regular control arms vs. heim joint control arms. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > regular control arms vs. heim joint control arms.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
lucasinpsj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

regular control arms vs. heim joint control arms.

what are the advantages or disadvantages of the regular control arms from skyjacker versus the single flex heim joint control arms?

lucasinpsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
SpeedJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

More flex and less binding would be the obvious plus.
The downside, from what I hear, is that the heims are not greasable and therefore wear out quickly. But, I will say that several people locally seem to love them. But if you ask on this board most people seem to hate Skyjacker entirely.
I have a complete 4" single flex kit I'm waiting to install. The only reason I bought it was the price. I got a great deal on it. I hope all the bad things I hear are wrong. LOL
On another note I've heard a rumor that Currie's johnny joints use the same threads so those would make nice replacements in the future if that is true.
Can anyone confirm this?
SpeedJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Kinelar

My local Jeep club loves Skyjacker, even more so after they partially (or fully, cant remember) donated a suspension lift for a YJ Jeep that some of my club members were building up as a welcome home present for a member who was fighting overseas.
Kinelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
lucasinpsj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

what do members in your club like? Or should I say use.
single flex joints or the standard ones?
lucasinpsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #5
Kinelar

Im kinda new and I havent checked out or seen what everyone has. I would assume that whatever one offers more flex is better. I havent looked into it much though, you might want to search google. I just wanted the poster to know that Skyjacker wasnt all bad.
Kinelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 07:04 AM   #6
Baas

I have been reluctant to post on this forum, as some has flouted my previous advice as non-sense but as a Jeeper here is my 2 cencs that is in no way gospel and I accept no responsibility (Or criticism) for it.
I built and installed my own heim jointed control arms. I bought mine at my local bearing shop and they are actually called pillow ball bearings. IKO is the manufacturer and the part numbers are POS14 and POS10. They do have grease nipples on.
The flex is amazing! Even with standard coil springs and shocks! One down side is that they make a Clack-clack sound when on the track as the joint moves from one side to another.
Hope this helps

Do a search on Heim joints and you will see my posts on the subject.
Baas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
1BLKJP

Heim joints will provide way better rotation and flex than standard joints do. They provide about 28 degrees of rotation. I can't quite remember what a standard joint is. Currie's Johnny Joints, RE's Cartridge joints and others provide about 32 degrees of rotation so the heims are right in line. They all blow away a standard joint with rubber bushings though.

As Baas said there are greasable heims, but they are a harder to keep conditioned hence the noise that some of them make. If price is an issue then go with what you can, but everything is upgradable so keep that in mind also. If you are putting together your own suspension good heims are going to run you like 100 a piece.
1BLKJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
Baas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP
good heims are going to run you like 100 a piece.
In South Africa I paid R75.00 for the POS14 (14mm) that is about $12.00 each.
The reason they are making a noice is because of the bushes either side of the joint (to keep it centered). The joint hits the metal when it twist making the noice. I am having Nylon bushes with steel tube inside made, this will eliminate the noice.
The Johny Joints are the best but unfortunately we don't get them here so heim joints are the 2nd best.
Baas is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.