Removing stripped Torx bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing stripped Torx bolts

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
voigtrobert

Removing stripped Torx bolts

Seeing all the posts about Torx bolts and our woes with them, I thought I'd post a method of removing stripped ones that I stumbled on by accident after I stripped a couple of mine. But first: after I stripped mine, I tried an Easy Out [not!], as it promptly broke as soon as I tried to turn it. Since I have no personal acquaintance who welds, I went to two shops to have a nut welded on the bolts: one place wanted $50, and the other place was afraid he'd mess up the paint and refused to do it--said try a body shop, and come back to him as a last resort.

So I tried something I had never seen suggested here before. Using a Dremel, I cut a groove near the edge of the Torx at about the 9 o'clock postion. I made the groove big enough to accept a nailset solidly. Then I beat on the nailset with a hammer and after 10 or so sharp raps with the hammer, the Torx started to turn. I got both stripped Torx out by this method. On reflection, I could have used a drill instead of the Dremel to make the hole or groove in which to place the point of the nailset. If you use this method, be sure the groove is deep and big enough so that the nailset does not slip, and be very careful if you're working near any glass.

This was all after trying PB Blaster AND heat with a propane torch to get the darned things out in the first place. Also while using the Easy Out, I used heat from the propane torch. After finally getting them out, I noted some very obvious corrosion on about the top 1/4" of the threads and that was what had frozen them into place.

Unread 02-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
ThatGuysTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

THANX
Unread 02-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
bluehdmc

I've used drills to get them out. Actually had a tailgate hinge bolt that stripped and when I drilled the head off it screwed into the tailgate. I'd recommend a left handed drill for the next time. It's recommended to drill all the way through a broken bolt before using an easy out. This relieves pressure on the threads.
White Jeep Club #53
1999 Harley Road King
2006 BMW R1200RT
bluehdmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.