Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remote Reservoir Shocks

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #46
DezertTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

it matters who you get it done by. i've got friends who do it for free, but call around and see what people charge

Quote:
Iím very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany
DezertTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #47
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

same here. steve at dependable offroad knows that he is doing. he right here in fullerton
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #48
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Would it be a smarter choice to go for the Rancho Pro Series Remote 9000xl shocks since for they are equal to a fox 2.0 shock in price, but they have the adjustable knob, whereas if I want the adjustable dampening on a fox shock its an extra $85 each!!

Im trying to weigh my options, and I can't seem to just make up my mind already and purchase a set, cuz these crappy shocks are killing me!
JeepRubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #49
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i have fox shox 2.0 remote res. i like them. i had to rebuild one 3 weeks ago. cost me 30 bucks for parts and oil and nitrogen.
kinda stiff and noisy (only issue) but, i like them though.

if people say i did it for looks try looking for them, you can hardly tell. i had canvas boots made to keep the sand and crap off of them.

they have stout shafts.
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #50
miguelitojeep97

mine have been riding awesome! Took them out on a trail and did well, also did very well on the fire road back
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #51
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebirgziege View Post
i have fox shox 2.0 remote res. i like them. i had to rebuild one 3 weeks ago. cost me 30 bucks for parts and oil and nitrogen.
kinda stiff and noisy (only issue) but, i like them though.

if people say i did it for looks try looking for them, you can hardly tell. i had canvas boots made to keep the sand and crap off of them.

they have stout shafts.
When you say stiff, is it like feel every single bump in the road or just a firm ride..? That's my main debate, great desert speed handling but at the same time good road manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
mine have been riding awesome! Took them out on a trail and did well, also did very well on the fire road back
Which shocks, the fox 2.0? What valving do you have on them
JeepRubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #52
miguelitojeep97

I have 12 inch Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks. they are valved at I believe 45/70. Bought them pre-valved and so far have no complaints, although I was going from beat up short arm kit to 5 inch stretch long arm with new shocks.
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #53
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

imo you cant put a rancho 9k on the same platform as a fox or king shock. apples and oranges. not a chance can a rancho shock keep up with my setup in the desert. just depends on what you wanna do. if your serious about wanting to go fast theres alot more that your gonna have to do then just add some beefier shocks.

this happened to a freind in his jeepspeed the last time out

Last edited by TJdualsport; 08-08-2010 at 10:41 PM..
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #54
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet TTB conversion
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #55
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
imo you cant put a rancho 9k on the same platform as a fox or king shock. apples and oranges. not a chance can a rancho shock keep up with my setup in the desert. just depends on what you wanna do. if your serious about wanting to go fast theres alot more that your gonna have to do then just add some beefier shocks.
First, there's a lot more to shock ownership than gofast. Second, you negated the point you made about Fox and King by saying that there is more to shocks than just installing them and going fast.

You also left out the part that a shock that goes fast, does not always work well on the trails and typically works very poorly. Especially if you consider that the best trail valving for a rock crawler is 30/90 in a Fox and all that does is pack up in the whoops.

Quote:
this happened to a freind in his jeepspeed the last time out
There's a whole bunch wrong with that picture for what we do.
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #56
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
First, there's a lot more to shock ownership than gofast. Second, you negated the point you made about Fox and King by saying that there is more to shocks than just installing them and going fast.

You also left out the part that a shock that goes fast, does not always work well on the trails and typically works very poorly. Especially if you consider that the best trail valving for a rock crawler is 30/90 in a Fox and all that does is pack up in the whoops.

First your right, theres alot more to it then crawling out there too.... second i dont get your point... how did i negate anything? I left out alot more then just that. odds are you will be just fine in the rocks with a desert tune on the shocks. can you make it better suuuure, but its not like the other way around were a rock setup will be horrible in the speed. take KOH for example. i can garuntee you most the shock tuning sessions dont happen in the rock piles.

who is "we" and what is "what we do" last i checked this wasnt savvy.com that rig is awsome, old 2 door XJ on 33s, full traction long arm kit, deavers, king triple bypasses full cage seats etc etc... he was just lazy and didnt do the truss on the front and it bit him in the ***. what are you bored tonight???
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #57
TheMusicMan

Quote:

How you can make such an ignorant comment like this is beyond me. I don't understand how you can even think that there is 1 best valving for 1,000s of different rock crawlers with 1,000s of different drivers in the seat.

