Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remote Reservoir Shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #121
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd laugh if you had phone calls about me. If they were it was prolly just ur little cult following trying to pat you on the back and lift you back up after all the times I shut you down on this thread. The only mess here is ur non sence you seem to love to start. Prior to that it was a good thread. Now you can be done. Haha

TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #122
TheMusicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You need to stress the amount of work and time it takes to do what you're trying to do, that's all.
No he does not.

TheMusicMan.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #123
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^ I dunno, when I put my shocks on I think part of the increase in ride quality came from the shocks, and part from the outboarding.

If you can't weld/DIY, outboarding ain't cheap. Neither is trial-and-error re-valving.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #124
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
^ I dunno, when I put my shocks on I think part of the increase in ride quality came from the shocks, and part from the outboarding.

If you can't weld/DIY, outboarding ain't cheap. Neither is trial-and-error re-valving.
What are your shocks valved at... Any pics??
JeepRubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #125
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I will see if it's in my packing slip, I don't specifically remember. I am also working on some pics, as soon as I can remember to bring my camera with me when the Jeep is clean!
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #126
TheMusicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
Quote:
I will see if it's in my packing slip, I don't specifically remember.
The valving should be written on the top or bottom of the shock. My Fox Air-Shocks came with the number written on them.
If they were later revalved by a shop, The shop should have written the valving on the Shock. Any decent Shock shop would write the valving.

TheMusicMan.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #127
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard that if I bolt remote reservoir shocks on, my Jeep can survive this:

YouTube - Jeep Jump - Bumblebee Madness

I kid, I kid ... got that from the "Don't Do This In Your Wrangler" thread.
Unread 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #128
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haha maybe if you had some triple bypass shocks! I have a question though...

Early on in the threa mrblaine and crusty recommended for the TJ's to lighten the compression as much as possible and keep the rebound numbers high such as 30/90 or 30/75.. Wouldnt the shocks having such ease of compressing over anything, be easier to bottom out and one would constantly be hitting the bumpstops?

I was just thinking about it and it seems like you would want the compression stiffer to keep from hitting bumpstops but please let me know what you think..
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #129
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh ya, how tight should the lower bushings be tightened to? I tightened them up to about 80lbs and the bushing was squished a good amount between the washer and the shock eye, almost distorted.. Is there any performance problems with this such as the shocks not working properly, or will it just destroy bushings quicker, or is this normal??
Unread 09-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #130
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

hey, i really hate sliced bread. the best way to eat bread is in roll form! lol
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #131
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
My valving is 45/45 in the front (and a 4/8 on the compression clicker on the street) and a 30/90 in the back (with a 2/8 on the knob). It feels balanced, and resists body roll well. The rear is outboarded, and I have a Currie Anti-Rock. Front shocks are the stock replacement size. This is a DD.

Here are my thoughts - I am far from Baja, and dial the compression low on the slow and technical trails we have here. The back of the Jeep is empty when on the road - no spare, tire carrier, back seat, or hardtop - just a small 12v air compressor and a couple of little miscellaneous bits. Offroad I pack the usual assortment of spare, tools, etc. With the hard top on, I go another click up.

Critique on valving/setup/suggestions? (Please!)
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #132
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My valving is 45/45 in the front (and a 4/8 on the compression clicker on the street) and a 30/90 in the back (with a 2/8 on the knob). It feels balanced, and resists body roll well. The rear is outboarded, and I have a Currie Anti-Rock. Front shocks are the stock replacement size. This is a DD.

Here are my thoughts - I am far from Baja, and dial the compression low on the slow and technical trails we have here. The back of the Jeep is empty when on the road - no spare, tire carrier, back seat, or hardtop - just a small 12v air compressor and a couple of little miscellaneous bits. Offroad I pack the usual assortment of spare, tools, etc. With the hard top on, I go another click up.

Critique on valving/setup/suggestions? (Please!)
Hmm mine are valved at 60/45 for the fronts and 55/70 for the rear which is quite different than your setup.

My front compression is on the high side and sometimes it feels like it pushes the jeep back and forth kinda like a rocking horse, except on speeds bumps for example they soak them up real nice after coming down, while the rear seems to almost bottom out I guess from the lower compression setting.

Overall, my valving is "ok" just because I don't really have anything to base it off of other than my previous crappy shocks. But I'd like to try re-valving them, its just time-consuming and more money

It seems the faster I drive, the better they feel, but the slower I drive, the more I can feel every little imperfection
Unread 10-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #133
Ulumanati
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine or crusty: I know you opted out of replying on this thread, but hopefully you could just help me out with this question cuz it seems that some ppl are not all that up to date with the info they give.. Or anyone who has had good experience with these shocks

If I want to get the compression adjuster on some fox shocks, what would be a good valving setup to be able to adjust the compression from one extreme to another so I can really dial them in? I am not sure if valving them 30/70 fronts and 40/70 rears, will give me a lot of room to adjust the compression since I'd only be adjusting from lets say 0-30, as opposed to 0-65 such as the op has his valved..

Am I correct in thinking this, or is this totally off?
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #134
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulumanati View Post
Blaine or crusty: I know you opted out of replying on this thread, but hopefully you could just help me out with this question cuz it seems that some ppl are not all that up to date with the info they give.. Or anyone who has had good experience with these shocks

If I want to get the compression adjuster on some fox shocks, what would be a good valving setup to be able to adjust the compression from one extreme to another so I can really dial them in? I am not sure if valving them 30/70 fronts and 40/70 rears, will give me a lot of room to adjust the compression since I'd only be adjusting from lets say 0-30, as opposed to 0-65 such as the op has his valved..

Am I correct in thinking this, or is this totally off?
Be aware that the compression adjuster is little more than a needle valve with an orifice that just slows down or speeds up how fast the oil gets pushed around.

I would do the valving you have listed and start there.

Tags
bilstein , rancho , fox , shocks , reservoir , advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.