Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 134 Old 09-06-2010, 11:22 PM
TJdualsport
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OC
Posts: 2,878
jeeprubie04, I use some lube and a vise to pop it out or a hammer if a vise isn't around. it shouldnt damage the bushing. for the metal sleeve i use a deep socket that the same size and punch it out.

here is a picture of my resi on the exhaust side of how its run.


TJdualsport is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 134 Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
JeepRubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 181
Thanks! I tried a ball joint press and it worked wonders.. I don't actually see your exhaust haha, where is it? Did you cut it off? I plan on installing them tomorrow and want to make sure I dont run into any problems.
JeepRubi04 is offline  
post #93 of 134 Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
crusty1007
Registered User
1947  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: pismo beach
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
Alright well I decided to go ahead and give the fox shocks a try and they have already arrived. Problem is... the rear shocks have a bar pin eliminator at the top mount and I need to get rid of it due to the Nth shock shifters. The instructions say to remove the top bpe and replace it with the metal sleeve thats at the bottom of the shock, so...

1. How can I remove the bpe without damaging the rubber bushing?
2. Can I press out the lower metal sleeve with a ball joint press?
Remove the shock shifters.
Trim the rear portion of the spring bucket & mount them in the stock location.

However,
What are your current shock lengths, extended & collapsed?
What is the eye to eye measurement with the coil springs removed & the axle stuffed all the way to the bumpstops?

These will be your limiting factors.
If retaining the AEV relocation mounts, it may throw the lengths off & either limit droop or need more bumpstop to keep from bottoming out the shock.

Thean@PolyPerformance.com
Click the sig for everything you need to build a JEEP... 805-706-0232
NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY !!!
www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline  
post #94 of 134 Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
JeepRubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
Remove the shock shifters.
Trim the rear portion of the spring bucket & mount them in the stock location.

However,
What are your current shock lengths, extended & collapsed?
What is the eye to eye measurement with the coil springs removed & the axle stuffed all the way to the bumpstops?

These will be your limiting factors.
If retaining the AEV relocation mounts, it may throw the lengths off & either limit droop or need more bumpstop to keep from bottoming out the shock.
The shock lengths for the front are ext 28 comp 17, rear ext 25 comp 15. I got them valved to: Front 60/45 and rear 55/70. Any comments on the valving?
JeepRubi04 is offline  
post #95 of 134 Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
The shock lengths for the front are ext 28 comp 17, rear ext 25 comp 15. I got them valved to: Front 60/45 and rear 55/70. Any comments on the valving?
I suspect you will find that valving to be a tad stiff on the compression side for the front, but we'll see.

The back should be pretty close and with the adjustment you should be able to do, should be good.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
post #96 of 134 Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
JeepRubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I suspect you will find that valving to be a tad stiff on the compression side for the front, but we'll see.

The back should be pretty close and with the adjustment you should be able to do, should be good.
Thanks for chiming in.. Maybe I'm not used to nice shocks after having crappy rs5000's for 2 yrs but these shocks while they soak up bumps and potholes nicely, they feel like a damn teeter totter or rocking chair.

When I slam on brakes I feel jeep rock from back to front a couple times, kinda like it drives when I took off front shocks altogether. Btw, the compression being a bit stiff up front, what consequences does that come with?
JeepRubi04 is offline  
post #97 of 134 Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
Thanks for chiming in.. Maybe I'm not used to nice shocks after having crappy rs5000's for 2 yrs but these shocks while they soak up bumps and potholes nicely, they feel like a damn teeter totter or rocking chair.
It's easy to think they are soaking up bumps because you aren't bottoming out. View it another way, how much input is each bump imparting to the body and tossing it around?

Quote:

When I slam on brakes I feel jeep rock from back to front a couple times, kinda like it drives when I took off front shocks altogether. Btw, the compression being a bit stiff up front, what consequences does that come with?
Hobbyhorse. It's like driving a rocking horse. Happens when the compression is too high and it pushes the body around too much.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
post #98 of 134 Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler
 
NotURMailman's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Round Here
Posts: 7,249
OK Blaine, I have to ask...

You gave your recomendation for shock valving on a rock crawler. How about a trail rig that sees some pretty hard use and ocassional street time (but not a daily driver).

My RHD TJ - Savvy equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
NotURMailman is offline  
post #99 of 134 Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
OK Blaine, I have to ask...

