Replace stock CA bushings or buy new arms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace stock CA bushings or buy new arms?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Replace stock CA bushings or buy new arms?

Installed my trackbar over the weekend with a JKS adjustable. Been fighting a DW condition for a while now and I wanted to get my front axle centered anyways so decided to start with the TB. While I was under there I checked the normal stuff. took a pry bar and checked ball joints, all good. Checked tie rod ends, good. Put it in the air and check wheel bearings, tight. Took a pry bar to the lower CA's. Holy Cr**! Lots of slop! Uppers were not quite as bad. Lowers definetely need replaced. My question is...Is it worth the effort to replace the stock CA bushings, or would I be better off getting some Currie's?
I also had the front tires balanced, and still not totally sure the shop took the time to balance them perfectly, so I think my tires may still have a factor. After installing the new TB, my DW turned into a shimmy at 50mph. No DW but definetely a shimmy in the steering wheel at 50. I think if I replace the lower CA's and find a shop that can balance the front tires to 0 I think I may beat this thing.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Installed my trackbar over the weekend with a JKS adjustable. Been fighting a DW condition for a while now and I wanted to get my front axle centered anyways so decided to start with the TB. While I was under there I checked the normal stuff. took a pry bar and checked ball joints, all good. Checked tie rod ends, good. Put it in the air and check wheel bearings, tight. Took a pry bar to the lower CA's. Holy Cr**! Lots of slop! Uppers were not quite as bad. Lowers definetely need replaced. My question is...Is it worth the effort to replace the stock CA bushings, or would I be better off getting some Currie's?
I also had the front tires balanced, and still not totally sure the shop took the time to balance them perfectly, so I think my tires may still have a factor. After installing the new TB, my DW turned into a shimmy at 50mph. No DW but definetely a shimmy in the steering wheel at 50. I think if I replace the lower CA's and find a shop that can balance the front tires to 0 I think I may beat this thing.
It all depends on your budget. If youre tight for money, take a look in the for sale section. People are always trying to get rid of stock parts. You should be able to pick up a used set of front lowers for like $20. If youre looking to upgrade, absolutely go with Currie or another brand of choice. I always look to upgrade when a stock part takes a poop. But I make sure I have the budget for it.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hear ya! Unfortunately, the budget is tight, But I'm looking at the big picture. You know what it's like! You buy an upgrade, and you can't wait to buy the next upgrade! I think I'm getting close to solving my DW problem, and I guess I just wanted to hear someone say, " you know what to do" ! By the time I pull the factory CA's, buy new bushings, press them out, press new ones in and still have no adjustability to adjust caster! Think I know what to do.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Control arm , bushings , replace , movement , slop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.