Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remote Reservoir Shocks

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #61
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
as far as "we are rock crawlers" not everyone on the site is a johnson valley junky. in fact this thread is about getting a better shock to go faster in the rough.
Not everyone on this forum is looking for a shock to help them go faster over rough terrain, either...in fact, I would wager that very few drivers are looking for that. There are, however, a lot of people that want to install reservoir shocks because they think they need to...not because they actually know what they're doing. With that said, I would state that the information on this thread isn't just for the original poster...so, while the above quotation is a good point, it also must be understood that the hype and misinformation about remote reservoir shocks necessitates clarification both of their intended use and their usual mis-use.

__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #62
TJdualsport
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 2,667
I couldn't disagree more. If people just posted generalizations or there 2 cents since its relative all it would do is cause confusion and cluster F threads. This thread is for a op who stated he likes to go fast on occasion. Nice try helpin blaine though. There's plenty of info for the OP now so I won't post anymore on it. Jeeprubi04. You need anything just PM me.
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #63
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
I couldn't disagree more.
That's certainly your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
If people just posted generalizations or there 2 cents since its relative all it would do is cause confusion and cluster F threads.
This is true, but has little to do with my previous comments. There aren't any generalizations here...just information about the use of reservoir shocks. In fact, until the OP clarified that his specific need for them, nobody had any idea why he was asking. Seemed like a misinformed poster to me, at the time (No offense, OP) because - as stated - so few people have a need for that type of shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
This thread is for a op who stated he likes to go fast on occasion.
No, it's not for just the OP. It's for everyone. This is a forum...a site for discussion. If someone has input on a topic they are welcome and expected to bring it. Nobody owns a thread...by posting a topic, they open it for public debate. That's the entire point. If you think this is nothing more than a collection of "Help Me!" or "Look how awesome my rig is!" threads, then I disagree with you vehemently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
Nice try helpin blaine though.
I was talking in response to the statements you made, not him. I apologize for not making that clearer, and I am sorry that you felt the need to be defensive. That was not my intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
There's plenty of info for the OP now so I won't post anymore on it.
If you have divergent or relevant views and opinions, I would hope that you continue to post them, as you have done thus far. Differing viewpoints advance discussion.
__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #64
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
depends on what 10ft of the track your talking. i can do 10ft off the line... lol. i wasnt trying to school you but you did make my point. they have a desert tune and they still make it up and over crazy stuff in the canyons. if it was a rock tune they couldnt go fast in the desert the way they need too. point being its better to have a more go fast tune then a rock tune if you want to do both. ive been to the KOH races too......lol. His XJ has years of abuse, with zero failures in steering and suspension. so say what you want, but its worked well and has cost him next to nothing in comparison to most dezert rigs. as far as "we are rock crawlers" not everyone on the site is a johnson valley junky. in fact this thread is about getting a better shock to go faster in the rough.
You keep trying to make the point that the go fast tune is superior. For those that don't have a frame of reference, skip forward to the 3 minute mark to understand why the go fast sucks in the rocks.

YouTube - ‪King of the Hammers trailer1 - 2008‬‎

And why trying to make go fast work in the rocks take a lot of very beefy parts.






Quote:
im in it for 400. I had my stuff valved and charged prior to install by someone who knows what they are doing....
So I can get what you have for 400 and anyone else on here can as well?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #65
TJdualsport
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 2,667
sorry, to clear it up im not saying a go fast tune is superior, Im saying if you plan on doing both lean more towards the desert tune in the valving. sure you can get deals like mine ,I watched the boards and classifieds for a couple months looking for some better shocks. they came up at Viking offroad up in oxnard, they were valved and ready to go said the owner. months down the road a friend of mine found a set already valved for desert running on naxja.org. his setup was 500 and has had them for about a year with no complaints. you just gotta watch the boards for the deals. ive missed several deals for cheaper and more expensive about a half dozen times. i watched the video and saw a guy mashing it in the rocks at 3:00 kinda looks like the video on the savvy homepage.... except the guy in the koh vid kept goin...
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #66
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
sorry, to clear it up im not saying a go fast tune is superior, Im saying if you plan on doing both lean more towards the desert tune in the valving.
Now you're confusing the OP. I've tried to explain that your answers tend to try and say to just go bolt on some Fox or Kings and TADA! you can now go fast in the whoops. You keep getting all snooty when I try and point out it's not quite that easy.

