Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remote Reservoir Shocks

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #91
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

jeeprubie04, I use some lube and a vise to pop it out or a hammer if a vise isn't around. it shouldnt damage the bushing. for the metal sleeve i use a deep socket that the same size and punch it out.

here is a picture of my resi on the exhaust side of how its run.

TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #92
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I tried a ball joint press and it worked wonders.. I don't actually see your exhaust haha, where is it? Did you cut it off? I plan on installing them tomorrow and want to make sure I dont run into any problems.
JeepRubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #93
crusty1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
Alright well I decided to go ahead and give the fox shocks a try and they have already arrived. Problem is... the rear shocks have a bar pin eliminator at the top mount and I need to get rid of it due to the Nth shock shifters. The instructions say to remove the top bpe and replace it with the metal sleeve thats at the bottom of the shock, so...

1. How can I remove the bpe without damaging the rubber bushing?
2. Can I press out the lower metal sleeve with a ball joint press?
Remove the shock shifters.
Trim the rear portion of the spring bucket & mount them in the stock location.

However,
What are your current shock lengths, extended & collapsed?
What is the eye to eye measurement with the coil springs removed & the axle stuffed all the way to the bumpstops?

These will be your limiting factors.
If retaining the AEV relocation mounts, it may throw the lengths off & either limit droop or need more bumpstop to keep from bottoming out the shock.
www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #94
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
Remove the shock shifters.
Trim the rear portion of the spring bucket & mount them in the stock location.

However,
What are your current shock lengths, extended & collapsed?
What is the eye to eye measurement with the coil springs removed & the axle stuffed all the way to the bumpstops?

These will be your limiting factors.
If retaining the AEV relocation mounts, it may throw the lengths off & either limit droop or need more bumpstop to keep from bottoming out the shock.
The shock lengths for the front are ext 28 comp 17, rear ext 25 comp 15. I got them valved to: Front 60/45 and rear 55/70. Any comments on the valving?
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #95
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The shock lengths for the front are ext 28 comp 17, rear ext 25 comp 15. I got them valved to: Front 60/45 and rear 55/70. Any comments on the valving?
I suspect you will find that valving to be a tad stiff on the compression side for the front, but we'll see.

The back should be pretty close and with the adjustment you should be able to do, should be good.
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #96
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I suspect you will find that valving to be a tad stiff on the compression side for the front, but we'll see.

The back should be pretty close and with the adjustment you should be able to do, should be good.
Thanks for chiming in.. Maybe I'm not used to nice shocks after having crappy rs5000's for 2 yrs but these shocks while they soak up bumps and potholes nicely, they feel like a damn teeter totter or rocking chair.

When I slam on brakes I feel jeep rock from back to front a couple times, kinda like it drives when I took off front shocks altogether. Btw, the compression being a bit stiff up front, what consequences does that come with?
Unread 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #97
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in.. Maybe I'm not used to nice shocks after having crappy rs5000's for 2 yrs but these shocks while they soak up bumps and potholes nicely, they feel like a damn teeter totter or rocking chair.
It's easy to think they are soaking up bumps because you aren't bottoming out. View it another way, how much input is each bump imparting to the body and tossing it around?

Quote:

When I slam on brakes I feel jeep rock from back to front a couple times, kinda like it drives when I took off front shocks altogether. Btw, the compression being a bit stiff up front, what consequences does that come with?
Hobbyhorse. It's like driving a rocking horse. Happens when the compression is too high and it pushes the body around too much.
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #98
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK Blaine, I have to ask...

You gave your recomendation for shock valving on a rock crawler. How about a trail rig that sees some pretty hard use and ocassional street time (but not a daily driver).

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #99
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
OK Blaine, I have to ask...

You gave your recomendation for shock valving on a rock crawler. How about a trail rig that sees some pretty hard use and ocassional street time (but not a daily driver).
I had Larry's Unlimited 12" Foxes valved 30-70 for the front and 40-70 for the rear and he really liked it. I didn't get to drive it, so I don't know how to critique it.

I will be valving the ones in mine very similar to see how that really works.
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #100
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

any advice on what valving to use bilstein 7100's?

Also is there any reason to go fox over a bilstein? bilsteins seem a bit cheaper
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #101
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had Larry's Unlimited 12" Foxes valved 30-70 for the front and 40-70 for the rear and he really liked it. I didn't get to drive it, so I don't know how to critique it.

I will be valving the ones in mine very similar to see how that really works.
Good... I'll let you test it out before I replace my shocks

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #102
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's easy to think they are soaking up bumps because you aren't bottoming out. View it another way, how much input is each bump imparting to the body and tossing it around?

Hobbyhorse. It's like driving a rocking horse. Happens when the compression is too high and it pushes the body around too much.
Oh alright thanks for the explanation. Why would they reccomend having the compression higher than the rebound for the front tho, they did the same for Jevon's except he said that his feels really good, not "hobbyhorse" like and his I believe was 55/45 fronts where mine are just a tad stiffer at 60/45..

Please school me, does one size up really make that big of a difference? I could see a difference b/w maybe your other valvig option of 30/70 vs mine but I don't get it.
Unread 09-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #103
TJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
any advice on what valving to use bilstein 7100's?
Bilstein has a progressive valving for long arm TJs that I used when I purchased mine. On the street I liked them. Stiff but not overly harsh. I have an anti-rock and they help control the leaning in sharp corners. The only problem I have with mine is I took off the rear tire carrier and spare tire, along with swapping out my Kilby GTS with a Savvy one. Now the rear shocks are too stiff, don't want to compress much on normal bumps. One of these days I will get a N2 gauge and see if I can adjust the rears to the lower limit and see if that helps.

As for off road, I don't have enough experience with other high end shocks to compare them with. They work good for me, but I am not an expert.
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #104
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TJeeper i had a similar issue, without my spare it felt too stiff but with the spare i bottom out in the back on the big stuff, I built this tire carrier to keep the spare since my swing carrier started loosening up bad and was in a constant state of smashing in my tail gate.

its worked great so far, has takin some huge hits from friends screwin around and keeps the weight i need back there. I was talking with Jim Frens the other day (ex engineer from Nth degree) and we are both conviced its my rear springs. if i changed those up to a heavier duty coil it would cycle much smoother. what rear springs are you running? if you lightened your springs up it may help. i could be wrong but its just food for thought
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #105
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
TJeeper i had a similar issue, without my spare it felt too stiff but with the spare i bottom out in the back on the big stuff, I built this tire carrier to keep the spare since my swing carrier started loosening up bad and was in a constant state of smashing in my tail gate.

its worked great so far, has takin some huge hits from friends screwin around and keeps the weight i need back there. I was talking with Jim Frens the other day (ex engineer from Nth degree) and we are both conviced its my rear springs. if i changed those up to a heavier duty coil it would cycle much smoother. what rear springs are you running? if you lightened your springs up it may help. i could be wrong but its just food for thought
Are those tire carriers included when you purchase a set of four Fox Shocks nowadays?

Tags
bilstein , rancho , fox , shocks , reservoir , advice

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.