You gave your recomendation for shock valving on a rock crawler. How about a trail rig that sees some pretty hard use and ocassional street time (but not a daily driver).
I had Larry's Unlimited 12" Foxes valved 30-70 for the front and 40-70 for the rear and he really liked it. I didn't get to drive it, so I don't know how to critique it.

I will be valving the ones in mine very similar to see how that really works.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
post #100 of 134 Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
bandit455
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 1,335
any advice on what valving to use bilstein 7100's?

Also is there any reason to go fox over a bilstein? bilsteins seem a bit cheaper

Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline  
post #101 of 134 Old 09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler
 
NotURMailman's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Round Here
Posts: 7,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I had Larry's Unlimited 12" Foxes valved 30-70 for the front and 40-70 for the rear and he really liked it. I didn't get to drive it, so I don't know how to critique it.

I will be valving the ones in mine very similar to see how that really works.
Good... I'll let you test it out before I replace my shocks

My RHD TJ - Savvy equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
NotURMailman is offline  
post #102 of 134 Old 09-09-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
JeepRubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
It's easy to think they are soaking up bumps because you aren't bottoming out. View it another way, how much input is each bump imparting to the body and tossing it around?



Hobbyhorse. It's like driving a rocking horse. Happens when the compression is too high and it pushes the body around too much.
Oh alright thanks for the explanation. Why would they reccomend having the compression higher than the rebound for the front tho, they did the same for Jevon's except he said that his feels really good, not "hobbyhorse" like and his I believe was 55/45 fronts where mine are just a tad stiffer at 60/45..

Please school me, does one size up really make that big of a difference? I could see a difference b/w maybe your other valvig option of 30/70 vs mine but I don't get it.
JeepRubi04 is offline  
post #103 of 134 Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 PM
TJeeper
Registered User
 
TJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lindon
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
any advice on what valving to use bilstein 7100's?
Bilstein has a progressive valving for long arm TJs that I used when I purchased mine. On the street I liked them. Stiff but not overly harsh. I have an anti-rock and they help control the leaning in sharp corners. The only problem I have with mine is I took off the rear tire carrier and spare tire, along with swapping out my Kilby GTS with a Savvy one. Now the rear shocks are too stiff, don't want to compress much on normal bumps. One of these days I will get a N2 gauge and see if I can adjust the rears to the lower limit and see if that helps.

As for off road, I don't have enough experience with other high end shocks to compare them with. They work good for me, but I am not an expert.

Patrick
'99 TJ
TJeeper is offline  
post #104 of 134 Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 AM
TJdualsport
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OC
Posts: 2,878
TJeeper i had a similar issue, without my spare it felt too stiff but with the spare i bottom out in the back on the big stuff, I built this tire carrier to keep the spare since my swing carrier started loosening up bad and was in a constant state of smashing in my tail gate.

its worked great so far, has takin some huge hits from friends screwin around and keeps the weight i need back there. I was talking with Jim Frens the other day (ex engineer from Nth degree) and we are both conviced its my rear springs. if i changed those up to a heavier duty coil it would cycle much smoother. what rear springs are you running? if you lightened your springs up it may help. i could be wrong but its just food for thought
TJdualsport is offline  
post #105 of 134 Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
TJeeper i had a similar issue, without my spare it felt too stiff but with the spare i bottom out in the back on the big stuff, I built this tire carrier to keep the spare since my swing carrier started loosening up bad and was in a constant state of smashing in my tail gate.

its worked great so far, has takin some huge hits from friends screwin around and keeps the weight i need back there. I was talking with Jim Frens the other day (ex engineer from Nth degree) and we are both conviced its my rear springs. if i changed those up to a heavier duty coil it would cycle much smoother. what rear springs are you running? if you lightened your springs up it may help. i could be wrong but its just food for thought
Are those tire carriers included when you purchase a set of four Fox Shocks nowadays?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
Reply

Tags
bilstein , rancho , fox , shocks , reservoir , advice

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Dual shocks w/ reservoir? Ej132 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 32 12-24-2009 09:04 PM
anybody running Fox oem shocks w/ remote reservoir? RE Mono-Tube Shock W/ Remote Res? murzi3000 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 10-04-2009 07:08 PM
how do i turn on my remote start/remote unlock? krany TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 18 12-17-2008 03:24 PM
Anybody have Reservoir Shocks (BILSTEIN 5150?) Oman Jeep TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 04-18-2008 06:32 PM
Remote Reservoir worth it? RnEmOvr TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 08-03-2007 09:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome