Remanufactured 4.0L Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remanufactured 4.0L Engine

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Remanufactured 4.0L Engine

Anyone had experience with any of the engine rebuilders?
Looking for recommendation on who to go with.... or who to stay away from.
Had one favorable report on JEEP ENGINE SALES.
Anyone know of them or had dealings?

RJ

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Badcop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Never bought a turnkey, but I've built a few 4.0's. Best advice I can tell you is don't waste your money on a pre built. Pull a part yards usually sell long blocks for less than 200$. A machine shop to clean it, bore it 0.30 over and re valve be around 400$ and new insides for 300$. Most everything (oil pump, crank, head, acc, etc) you can reuse after cleanup if they haven't failed. Crank can be resurfaced for a minimum. Cones down to time and skill. Not to bag or demean but I rebuilt my first engine as a junior in high school quite some years ago with no more knowledge than a book. I now run a 4.5l in our TJ. If your going to build one, pm me and I'll give you a junkyard list of what you'll need. I'd check your local machine shops and call some yards to get ballpark prices before deciding. - Brian
Badcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.titanengines.com/index.ph...ducts_id=15750

Get a 4.6L stroker. Titan is cheaper than a Golem.

Quote:
Jeep 4.6 Stroker

Starting at: $2,495.00

Jeep 4.6 STROKER remanufactured long block. We also have a 4.7 Stroker available. 3 year-36,000 mile warranty. There is a $350.00 refundable core charge. Please read some of our specifics on our top of the line STROKER:
Bolt on 255HP@5000RPM, with 278lb/ft @ 4000 RPM
OE Jeep 4.2 3.895" stroker crankshaft. Precision ground, oil holes champer, and micro polished.
OE Jeep 4.2 rods 6.125" Rods have beed mag tested, reconditioned.
Silvolite #3241HC Hypereutectic pistons with coated skirts. The CR is 9.6:1 ( you can run pump gas with this 4.6 Stroker) The pin height is 1.592. Quench Height 0.041"
The cam we usually use is a Elgin .420 lift camshaft. It is hydraulic and the operating range is 1000-5000 RPM's The intake is 210@.050" and the exhaust is 215@.050" Lift is .420 on Exhaust and Intake. Lobe seperation is 110. The L2011 lifters are Melling.
The cylinder head is fitted with 1.94 intake valves, and 1.62 exhaust valves. The springs are new Elgin magnum springs along with new locks, seals. The combustion chamber is 62cc, and the intake runner is 156cc.
The rings are Hastings 2M4815 or Perfect Circle moly
The rod, main, and cam bearings are Clevite or King.
The Timing set is a roller Mellings set
The head gasket is a Mopar performance.
Freeze Plugs-Brass
Push Rods are new Melling
Oil Pump Melling M81A (High Volume is also available if desired)
Rotating assembly is balanced to within 1 gram.

I'm just waiting on mine to die now. 144k miles and counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcop View Post
Never bought a turnkey, but I've built a few 4.0's. Best advice I can tell you is don't waste your money on a pre built. Pull a part yards usually sell long blocks for less than 200$. A machine shop to clean it, bore it 0.30 over and re valve be around 400$ and new insides for 300$. Most everything (oil pump, crank, head, acc, etc) you can reuse after cleanup if they haven't failed. Crank can be resurfaced for a minimum. Cones down to time and skill. Not to bag or demean but I rebuilt my first engine as a junior in high school quite some years ago with no more knowledge than a book. I now run a 4.5l in our TJ. If your going to build one, pm me and I'll give you a junkyard list of what you'll need. I'd check your local machine shops and call some yards to get ballpark prices before deciding. - Brian
Right there you're looking at $900. And a warrantied rebuilt 4.0 can be had for $1500. (With $400 Core price, and $150 shipping not factored in)

Personally, especially cause of where I live, theres no mechanic I'd trust here anymore to rebuild me one. IF I had a good place, I'd probably consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys....but not answering my question!
I don't have the time to rebuild this engine (did rebuild my 98, in profile).
What time I have will go into fixing suspension and body. And, a professionally rebuilt engine will aid resale price, IMO.

And don't want to spend the money on a Stroker....just for resale!
Want to play with this 97 TJ (winter project) and sell in spring. With remanufactured engine, I'll have under 3500 in it.
With new engine and a few body/suspension parts and new tires, can sell around here, for $6,000 -7,000.

Just need comments on anyones experience with remanufactured engines!

RJ
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Michael
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I recently needed to have my engine replaced. The shop I worked with recommended RMP Powertrain Solutions, I got a 4.0L long block there for $1,650 total (shipped). It was $1,200 to install it, which included labor and miscellaneous parts, serp belt, fluids, etc. Labor might be cheaper in the midwest though. I've only had it for a few hundred miles so I can't speak to longevity, but so far it is running like a champ. The shop said they've installed over 150 RMP engines and never had a problem, and they come with a 3-year/100k mile warranty (great for re-sale, who doesn't love a used car with a long warranty).

http://www.powertrainsolutions.com/
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a reman motor from Promar Engines out of NJ and I'm very happy with how everything went.

The service was great, shipping was fast, motor runs perfect, and they let me take my time with returning the core. There is no core charge up front. They assume you'll return it.

Watch out for scams on ebay and Craigs List. They'll sell you a junkyard motor with some fresh paint on it and claim it is a reman.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Watch out for scams on ebay and Craigs List. They'll sell you a junkyard motor and claim it is a reman.
Agreed! Made a decision three yrs ago.... I buy nothing I'm not an expert on, over $200.00 on E-bay.
That's pretty much everything .... and 200.00 is my 'scam limit'.

Thanks to you and Micheal for experienced referals!

RJ
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

S&P Specialties in Utica, MI is one I know for sure is a scam.

They're probably long gone by now, but you never know.

He also had a Paypal account under A2Z Wholesale (or maybe A to Z Wholesale), so he might be operating under either of those names now.
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This is good information for us 05-06 owners who might have an OPDA issue down the line.
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Badcop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ
Thanks guys....but not answering my question!
I don't have the time to rebuild this engine (did rebuild my 98, in profile).
What time I have will go into fixing suspension and body. And, a professionally rebuilt engine will aid resale price, IMO.

And don't want to spend the money on a Stroker....just for resale!
Want to play with this 97 TJ (winter project) and sell in spring. With remanufactured engine, I'll have under 3500 in it.
With new engine and a few body/suspension parts and new tires, can sell around here, for $6,000 -7,000.

Just need comments on anyones experience with remanufactured engines!

RJ
Sorry dude, wasn't trying to take away from your thread. If your going crate period, I had a buddy do the Autozone brand crate. Took a few to get it once he ordered it but for leas than than 2500$ it was delivered a true turn key. With his old one already out, took us all of a day before it fired back up. Took longer to remember where we put the starter than it did to install lol. He still has it 4 years and some 80k miles later
Badcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Boopie63

Autozone also has a 36 month unlimited mile warranty on the crate motors. I'm looking to go that way myself
Boopie63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
This is good information for us 05-06 owners who might have an OPDA issue down the line.
Looking forward to it...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Anyone had experience with any of the engine rebuilders?
Looking for recommendation on who to go with.... or who to stay away from.
Had one favorable report on JEEP ENGINE SALES.
Anyone know of them or had dealings?

RJ
The bottom line is what do you want to spend?If you want a little more...Golen engines.Elaborate please.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.golenengineservice.com/en...ep-long-block/
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.