Although I do agree that in almost all cases valving for one terrain means a compromise in another terrain.
Also Rancho shocks cannot be compared to Fox or King shocks.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #58
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
First your right, theres alot more to it then crawling out there too.... second i dont get your point... how did i negate anything? I left out alot more then just that. odds are you will be just fine in the rocks with a desert tune on the shocks. can you make it better suuuure, but its not like the other way around were a rock setup will be horrible in the speed. take KOH for example. i can garuntee you most the shock tuning sessions dont happen in the rock piles.
I guarantee you that your rig won't make it 10' through any trail out there driving KOH style either. You can't compare what you do to any KOH racer who's serious. They tune for the go fast and then point and shoot over the trails hoping they have enough horsepower to make it.

Don't even try and school me on KOH. I've worked and supported every race since it started except the first with the OG12.

Quote:
who is "we" and what is "what we do" last i checked this wasnt savvy.com that rig is awsome, old 2 door XJ on 33s, full traction long arm kit, deavers, king triple bypasses full cage seats etc etc... he was just lazy and didnt do the truss on the front and it bit him in the ***. what are you bored tonight???
Stock draglink, ZJ tie rod, under hung tie rod on driver's side to start and WE are rockcrawlers. As far as your lazy comment. All that cool guy stuff for go fast and a non trussed front axle, alright, if you call that lazy, some of us have another term.
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #59
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
How you can make such an ignorant comment like this is beyond me. I don't understand how you can even think that there is 1 best valving for 1,000s of different rock crawlers with 1,000s of different drivers in the seat.
I qualified it with the shock brand. I've played with many many variations of shock valving in those shocks and then watched them perform in a whole bunch of rigs they are installed in. You won't get better than that valving for rock crawling. That's how I can make that comment.

Quote:
Although I do agree that in almost all cases valving for one terrain means a compromise in another terrain.
In most? You shock elitists are all over the map. Get it back in context would you? We are in a TJ forum and the vast majority of the folks on here are not going to be doing Jeep Speed.

Quote:
You're right, if you want something that takes more money to install, lots more money to set up, more time jerking around with valving, and more money to purchase, then get Fox or King and at the end of the day, 1 in 100 will be able to use them where it pays off.
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #60
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guarantee you that your rig won't make it 10' through any trail out there driving KOH style either. You can't compare what you do to any KOH racer who's serious. They tune for the go fast and then point and shoot over the trails hoping they have enough horsepower to make it.

Don't even try and school me on KOH. I've worked and supported every race since it started except the first with the OG12.

Stock draglink, ZJ tie rod, under hung tie rod on driver's side to start and WE are rockcrawlers. As far as your lazy comment. All that cool guy stuff for go fast and a non trussed front axle, alright, if you call that lazy, some of us have another term.

depends on what 10ft of the track your talking. i can do 10ft off the line... lol. i wasnt trying to school you but you did make my point. they have a desert tune and they still make it up and over crazy stuff in the canyons. if it was a rock tune they couldnt go fast in the desert the way they need too. point being its better to have a more go fast tune then a rock tune if you want to do both. ive been to the KOH races too......lol. His XJ has years of abuse, with zero failures in steering and suspension. so say what you want, but its worked well and has cost him next to nothing in comparison to most dezert rigs. as far as "we are rock crawlers" not everyone on the site is a johnson valley junky. in fact this thread is about getting a better shock to go faster in the rough.
Quote:
In most? You shock elitists are all over the map. Get it back in context would you? We are in a TJ forum and the vast majority of the folks on here are not going to be doing Jeep Speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame
What are you doing with your jeep that makes you want reservoirs?

Originally Posted by Jeeprubi04
Lot's of desert whoops, not enough to where its a weekend thing, but enough to where if I'm in the market to purchase a new set of shocks and have them last a while, might as well get some quality shocks that won't fade with whatever I throw at them....

Do you think reservoir shocks are overrated?
i dont think i need to say anything....

Quote:

You're right, if you want something that takes more money to install, lots more money to set up, more time jerking around with valving, and more money to purchase, then get Fox or King and at the end of the day, 1 in 100 will be able to use them where it pays off.
im in it for 400. I had my stuff valved and charged prior to install by someone who knows what they are doing....

Tags
bilstein , rancho , fox , shocks , reservoir , advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.