replace thermostat in a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replace thermostat in a TJ

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 03-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

replace thermostat in a TJ

Any secrets here? It's just 2 bolts, a new thermostat, and a gasket right?
I will spread a little RTV on the gasket. Anything else?

Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

U got it,oh antifreeze will come out.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got it. I have a little to top it off. Thanks.
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528892
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Replacement write-up

Here is a basic set of unoffical instructions for replacing your thermostat.

What you need:
1/2" standard socket and ratchet wrench
1/2" deep well socket or socket extension
RTV sealant
New 195 degree thermostat (Auto Zone #15359 for $8)
New gasket (Auto Zone #35630 for $3)
Gasket scraper or putty knife
Rag
Bucket
1/2 gallon of engine coolant (50/50 mix)

This is a thermostat and its gasket.

...more to come...

Last edited by dogbluedrummer; 03-16-2008 at 02:46 PM..
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Step 1

Place a bucket under your jeep, right in the midde and a little behind the radiator.

Locate the thermostat housing, it is the metal thingy where the 2 hoses connect, right behind the fan blade.

Unhook the large radiator hose. This will give you a little more room and flexibility.

There are 2 bolts, one in the front center, and the other at the 7 o'clock position. That will be a little tight as the serpentine belt runs right next to it. Unbolt both of them. Coolant will drain out! Adjust bucket as necessary.

Swing up the manifold and scrape off the old gasket.

Make it pretty!

Pull out the old thermostat.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are half way done!

...more to come...
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oops....a little more work. Scrape the old gasket off the big hole down there. Also, the thermostat rests on a little recessed ledge. Can you feel it? Yep, wipe all that old gunk out of it.

Back to the manifold. Smear some RTV on the gasket.....both sides!!

All right! You're doing great. Grab the new thermostat and put it in. Careful. Line it up.

Great! Now put the manifold back over it and bolt it down. Top off your radiator with the 50/50 mix.

YOU ARE DONE!
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm no fan of RTV for this particular job, I'm one of those that believes a standard paper gasket is the way to go for the thermostat housing.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Where were you an hour ago..................?
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One more thing... if your thermostat comes with a small hole in the flat flange, that is there to help "burp" the cooling system free of bubbles. Orient the thermostat so that hole is at the very top. It's also cool to drill a small hole like 1/16" for the same purpose.

Sorry on not being here an hour ago, I was outside fighting with a defective high pressure washer.

Unread 03-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay. Since my new thermostat did not come with a hole....... I have to ask.....do I need to do this job all over? I could wipe off the RTV while I'm at it.....
Unread 03-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No need to undo it just because of the RTV, it should be fine as is.

Unread 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
catnip1970

I love the search function on this site. I've found almost all the answers I've needed without having to start another thread. Thanks, guys. Ya'll are the best.
catnip1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for a great write up - just did mine today
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I also do not use or find rtv necessary. However, this is a good write up. I'm sure many people will find it useful.
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I feel all warm and fuzzy.
Nevermind, it's just my blanket.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.