Replace RE Bushings in 4.5 SF or buy Currie Short Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace RE Bushings in 4.5 SF or buy Currie Short Arms

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Replace RE Bushings in 4.5 SF or buy Currie Short Arms

About 2 years ago I purchased and installed a RE 4.5 SF kit. After 4,xxx miles the bushings went bad. RE will replace them for free if I can find who I bought the kit through. My credit card I bought it with is out of business, so I cannot search the records. I bought so much stuff I cannot remember where I purchased it from.

So, has anyone used and abused the new bushings to know if they last? It would cost about $100.00 to get new ones. OR I need to pony up and buy the currie arms. I do not know how much the arms would cost, but I would guess alot more than the bushings...

Anyone with experience.

The easy answer is buy the currie arms, but is it worth the dollars? Any vendor with a deal on either please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for any help.

Unread 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The new bushings are doing fine on my lift. Tallk to Mike at RE. See if he can hook you up with the new bushings. Curries are about $900.

If you have adj lowers you could also put the flex ends on in place of the bushings. Takes about 5 minutes.

RE3767 - LARGE S/F COUPLER ASSEMBLY - Rubicon Express

Glockster's Rubihara Build

Last edited by glockster; 10-06-2009 at 05:37 PM..
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Tom Hartz
1967 CJ5 

[QUOTE=glockster;8048668]The new bushings are doing fine on my lift. Tallk to Mike at RE. See if he can hook you up with the new bushings.

This is what I did with my son's Cherokee. Mike took care of us, and the new bushings are made of a different rubber. The install was easy. The bushings are holding up great.

Tom
Tom Hartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

go currie the RE bushings are crap you end up replacing them again
jeepy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepy01 View Post
go currie the RE bushings are crap you end up replacing them again
I put the new bushings in mine and they have been holding up great i drive mine 700 miles a week. even sat for a month when i hit a horse. stressed the front bushing by the axle mount being bent on the drivers lower. removed axle inspected bushings and they were fine put new axle in and be running her since
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
The new bushings are doing fine on my lift. Tallk to Mike at RE. See if he can hook you up with the new bushings. Curries are about $900.

If you have adj lowers you could also put the flex ends on in place of the bushings.

RE3767 - LARGE S/F COUPLER ASSEMBLY - Rubicon Express
[quote=Tom Hartz;8048762]
Quote:

This is what I did with my son's Cherokee. Mike took care of us, and the new bushings are made of a different rubber. The install was easy. The bushings are holding up great.

Tom
See next post.

Last edited by ISurvivedNMU; 10-05-2009 at 02:30 PM..
ISurvivedNMU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I talked with Mike and the bushings from 2006 are not warrantied. Seems odd since mine are so bad in 4,000 miles. But... He did offer to try to help if I send pictures. But my fear is that, according to Mike, I have a good quality rubber end. If that is the case and they get bad in a short time, I need to make a more permanent change.

$900.00 for short arms seems high. I think I could get a long arm upgrade for $1,600? Maybe I need to look at that. I just have avoided it because I do not want a loud exhaust. I like the stock sound......
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU View Post
Well, I talked with Mike and the bushings from 2006 are not warrantied. Seems odd since mine are so bad in 4,000 miles. But... He did offer to try to help if I send pictures. But my fear is that, according to Mike, I have a good quality rubber end. If that is the case and they get bad in a short time, I need to make a more permanent change.

$900.00 for short arms seems high. I think I could get a long arm upgrade for $1,600? Maybe I need to look at that. I just have avoided it because I do not want a loud exhaust. I like the stock sound......
Do you need all of the arms or just the lowers? $900 is list PM me if you are interested in just the lowers or all of them.

Gerald

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

my RE bushing went out after about 4 wheelin trips
jeepy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How old is your lift?

The new style bushings started shipping 3-4 months ago. They are completely different. Entirely new rubber compound and now manufactured in the states instead of sourced from overseas.

As you've read here, they are no longer an issue. If your bushings are the new ones and have failed, you need to call RE, they would very much like to hear from you. They have had no issues with the new ones.

As I've posted before, the new are distinguished by the 4 injection mold marks.

Unread 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU View Post

As much as I love my RE lift, the longarm upgrade is waiting in the wings for me. It lists at around 2k, can probably be had for a little less. I'll stick with the 3.5" springs and likely go to 35's. Utilizing the metal cloak fenders for the additional clearance needed. That's a ways down the road though.

Unread 10-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How old is your lift?

The new style bushings started shipping 3-4 months ago. They are completely different. Entirely new rubber compound and now manufactured in the states instead of sourced from overseas.

As you've read here, they are no longer an issue. If your bushings are the new ones and have failed, you need to call RE, they would very much like to hear from you. They have had no issues with the new ones.

As I've posted before, the new are distinguished by the 4 injection mold marks.

My bushings are from 2006. My jeep has been a show rig for a year and a weekend ride for a year. It was also stored for a year. So everything looks new. I have a buddy with an extra set of new bushings So I am going to buy the Currie arms and sell the RE arms. I am going to MOAB in the spring and I have some cash for upgrades burning a hole in my pocket.
Unread 10-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
DevEmp
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I got tired of giving my money to RE so I could keep testing their bushings and have them fail so quickly... so I cut off the bushing end of the rear uppers last weekend and welded on some 2" Johnny Joints. As soon as my 2.5" inch joints show up I'll be doing the same to the rear lowers. The opposite ends of the control arms with the RE Superflex joints seem to be doing ok. If you've got a welder and a decent tubing notcher it's quite easy to remove the bushing end and burn on a new Johnny Joint.
DevEmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow and Rubicon Express is supposed to be one of the best lifts according to jeep forum. You could also look into Clayton Offroad control arms.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevEmp View Post
I got tired of giving my money to RE so I could keep testing their bushings and have them fail so quickly... so I cut off the bushing end of the rear uppers last weekend and welded on some 2" Johnny Joints. As soon as my 2.5" inch joints show up I'll be doing the same to the rear lowers. The opposite ends of the control arms with the RE Superflex joints seem to be doing ok. If you've got a welder and a decent tubing notcher it's quite easy to remove the bushing end and burn on a new Johnny Joint.

I thought about that. The reason I am not going that way might be flawed, but.... I think I can sell my RE control arms and buy new currie arms and only have a few hundered intot he project. I will end up with better joints at both ends and also have thicker and stronger arms.

I might not get much for the RE arms though......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.