staying on all the time [06 Wrangler]. Pushing on end of switch will shut off lights but they come back on if I release pressure on switch. See replacement stem available from QuadraTec for about $90 but was concerned about effort required to disassemble steering column and replace the stem. Has anyone done this? Of course other option is to install after market switch and light circuit but fog light indicator on instrument panel stays on--no biggie

#2 ·
I think I pulled the fuse or relay on mine to take care of the light on the dash. I then rewired the lights but have since moved on to small light bar on the bumper.

#3 ·
It's really easy. I forget how many screws, but it's like 4 or so. Take the plastic shroud off behind the wheel. Unscrew the switch body and unplug it. Don't forget to re-use the flasher, as new combination switches don't usually come with them.

Edit: pretty sure I picked one up for far less than $90 from autozone or advanced, too

#5 ·
Yeah, sorry. Just pulled the receipt and I paid $57 back in 2012 from Autozone. Looks like they've gone way up, though.

Either way, it's quite the simple job. Plug and play. WAAAAAY easier than installing a new set of aftermarket switches, running wires, finding grounds, locating switched 12v sources, messing with firewall grommets and underhood wire management, external fuses and relays, etc....

#6 ·
Sean--again, thanks for the info on replacing the stem--appreciate the encouragement on doing the replacement--found the stem at Autozone for $71--probably not a bad price to restore the OEM fog lights--not really into all the LED stuff.

#8 ·
Not to beat a dead horse with this thread, but I do enjoy the irony; I haven't been on JF in years and after seeing your thread it reminded me to replace my ignition switch.

In the process I had to remove the headlight/combination switch.

You need a Philips head for the 2 screws on the bottom holding the plastic shroud around the column and a t-20 torx (at least on my 02) for the screws holding the switch on. Two wiring harnesses and that's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.