I pointed out cost, valving, time and lest we forget, the testing and dialing in it takes to make a TJ go fast in the whoops and you keep going back to how superior your rig is going fast while leaving most of that out except for one post that I read where you pretty much glossed over that part.

Very much like when you stated that you have 400 in yours. The clarification below really helps someone when they try and figure that part out.




Quote:
sure you can get deals like mine ,I watched the boards and classifieds for a couple months looking for some better shocks. they came up at Viking offroad up in oxnard, they were valved and ready to go said the owner. months down the road a friend of mine found a set already valved for desert running on naxja.org. his setup was 500 and has had them for about a year with no complaints. you just gotta watch the boards for the deals. ive missed several deals for cheaper and more expensive about a half dozen times. i watched the video and saw a guy mashing it in the rocks at 3:00 kinda looks like the video on the savvy homepage.... except the guy in the koh vid kept goin...
Is that supposed to be some sort of a dig on Gerald?

Really, you think there's any comparison between Gerald messing around on 1 obstacle and a racer who drives the entire trail like that because he has to if he wants to win. I don't even know why I asked because that's typical of your replies.

Here's the bottom line, the OP can bolt on your magic shocks and then when he gets back on here because they didn't provide the solution he was looking for, then YOU walk him through all the rest of the stuff that needs to be done to go even moderately fast through the whoops.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #67
TJdualsport
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Now you're confusing the OP. I've tried to explain that your answers tend to try and say to just go bolt on some Fox or Kings and TADA! you can now go fast in the whoops. You keep getting all snooty when I try and point out it's not quite that easy.

I pointed out cost, valving, time and lest we forget, the testing and dialing in it takes to make a TJ go fast in the whoops and you keep going back to how superior your rig is going fast while leaving most of that out except for one post that I read where you pretty much glossed over that part.

Very much like when you stated that you have 400 in yours. The clarification below really helps someone when they try and figure that part out.


Is that supposed to be some sort of a dig on Gerald?

Really, you think there's any comparison between Gerald messing around on 1 obstacle and a racer who drives the entire trail like that because he has to if he wants to win. I don't even know why I asked because that's typical of your replies.

Here's the bottom line, the OP can bolt on your magic shocks and then when he gets back on here because they didn't provide the solution he was looking for, then YOU walk him through all the rest of the stuff that needs to be done to go even moderately fast through the whoops.
the only person that seams confused is you. please show me where i posted that you just bolt on shocks and tada??? i just scanned the thread and it looks like i was the one warning him. heres my quote
Quote:
if your gonna start going fast id highly recomend grabbin the T&J performance gusset kit. jeepspeed is a blast but does wear things out fast and things like to bend and crack lol.
i also said this
Quote:
just depends on what you wanna do. if your serious about wanting to go fast theres alot more that your gonna have to do then just add some beefier shocks.
I dont see where i get "snooty" either. in fact if you reread the entire thread it was really good till you chimed in with a typical blainesque post. as far as my clarification i would have told anyone if they asked how i did it. its not a secret. if i was just to post eveeeerything i could on a setup the post would be paragraphs long and no one would read it and guys like you would try and pick it apart and create a bunch on nonsence. (kinda like how this thread turned out). THANKS BLAINE! as far as a dig on gerald no, i really apologise if there was that misconsemption. imo bottomline is since this poster did homework on here and now knows he needs the shocks valved for what he wants like he already stated down south motorports is gonna do.... odds are he will be fine and wont have to go through the BS of taking them off getting a revalve and blah blah blah. he also stated hes not racing and doing long term desert he just wants to have fun when it is in front of him and not worry about the shocks blowing up... pretty sure hes gonna achieve that and he will be a happy jeep owner. get off your high horse blaine im one of the nicest guys in the world much like yourself from what i hear and its what i tell people who are looking for more then just off the shelf bolt on parts.
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #68
DezertTJ
Lost
 
DezertTJ's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 4,522
alreight ladies that's enough, let the OP read through this thread and decide what he wants, adding an argument will only clutter it
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon: AZ Backcountry LJ Build
DezertTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #69
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
the only person that seams confused is you. please show me where i posted that you just bolt on shocks and tada??? i just scanned the thread and it looks like i was the one warning him. heres my quote
i also said this

