Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remote Reservoir Shocks

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
miguelitojeep97

Fox 2.0 12 inch travel... got mine "used" never were installed for a great price. So far they ride very very nice. I still need to have them re-valved as it seems a bit soft. Other than that these are some beautiful shocks:

1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
Fox 2.0 12 inch travel... got mine "used" never were installed for a great price. So far they ride very very nice. I still need to have them re-valved as it seems a bit soft. Other than that these are some beautiful shocks:
Mike, your sig is still showing the RE SF lift. Those don't look like RE shortarms anymore.

I'll have to go find your update thread. Is there one?

To th OP, Bilsteins carry a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser so I wouldn't worry about the rebuild factor. I'm slightly partial to the Bilsteins, my employer, ThyssenKrupp, owns them.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dang those look nice. Did you outboard yourself or have a shop do it? Everytime I look at those shocks it makes me want them more and more
JeepRubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
Hah I've been considering the fox shocks but I read mr.Blaine wasn't too fond of them..
I'm very fond of Fox shocks. I'm not fond of the stock valving they use in the factory replacements nor am I that happy with most of the lengths they offer.

It's also very hard to make them ride better than other shocks on the street and if you don't mind being annoyed by something you drive daily, they are great shocks.

Hands down you can make them perform very well on the trail, or you can make them perform very well on the way to the trail, or, you can make them sorta work at both.
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is possibly the single most gender challenged reservoir mounting method I have ever witnessed. Really? A pair of hose clamps around the frame? That's the best you can do? If I were Fox and saw those pictures, I'd drive to your house and take your shocks away from you for that.
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That is possibly the single most gender challenged reservoir mounting method I have ever witnessed. Really? A pair of hose clamps around the frame? That's the best you can do? If I were Fox and saw those pictures, I'd drive to your house and take your shocks away from you for that.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ive been runnign desert and woops for a while on my Fox 2.0 pro series resi shocks. they have held up great. 8 way adjustable too. your gonna need something better then a bilstien 5100 if you wanna run woops. the valving isnt made for high speed desert. king has some good shocks with stock style mounts too. the vid is from Johnson valley. but ive run the mdr race track a few times, slash x area, lots of mojave desert hours lgged in too and many other areas haulin buns with great results.
YouTube - kevin fox.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMswdgGBLVg
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 01:29 AM   #23
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm very fond of Fox shocks. I'm not fond of the stock valving they use in the factory replacements nor am I that happy with most of the lengths they offer.

It's also very had to make them ride better than other shocks on the street and if you don't mind being annoyed by something you drive daily, they are great shocks.

Hands down you can make them perform very well on the trail, or you can make them perform very well on the way to the trail, or, you can make them sorta work at both.
Oh alright, sorry if I misunderstood you. I was reading through Idaho's Jeep Build and I read that you weren't suggesting them but now I understand because of the valving and lengths. What do you mean if you don't mind being annoyed daily; how much worse can they be than the crappy rancho rs5000's i have? I was thinking of going with the same valving that Idaho went with since he's having success with it, but I'm certainly open to any other shock suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
ive been runnign desert and woops for a while on my Fox 2.0 pro series resi shocks. they have held up great. 8 way adjustable too. your gonna need something better then a bilstien 5100 if you wanna run woops. the valving isnt made for high speed desert. king has some good shocks with stock style mounts too. the vid is from Johnson valley. but ive run the mdr race track a few times, slash x area, lots of mojave desert hours lgged in too and many other areas haulin buns with great results.
Did you outboard your shocks in the rear? This might be the only thing holding me back from purchasing a reservoir shock immediately, that they will most likely make contact with the gas tank or muffler. I have to find a good shop to outboard and hopefully not charge me an arm and a leg
Unread 07-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #24
miguelitojeep97

Quote:
I deserve that. This is not permanent, as I have been having to swap these shocks in and out while I get my rear springs the correct length. I should not even post these pics until Im done, since I knew the mad scientist would have to stumble upon it at some point.

no update thread yet, still working on it ever chance I get to get it dialed in. Myself and a friend did all the work on my build.
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #25
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
Oh alright, sorry if I misunderstood you. I was reading through Idaho's Jeep Build and I read that you weren't suggesting them but now I understand because of the valving and lengths. What do you mean if you don't mind being annoyed daily; how much worse can they be than the crappy rancho rs5000's i have? I was thinking of going with the same valving that Idaho went with since he's having success with it, but I'm certainly open to any other shock suggestions.
All of the stock replacements I've installed outside of the last set that I custom ordered the valving for had single bleed pistons which are nice for the big stuff, but very annoying in that you feel every single pebble that's embedded in asphalt.

As far as Jevon's success, before I considered his experience a success, I would have to know that he's run Bilstiens, the new big body Rancho XL's, and a couple of different valving options in the Foxes and found the Foxes to be better.

Everyone's idea of what a good riding and handling Jeep should be is too different for one to be considered the best. I like a firm controlled ride with no annoying habits, no harshness, and difficult to bottom out on the bigger stuff. Some folks like riding on marshmallows and call that good.
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All of the stock replacements I've installed outside of the last set that I custom ordered the valving for had single bleed pistons which are nice for the big stuff, but very annoying in that you feel every single pebble that's embedded in asphalt.

As far as Jevon's success, before I considered his experience a success, I would have to know that he's run Bilstiens, the new big body Rancho XL's, and a couple of different valving options in the Foxes and found the Foxes to be better.

Everyone's idea of what a good riding and handling Jeep should be is too different for one to be considered the best. I like a firm controlled ride with no annoying habits, no harshness, and difficult to bottom out on the bigger stuff. Some folks like riding on marshmallows and call that good.
I guess therein lies the problem for average joes like me who can't ge their hands on a variety of shocks first before making a purchase. When you refer to bilstein, which one specifically, the 5100 or 7100? I do like the idea of being able to adjust the rancho's on the fly but once again, heard that the knob tends to fall off and such.

Your idea of what a good ridig shock should be is similar to mine. I'm somewhat tired of feeling every fault in roads with my rs5000's but if you say that fox shocks wigh OEM valving will have the same I'll effect perhaps I should think twice.

Do you still reccommend no mattere what choice shock, to outboard the rear an ditch the Nth shock shifters?
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #27
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am surprised how much flex is visible at the body mounts. I figured there would be some, but damn.
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #28
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

im running stock mounts with the resi out back with zero contact. Im not gonna outboard until if and when i decide to stretch the jeep wheelbase. ask crusty about pricing on the pro series fox's. being adjustable i can turn down the compression and have it ride pretty nice on the street .
I was suprised too on how much the rubber isolators move, ive checked the bolts and rubber and nothing is loose or cracked.
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #29
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
im running stock mounts with the resi out back with zero contact. Im not gonna outboard until if and when i decide to stretch the jeep wheelbase. ask crusty about pricing on the pro series fox's. being adjustable i can turn down the compression and have it ride pretty nice on the street .
I was suprised too on how much the rubber isolators move, ive checked the bolts and rubber and nothing is loose or cracked.
Do you have pics of how the rears are mounted on for reference? Like reservoir and shock body mounted up or down? I can't decide whether to shell out some cash for a niceset of reservoirs that could last me a while and outboard at the same time which is $$$, or just save some cash and go with bilstein 5100 which seem to get stellar reviews from everyone and save the outboard for a later time.
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #30
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

here ya go

Tags
bilstein , rancho , fox , shocks , reservoir , advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.