repaint bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > repaint bumper

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
defleppardsg
1999 TJ Wrangler 

repaint bumper

I dont know why but my stock front bumper started to rust all of a sudden and now has a nice shade off orange that makes the jeep look awesome...

Im gonna clean it up and repaint it cheaply at home, I just wanted to know if anyone knows what kind/finish of spray paint is a close match to the stock look, or at least a close match to the black rubber/plastic parts around the bumper. thanks

defleppardsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've painted parts of my rear bumper due to rust. I like the look of Rustoleum semi gloss black. I think it's nearly close to stock. It doesn't look bad at all. It matches the frame rails.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

For the front bumper, I'd use the Duplicolor aerosol bedliner. About 10 bucks a can. It will closely match the semigloss factory finish and resist rock chips 100 times better than paint. You can vary the texture based on how wet and how far away you apply it.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Texas Crew'd
1973 CJ5 

I do the opposite, I use the cheapo bright touch black from Auto Zone at $2.49 a can. They've been making it for years and I never have to worry about a color match or what I used last time. As it chips, scratches fades etc just a light sand and repaint again.

Garry
Texas Crew'd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
bruker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've used Black Rust-Oleum Hammered spray paint and it looks pretty good.
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Therou

When I painted my flares with krylon fusion, I just gave the bumpers a couple coats as well. Looks just like new.
Green Jeep Club Member #190
NGJC #8
Canadian Jeep Club Member #15
Stock Jeep Member #55
www.therou.ca
Therou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
BDuece

Here is a close up of my bumper painted with Duplicolor truck bedliner. Works great! It goes on thick and hides a lot of imperfections on the bumper. It's about $7 a can, but it last.

http://www.thisisforthesoldiers.org
BDuece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
defleppardsg
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nice, a lot of good ideas, ill probably get to it soon. thanks guys
defleppardsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.