Replace Fuel Pump or Fuel Pump/Sending Unit assembly? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace Fuel Pump or Fuel Pump/Sending Unit assembly?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Muratus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replace Fuel Pump or Fuel Pump/Sending Unit assembly?

Hey all,

My fuel pump on my 4 banger is going out. I know it's the fuel pump just by the way it's acting, I went through 4 fuel pumps last year in my Blazer, and the Jeep is doing the exact same thing.

I've been surfing the net looking for a new fuel pump so I can just replace it myself. What I've been seeing mostly just the actual pump to be replaced in my sending unit, instead of the full fuel pump / sending unit assembly which was the only option in my Blazer.

Getting just the fuel pump is much cheaper then the full assembly. So I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has any experience in replacing just the actual pump? pro's / con's of either would be greatly appreatiated.

I should mention that my gas gauge doesn't work either. When I got my Jeep it would always show that tank was full, until I smacked it on a rock. After that it's always showed the tank was empty. So I imagine I'll need to replace that float at the same time.

My poor Jeep has been out of commission for a week now, I'd really like to get the parts ordered and get him back on the road.

Muratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
little4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go for broke and do it all at once if it were me...but there is always time to do it a second time when there wasn't time to do it right the first.
00 tj Old man emu susp. 1" bl 285x75 Procomp Xterrain's warn x8000i in an ARB fnt bumper custom rear with tire carrier, high lift jack locked in fnt and LSD in the rear, sway bar disconnect, steering engine and fuel tank skids, 4L engine, 5 speed tranny, 4.10s and a few other things.
little4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
jeff83
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a perfectly good pump and assembly if you want to buy it off me pretty cheap. It needs the filter but that is all and if your filter is good then this will do it for you PM me for details. The only reason i took it out is because i installed a fuel cell.
1999 XJ Classic (daily driver)
1997 TJ Sport (building)
jeff83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Muratus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little4x4 View Post
I'd go for broke and do it all at once if it were me...but there is always time to do it a second time when there wasn't time to do it right the first.
True, but buying the parts and rebuilding myself could save a couple hundred bucks. The full assembly is 300+ where the new pump, filter & floater can be purchased for 100 to 150.

So anyone else go the rebuild route on their fuel pumps?
Muratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
little4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know but, i work in a shop and i have done "just pumps" before and you say your sending unit is out but there are things like the check valve in the sending unit that go out as well. This is when you got to cycle the key a time or two to buld the fuel pressure back up so you can start the engine and once you get into it if you can not fix the problem with the sending unit and have to get more parts then more time down. I have seen times where the pump only kits the pumps don't last as long so you may have to do the job more than once (cheap aftermarket partsare not as good as OEM most or the time) just my two pennys any way.
00 tj Old man emu susp. 1" bl 285x75 Procomp Xterrain's warn x8000i in an ARB fnt bumper custom rear with tire carrier, high lift jack locked in fnt and LSD in the rear, sway bar disconnect, steering engine and fuel tank skids, 4L engine, 5 speed tranny, 4.10s and a few other things.
little4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
joe130
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a complete fuel sending unit (200 miles on it) on eBay right now that is currently going for $10. Just go to ebay and search for jeep wrangler fuel sending unit.
The swap is pretty easy, just a little time consuming. Lots of writeups out there for it.
joe130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
richupnorth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this video on how to drop the tank... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GtgB1sSEmQ

By the way, I thought my fuel module was out last month, but it turned out to be the wiring harness. It split somehow. The outer plastic was holding it together until I touched it and it separated. Dang squirrel!
richupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2005 TJ Wrangler, what type of Fuel cell ? Like to generate electricity ? I have never heard of that before. Or is that some terminoligy for something very common in a Jeep ? I am curious.
Unread 12-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
bgkramer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Possible fuel pump problem, too?

My 98 4-cyl TJ, with fresh full ignition tuneup, runs perfectly but always fails to start on first crank. After a 1- or 2-second crank, it will almost always start on the SECOND crank attempt. I have suspected the most obvious: a fuel injection problem. But, following this post, it seems a fuel pump problem may be the cause. Two pints of Sea Foam injector cleaner have not helped.
bgkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Islander View Post
2005 TJ Wrangler, what type of Fuel cell ? Like to generate electricity ? I have never heard of that before. Or is that some terminoligy for something very common in a Jeep ? I am curious.
AKA the gas tank...
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Tre3
1997 ZJ 

"have suspected the most obvious: a fuel injection problem. But, following this post, it seems a fuel pump problem may be the cause. Two pints of Sea Foam injector cleaner have not helped."

In my 97 i suspected the same thing, but after moving the wire by the fuel pump a little bit it started to turn over right away, its a black wire in front of the fuel pump. I just did it last night and its starting up better then ever now. ( i believe its the relay wire but not completly sure.)
Tre3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.