I dont see where i get "snooty" either. in fact if you reread the entire thread it was really good till you chimed in with a typical blainesque post. as far as my clarification i would have told anyone if they asked how i did it. its not a secret. if i was just to post eveeeerything i could on a setup the post would be paragraphs long and no one would read it and guys like you would try and pick it apart and create a bunch on nonsence. (kinda like how this thread turned out). THANKS BLAINE! as far as a dig on gerald no, i really apologise if there was that misconsemption. imo bottomline is since this poster did homework on here and now knows he needs the shocks valved for what he wants like he already stated down south motorports is gonna do.... odds are he will be fine and wont have to go through the BS of taking them off getting a revalve and blah blah blah. he also stated hes not racing and doing long term desert he just wants to have fun when it is in front of him and not worry about the shocks blowing up... pretty sure hes gonna achieve that and he will be a happy jeep owner. get off your high horse blaine im one of the nicest guys in the world much like yourself from what i hear and its what i tell people who are looking for more then just off the shelf bolt on parts.
I don't know what a blainesque post is other than trying to keep folks from being misinformed. Everytime I've made a point about the actual involvement of what it takes to run the whoops, you counter with something that makes it sound easier than it really is. That's my only point. It's not easy, it's not cheap and it's not bolt on and it takes more that shocks.

If he just wants to have fun without racing and doing it long term, then he's not going to blow up the 9000XL's.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #70
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
alreight ladies that's enough, let the OP read through this thread and decide what he wants, adding an argument will only clutter it
Get someone to turn your name a different color and I may listen to you. Until then, not so much.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #71
DezertTJ
Lost
 
DezertTJ's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 4,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Get someone to turn your name a different color and I may listen to you. Until then, not so much.
so why should we listen to what you say here? you're being a ****, get over it. its an internet forum. don't be an E-thug

__________________
06 LJ Rubicon: AZ Backcountry LJ Build
DezertTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #72
crusty1007
Registered User
1947  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: pismo beach
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Get someone to turn your name a different color and I may listen to you. Until then, not so much.
fawgin Blaine!

How are those new big body Rancho's working out?
__________________
Thean@PolyPerformance.com
Click the sig for everything you need to build a JEEP... 805-706-0232
NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY !!!
www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #73
counselor
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
so why should we listen to what you say here? you're being a ****, get over it. its an internet forum. don't be an E-thug

Because he has developed new and innovative offroad jeep products for SEVERAL different companies, built at least one Jeep that has been on the cover of CRAWL, been a part of numerous KOH efforts, and came up with a lot of the common mods that people do to their TJs all the time with out wondering who it was that thought this up---that's why you should listen to him.

Yeah, he's a grumpy old man, but until you stop pooping green in your diaper and come up with anything approaching his resume, maybe you should just sit back and be quiet while the big boys talk.
counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #74
TheMusicMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Music Land
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Especially if you consider that the best trail valving for a rock crawler is 30/90 in a Fox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I don't know what a blainesque post is other than trying to keep folks from being misinformed.
How can you say this when you clearly state that there is 1 best trail valving for a rock crawler.

Misinformed information is telling people there is a best trail valving for rock crawling with fox shocks and it is xx/xx, And without even knowing the vehicle weight or specific location/style of rocks they are crawling. Not too mention different driver styles and shock mounting locations.

I agree with 'TJdualsport'. Blaine, You really must come down off that high horse.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #75
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
How can you say this when you clearly state that there is 1 best trail valving for a rock crawler.
Then clearly state which valving in Fox shock works better for crawling. Seems simple, you put up the valving and I'll tell what compromise it's going to cost you on the trail for crawling.

Quote:
Misinformed information is telling people there is a best trail valving for rock crawling with fox shocks and it is xx/xx, And without even knowing the vehicle weight or specific location/style of rocks they are crawling. Not too mention different driver styles and shock mounting locations.

I agree with 'TJdualsport'. Blaine, You really must come down off that high horse.
I gave you a way to prove me wrong.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bilstein , rancho , fox , shocks , reservoir , advice
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.