Remove a body lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remove a body lift?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
bhjohnston
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Remove a body lift?

I am sure that this has been addressed many times in the past, but I'll put it in again and maybe someone can direct me to the most appropriate thread!
I helped my son buy a '98 TJ back when it was new, and he gave it to me this Father's Day!! He had installed a 4" Trailmaster suspension lift and a 3" body lift. Sits way to high, so I, at least, want to change the body lift, I think. Tires are 33x12.5, but I don't want to put the money into it to replace those tires (at this time; they have almost the original tread). Can I go back to the OE body height with that suspension and those tires? If so, where can I get a kit with the original body cushions and all of the items that went with them? I have looked into several lift kits, and the 1" kits come with all of the parts, but the OE kits just seem to have the 'rubber'. Thanks for any suggestions. BHJohnston 26JUN2013

bhjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You'll have plenty of room for 33s either way.All your original rubber mounts should still be on the Jeep unless it's a Daystar BL that replaces the stock rubber mounts.You'll need to address the shifter brackets,radiator fan shroud and gas filler hose being too long.

3" BL instructions.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/10997.pdf
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

4" is enough to run 35s if it is set up right. Here is a kit to replace the OEM pucks. Just so you know though most BLs just add a spacer on the factory pucks. Download a 3" BL install and just reverse the instructions to remove the pucks.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_8X_PG.htm
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
bhjohnston
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedbacks! Any idea what the thread sizes and lengths of the OE bolts might be (assuming that there are different bolts at some of the mount locations)? BHJohnston 26JUN2013
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Somewhere on n here is a picture that has all the bolts and their length and side. Maybe someone has it saved.
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Does your jeep have a MML?
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
TheOtherMe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhjohnston View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks! Any idea what the thread sizes and lengths of the OE bolts might be (assuming that there are different bolts at some of the mount locations)? BHJohnston 26JUN2013
Wish you were closer. I have all of the original bolts sitting in my garage. I'd give em to you, but shipping would probably cost more than buying the bolts.
TheOtherMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stock body mount bolts:

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah you'll be fine with 33's. Drop it down to a 1 inch and go for a tummy tuck. Highly suggest it to get rid of ya shovel.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMe View Post

Wish you were closer. I have all of the original bolts sitting in my garage. I'd give em to you, but shipping would probably cost more than buying the bolts.
They will all fit in a small flat rate box that cost $5.40 to ship anywhere.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
bhjohnston
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I am new to Jeep, but I do know one thing, this Wrangler really drives squirrely (sp?). While the body lift has raised the center of gravity, I don't think that the lift is causing the driveability issues. Does anyone know of persons or businesses in NW South Carolina that might be able to see what I have and give me some clues? 'Clemson 4 Wheel Center' has been suggested at this end. BHJohnston 01JUL2013
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you can decribe what you mean by "squirrely" then we can help.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
bhjohnston
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Steering seems 'loose'. Kind of like in older cars when the toe-in was not correct. And, with the added height (3" body lift and 4" suspension lift), the body seems to 'roll'. Don't want to take turns too fast! I am probably not describing this accurately and think that someone with 'know-how' really needs to drive it to see what I am talking about. My son said that the steering changed quite a bit after he put the steel wheels and 33x12.5 tires on it. He claims that he has changed steering dampers a couple of times, but with no obvious change. I think that there is more to it than just dampening the steering. BHJohnston 01JUL2013
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

You very well could have loose steering parts. I would start by checking the tie-rod ends and all the bushings in the front end. Search death wobble and you will see what parts I am refering to. You may have DW that is being cover by the damper. The damper is not the fix or the cause. As for the body roll, does it have front and/or rear sway bars?
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
bhjohnston
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have only had the Jeep for a short time and I have not crawled under to see what things look like. I'll do that and try to let you know what I see. I do know that my son had some place install the lift and suspension kits and he does not seem to know all that was done. BHJohnston 01JUL2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.