Remove Hardtop Glass to Repaint Hardtop?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remove Hardtop Glass to Repaint Hardtop??

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Remove Hardtop Glass to Repaint Hardtop??

I am planning on repainting the hard top on my '01 TJ. Should I remove the glass from the top?

How do you remove the glass? Also, can you remove that weird vent thing? What the hell is the purpose of it anyway..

nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I'd mask off the glass. Remove the vents. They are there to help relieve air pressure, so you can shut your doors with the windows up.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibblesupreme View Post
I am planning on repainting the hard top on my '01 TJ. Should I remove the glass from the top?

How do you remove the glass? Also, can you remove that weird vent thing? What the hell is the purpose of it anyway..
the purpose of the vents is exactly that to vent... the vents also allow free air flow so when you shut your doors the vehicle has a way to release air.

you do not need to take out the glass to paint it... just tape some newspaper over them... there is a good write up somewhere... i will see if i can find it.
greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
greta
2004 WJ 

here you go...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...rd-top-742127/

it is for a yj but the principles remain the same.
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is a tape you can get at a auto paint store the has a stiff edge. You put the edge under the rubber and pull the rubber up, then stick the other edge to the glass. This makes it so you can get paint under the rubber without leaving a edge of paint next to the rubber.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mask off the vents. You will probably break them and its a PITA fo glue them again or buy new ones.
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
greta
2004 WJ 

also, whenever you paint it, if you do get some spray over just keep some acetone or finger nail polish remover handy, dab some on a tee shirt and wipe the spray over and it will come right off (as long as you do it quick enough).
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Mask off the vents. You will probably break them and its a PITA fo glue them again or buy new ones.
x2
10char
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Also paint it off the Jeep. Some people might not and wonder why they have paint everywhere.
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Also paint it off the Jeep. Some people might not and wonder why they have paint everywhere.
unless you painted your jeeps body with krylon fusion also
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I painted mine. It is easy enough to run tape (blue painters tape) around the edges of the rubber. To cover the glass, I used 8 1/2 x 11 paper sheets (or obviously you can use masking paper or news paper). Put a sheet up to the edge of the rubber and glass and trace the shape of the curve and cut out the paper to match to get the rough outline then seal it with the tape going around the edge. In many places the paper slid between the glass and rubber. All you will need is a few more sheets to cover the middle.

There are a number of tips floating around or that I can give but speaking of the windows. Make sure you spray the recess around the window first to get solid coverage. I did not and some of it was ontop of overspray so I did have some small areas flake off arund the window but it has been easy enough to touch up. I also did the interior to get rid of the ugly non matching white.

The question of actual glass removal has been asked and it is involved to to remove and redo the seal plus you risk damage or breakage.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
I painted mine. It is easy enough to run tape (blue painters tape) around the edges of the rubber. To cover the glass, I used 8 1/2 x 11 paper sheets (or obviously you can use masking paper or news paper). Put a sheet up to the edge of the rubber and glass and trace the shape of the curve and cut out the paper to match to get the rough outline then seal it with the tape going around the edge. In many places the paper slid between the glass and rubber. All you will need is a few more sheets to cover the middle.

There are a number of tips floating around or that I can give but speaking of the windows. Make sure you spray the recess around the window first to get solid coverage. I did not and some of it was ontop of overspray so I did have some small areas flake off arund the window but it has been easy enough to touch up. I also did the interior to get rid of the ugly non matching white.

The question of actual glass removal has been asked and it is involved to to remove and redo the seal plus you risk damage or breakage.
The recess? Sorry this is my first rodeo. How do you suggest i position my hardtop when I do this? I was thinking about setting it on a couple of saw horses..
nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

(Recess) around the rubber seal on the outside, there is a depression. You have to get a good coat in there. Just look at it. You will see.

I had mine on a board supported by saw horces. I took the back glass off, removed the rubber seal and masked off the opening with tape and newspaper to keep over spray from the interior. (I had pained the interior fist). I also masked and enclosed the front door - door opening
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.